Other Users Cannot Access Offline Files

a b D Laptop
May 11, 2004 10:26:05 AM

Hello,
We have SBS 2000 and XP professional clients. I just bought a xp pro laptop and enabled offline files on the company data (server) share and configured "make available offline" on the laptop.
I restart the laptop and login with my cached credentials. OK for me.
My boss then logs in and although he can see the files in explorer (we are using UNC path), he gets "file cannot be found" for a MSWord file (and similar messages with other file types).
Our permissions are similar on the network (and both now set as administrator on the laptop).
I can do the reverse of this and get him to set up the "offline files", but then I can't open them.
Note: this is the first time we have used offline files.

If anyone can anyone provide me with a little guidance, that would be great.
TIA
Stephen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 12:10:58 AM

I don't think two users can concurrently make the same file(s)
offline... Someone had this issue around a year and a half ago with
no resolution found.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 11 May 2004 06:26:05 -0700, StudioTwo

>Hello,
>We have SBS 2000 and XP professional clients. I just bought a xp pro laptop and enabled offline files on the company data (server) share and configured "make available offline" on the laptop.
>I restart the laptop and login with my cached credentials. OK for me.
>My boss then logs in and although he can see the files in explorer (we are using UNC path), he gets "file cannot be found" for a MSWord file (and similar messages with other file types).
>Our permissions are similar on the network (and both now set as administrator on the laptop).
>I can do the reverse of this and get him to set up the "offline files", but then I can't open them.
>Note: this is the first time we have used offline files.
>
>If anyone can anyone provide me with a little guidance, that would be great.
>TIA
>Stephen

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 1:41:50 PM

Hello Jeffrey.
Thanks for you quick response. Could I describe what it is a want to do?
We have a laptop purchased for the sales department.
On the server, there is a shared "sales department" folder. I wish to make
this sales folder available "offline", so that when _any_ of the sales staff
take the laptop out to a customer, they can still access their spreadsheets
etc. They will not be connected to our network in any way during these
times.

I am I correct in understanding there are issues with achieving this?

Thanks once again
Stephen

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:kbu2a0pjaummgd384cltnfe4ibus295l54@4ax.com...