Required to have XP Pro on both PCs?

I've read that you must be using XP Pro to use the Remote
Desktop feature. My question is this... do both
computers have to be running XP Pro, or only the one
you're trying to connect to, or vice versa?

It appears to me that you must have XP Pro on both PCs -
I've tried connecting to an XP Pro computer from and XP
home computer, and from an XP home computer to an XP Pro
computer and neither of those seem to work. I guess I'm
just looking for confirmation that you definitely have to
have XP Pro on both PCs in order to make Remote Desktop
work.

Thank you!

Pablo

Only the computer you're connecting TO (the host computer) must have xp pro.
The client computer can be running windows 98 with a Terminal Services
client made from windows 2000. I connect to my home computer from work-- my
work computer is win98 se with the Remote desktop client installed. When I
first started, I just used the windows ts client from 2000.

Caveats: If you use a Terminal Services client from NT, it will work, but
you won't get some of the fluffy interface features and ease of use features
that you'll get if you install the Remote Desktop client. It's worthwhile
to have the remote desktop client because there are a lot of new features
that make the connection session really slick.

Paul

"Janelle Bergstrom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read that you must be using XP Pro to use the Remote
> Desktop feature. My question is this... do both
> computers have to be running XP Pro, or only the one
> you're trying to connect to, or vice versa?
>
> It appears to me that you must have XP Pro on both PCs -
> I've tried connecting to an XP Pro computer from and XP
> home computer, and from an XP home computer to an XP Pro
> computer and neither of those seem to work. I guess I'm
> just looking for confirmation that you definitely have to
> have XP Pro on both PCs in order to make Remote Desktop
> work.
>
> Thank you!

Pablo

By the way, I didn't really answer the 2nd part of your post. If you're
having trouble connecting, there are other issues at stake. If you're
behind a router at home, you need to have port forwarding rules. If you're
not, then I assume you can ping your public ip from the remote computer?
(I'm assuming you're making an outside connection). Personal firewall can
wreak havoc. Windows XP's personal internal firewall is the source of many
a network connection problem. I take calls on that all the time where I
work. Also make sure the terminal server service is active and running on
the host pro computer.