Closed

Steam Update Problems

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 5, 2005 11:48:05 AM

Hi,

I have been trying to play DOD and steam keeps trying to update but never
gets past 0%. Has anyone else been experiencing problems or have any
suggestions.

Regards,

Geoff

More about : steam update problems

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:39:25 PM

Geoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to play DOD and steam keeps trying to update but never
> gets past 0%. Has anyone else been experiencing problems or have any
> suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Geoff

Ensure that Steam is fully closed (kill it in the Task Manager if
necessary). Delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" fine in your Steam folder.
Run Steam again.

Seeme to be the general fix for these sorts of things.
September 5, 2005 9:39:26 PM

Hi Gfree,

I just tried that and I still can't get past 0%.... It says "Steam
temporarily Unavailable"..... Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Geoff

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Geoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying to play DOD and steam keeps trying to update but
never
> > gets past 0%. Has anyone else been experiencing problems or have any
> > suggestions.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Geoff
>
> Ensure that Steam is fully closed (kill it in the Task Manager if
> necessary). Delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" fine in your Steam folder.
> Run Steam again.
>
> Seeme to be the general fix for these sorts of things.
Related resources
September 5, 2005 9:39:27 PM

"Geoff" <gszczypi@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:p mWSe.23846$FA3.11829@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi Gfree,
>
> I just tried that and I still can't get past 0%.... It says "Steam
> temporarily Unavailable"..... Any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>

> Geoff

Can you get into steampowered.com support? Do a search for 'verify my gfc
files' and run the link provided. This will make sure that none of your
files have become corrupted - a very good way to start troubleshooting. HTH
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:40:16 PM

GFree wrote:
> Delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" fine in your Steam folder.

Ehh... that should be "file" instead of "fine", sorry.
September 6, 2005 12:52:27 PM

> > Hi Gfree,
> >
> > I just tried that and I still can't get past 0%.... It says "Steam
> > temporarily Unavailable"..... Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Geoff
> >

> Can you get into steampowered.com support? Do a search for 'verify my gfc
> files' and run the link provided. This will make sure that none of your
> files have become corrupted - a very good way to start troubleshooting.
HTH

Nope, unfortunately all that does is try to update steam... and it won't go
past 0%, sigh
September 6, 2005 2:26:27 PM

>> > Hi Gfree,
>> >
>> > I just tried that and I still can't get past 0%.... It says "Steam
>> > temporarily Unavailable"..... Any other suggestions?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >

>> > Geoff
>> >

>> Can you get into steampowered.com support? Do a search for 'verify my
>> gfc
>> files' and run the link provided. This will make sure that none of your
>> files have become corrupted - a very good way to start troubleshooting.
> HTH
>>

> Nope, unfortunately all that does is try to update steam... and it won't
> go
> past 0%, sigh

Some info from Support at Valve. Don't know if it will help.
Regular Game Downloads
If this is for a regular game download and you are unable to get the game to
update, then try changing the automatic update to "do not automatically
update this game" , wait a minute, then switching it back to "always keep
this game updated".

Of course, if the game was set to "do not automatically update this game"
then change it to "always keep this game updated" and let the rest of the
game download.

Note: Games like Condition Zero requires content from Counter-Strike so you
need to make sure both games have all the content acquired if you are having
problems with CZ. CZ Deleted Scenes requires content from both Condition
Zero and Counter-Strike, so all three need to be 100% acquired for
everything to work.

Next Step to Try
If this procedure fails to get things moving, the next step is to exit from
Steam and delete the clientregistry.blob file typically located:

C:\Program Files\Steam\ClientRegistry.blob

The next time you run Steam it will do a short platform update and then it
should finish the game updates.

Again, be sure to go check all the game properties and make sure they are
set to "always keep this game up to date".

Steam Rate
It's also very important that you make sure your Steam "Rate" setting is
correct for your internet connection, go to:

Steam > Settings > Internet > Internet Connection Speed

If you have an incorrect low connection speed set then it may take a very
long time for you to acquire the game content.
October 26, 2006 5:21:17 AM

I would just like to ask if your running through a proxy server, as there are known problems with running through a proxy connection (although, you probably wouldn't have been able to even log in then so I'm assuming thats not your problem). Good luck resolving the problem!
February 7, 2009 1:46:15 AM

Yes and it pisses me off
May 13, 2009 12:27:28 AM

Quote:

Geoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to play DOD and steam keeps trying to update but never
> gets past 0%. Has anyone else been experiencing problems or have any
> suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Geoff

Ensure that Steam is fully closed (kill it in the Task Manager if
necessary). Delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" fine in your Steam folder.
Run Steam again.

