Remote Assistance like PC Anywhere?

I'll be out of the country for a couple of months and was wondering if Remote Assistance will give me the ability to access my desktop from my laptop? Is it possible to configure the utility to automaticly accept me when I want to access my files? If so how would I configure RA to auto accept me?

Thank you for your help

Richard
3 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance anywhere

    If your office/home desktop is running XP Pro then Remote Desktop is more appropriate.

    From the FAQ...

    Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    differences between these features.

    a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at another
    computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    files and applications.
    b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The
    helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.

    Remote Desktop...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remotedesktop.asp

    Remote Assistance...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/remoteassist/default.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remoteassist.asp

    Beyond that, with Remote Assistance requires a user on the remote PC, ie. in your case the
    office/home PC you want to access, to give permission to both view and control the desktop. It is
    designed for a help desk function.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Richard T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'll be out of the country for a couple of months and was wondering if Remote Assistance will
    > give me the ability to access my desktop from my laptop? Is it possible to configure the utility
    > to automaticly accept me when I want to access my files? If so how would I configure RA to auto
    > accept me?
    >

    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Richard

    Additionally, if your office/home PC is running XP Home then a choice is VNC. Note that the VNC data
    stream is *NOT* encrypted natively, which is a potential security risk when used over the public
    internet. Look at UltraVNC which has an encryption plug-in available.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    --

    > If your office/home desktop is running XP Pro then Remote Desktop is more appropriate.
    >
    > From the FAQ...
    >
    > Q. What are the differences between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?
    > A. Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying technology, but there are
    > differences between these features.
    >
    > a.. Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example, when you are at
    > another
    > computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your work computer from home and have access to
    > files and applications.
    > b.. Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to access your computer to
    > provide assistance. The helper views your computer's screen and communicates through a chat box.
    > The
    > helper can remotely control your computer to resolve a problem.
    >
    > Remote Desktop...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remotedesktop.asp
    >
    > Remote Assistance...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/remoteassist/default.asp
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remoteassist.asp
    >
    > Beyond that, with Remote Assistance requires a user on the remote PC, ie. in your case the
    > office/home PC you want to access, to give permission to both view and control the desktop. It is
    > designed for a help desk function.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Richard T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'll be out of the country for a couple of months and was wondering if Remote Assistance will
    >> give me the ability to access my desktop from my laptop? Is it possible to configure the utility
    >> to automaticly accept me when I want to access my files? If so how would I configure RA to auto
    >> accept me?
    >>

    >> Thank you for your help
    >>
    >> Richard

    Thank you for the information! Very helpful

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP