Local and remote connection in parallell

Hi,
I recently learned that it's not possible to connect to a machine with win xp pro both locally and remote at the same time. When I do this, my local session locks and can't be used until the remote session logs off.

My question is if this also applies to windows 2003 server? Why is this limitation and is it possible to get around it?

Thanks,
Joakim
2 answers Last reply
More about local remote connection parallell

    Windows 2003 server is really a different animal. If you buy the proper
    licensing for 2003 server, then you can have as many remote connections
    simultaneously (plus the local console connection) as you've licensed.
    However, I believe (experts intervene, please) that you can set windows 2003
    server in a mode which will allow one (1) remote desktop connection for
    administration purposes- no special licensing required. I do not know if
    that results in the same situation that exists with xp pro.

    Paul

    "Joakim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I recently learned that it's not possible to connect to a machine with win
    xp pro both locally and remote at the same time. When I do this, my local
    session locks and can't be used until the remote session logs off.

    > My question is if this also applies to windows 2003 server? Why is this
    limitation and is it possible to get around it?

    > Thanks,
    > Joakim

    No... Win2K3 server allows two remote sessions and one console
    session (also available remotely).. However, if you remotely connect
    to the console session, it will lock the desktop... However, you can
    use the shadow functionality to view the console session...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:01:08 -0700, Joakim

    >Hi,
    >I recently learned that it's not possible to connect to a machine with win xp pro both locally and remote at the same time. When I do this, my local session locks and can't be used until the remote session logs off.
    >
    >My question is if this also applies to windows 2003 server? Why is this limitation and is it possible to get around it?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Joakim

Connection Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Windows XP