Seeme to be the general fix for these sorts of things.
i have the same problem and i did that then i restarted steam then tried to play my game (team fortress 2)and it doesnt start also when updating im in the thing where you delete the clientregirstry.blob folder and when it updates IT JUST COMES BACK WTH!!!!!??????
May 25, 2009 6:46:31 AM

I am having the same problem. I start Steam and the Steam Update window opens but, it states it cannot contact the Steam network, please try later...

It been doing that for 2 days now, any ideas?

Where can we get help with issues like this?
June 7, 2009 12:48:55 PM

hi

i'm having these dramas with steam and source as well. click on steam and it wants to update, but it just stays there on 0% it's starting to piss me off because source is a phat game. i deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file, but she still would not update. so i then uninstalled source and steam and all that shizzle, restarted the computer and then installed the game again. Still Nothing...i've cruized a few of these forum sites and it seems a heap of people are having these issues. any of you dudes know of a fix for this gay problem?
Anonymous
July 17, 2009 10:34:28 PM

My steam also gets stucked on update, everytime I delete ClientRegistry.blob the update goes to 27% and the update window closes and opens again at 0%, not going further. I'm using a Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium and I didnt got this problem on my Desktop whit Windows XP. :(
Anonymous
July 18, 2009 1:25:22 PM

Nvm problem solved, I deleted steam from the firewall permission list, and added it again whit full permission.
Anonymous
August 16, 2009 7:15:29 PM

Hey, I just thought I'd help you guys out. I had the same problems, but here's what I did.

Required Ports for Steam

Follow that link, then go to your modem's homepage (192.168.0.1 most likely) and add those ports to the firewall exceptions. Steam should work fine after that.
October 17, 2009 11:44:04 AM

I had the same problem, what fixed it for me was the following:
boot OS is safe mode WITH NETWORKING
launch steam and let it update
Restart back into normal windows mode
Should work fine now!

enjoy
Anonymous
October 26, 2009 4:59:49 AM

Hi guys,

I am running on a wireless network with a dg834pn I have been having this issue on and off for the last 6 months or so.

Steam will just sit on updating 0% and it could do this for up to a week before starting to work again

My net will be working but I can only access certain sites.

I worked out that it was an issue with my wireless security. I was using wpa.

if I changed to no encryption it would work but wpa and wpa2 would cause issues.

I changed my wireless encryption to a 64 bit WEP key (this is 10 digits, I used my mobile phone number) and all my issues were resolved.

Hope this helps some people
Anonymous
March 31, 2010 12:23:47 PM

Hi Guys,

I was having the same problem too with steam not downloading properly. I finally checked my running services in services.msc and saw that steam watch service was still running from ages ago.... i stopped this service permantley and restarted my steam and BAM i have no problems any more!

Give it a go.. just check what Steam related services are running.

Thanks
Julz
May 16, 2010 10:59:26 PM

I am fed up with STEAM. After 8 hours of uninstalls, reloads, file deletes, etc I was finally able to get the progress bar to move. I have verizon DSL and I had to login to the router (http://192.168.1.1/) and turned off the firewall. I am sure ' add those ports to the firewall exceptions' would have also fixed this for me, but I could not figure out how to do this in win 7. Good luck to all.
May 22, 2010 11:01:08 AM

hey i am having the same problem too. I have tried all of the solutions to no avail =/ I've tried this on a fresh install of 7 64bit home premium and I am also encountering the same problem -.- any help?
Anonymous
June 13, 2010 1:21:18 AM

hey i have the same thing when i went to tf2 and it frezed so i restart the computer and went back on to steam and it said that it won't let me in to steam so get your ass over here right now :fou:
Anonymous
June 26, 2010 4:19:51 PM

WTF... STEAM TEMPORARY UNAVAILABLE EVEN AFTER UNINSTALLING STEAM FULLY AND DOWNLOADING A LEGIT INSTALLER FROM THE STEAM WEBSITE BUT CANT EVEN ******* OPEN COZ SERVICE UNAVAILABLE.. WTF ??

June 26, 2010 7:25:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!