Local and remote connection in parallell

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 11, 2004 6:01:08 AM

Hi,
I recently learned that it's not possible to connect to a machine with win xp pro both locally and remote at the same time. When I do this, my local session locks and can't be used until the remote session logs off.

My question is if this also applies to windows 2003 server? Why is this limitation and is it possible to get around it?

Thanks,
Joakim

More about : local remote connection parallell

May 11, 2004 9:15:30 PM

Windows 2003 server is really a different animal. If you buy the proper
licensing for 2003 server, then you can have as many remote connections
simultaneously (plus the local console connection) as you've licensed.
However, I believe (experts intervene, please) that you can set windows 2003
server in a mode which will allow one (1) remote desktop connection for
administration purposes- no special licensing required. I do not know if
that results in the same situation that exists with xp pro.

Paul

"Joakim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I recently learned that it's not possible to connect to a machine with win
xp pro both locally and remote at the same time. When I do this, my local
session locks and can't be used until the remote session logs off.

> My question is if this also applies to windows 2003 server? Why is this
limitation and is it possible to get around it?

> Thanks,
> Joakim
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:08:50 AM

No... Win2K3 server allows two remote sessions and one console
session (also available remotely).. However, if you remotely connect
to the console session, it will lock the desktop... However, you can
use the shadow functionality to view the console session...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:01:08 -0700, Joakim

!