Newbie windows movie maker questions

I've just started capturing video from my Sony digital 8 camera using
movie maker. I used the "high quality (PAL)" capture setting as I want
to output to DVD for UK viewing. When I watch the captured file back on
my computer, there are occasional glitches where the picture seems to
jump/speed up and doesn't quite match the sound. The glitches stay in
the same place when I watch again, so it's definitely the file not
something going on with the computer while I'm watching.

I guess I can recapture the glitchy bits and edit them in, but is there
anything I can do to stop them happening in future? I'm running a P4
1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, XP home, video capture via firewire.

Thanks in advance,

- guy
--
Remove the obvious to reply.

Guy,
I think that it might be your pc that is the culprit. The fact that the
glitch comes in the exact same place when you play the clip points to
problems when capturing.

You need fast access to your harddisk when capturing and the best way is to
use a physically separate harddisk. Not just a separate partition on the
same disk where your os and other involved software are stored.

Peter

"Guy Snape" <guy@snapefamily.theobvious.org.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> I've just started capturing video from my Sony digital 8 camera using
> movie maker. I used the "high quality (PAL)" capture setting as I want
> to output to DVD for UK viewing. When I watch the captured file back on
> my computer, there are occasional glitches where the picture seems to
> jump/speed up and doesn't quite match the sound. The glitches stay in
> the same place when I watch again, so it's definitely the file not
> something going on with the computer while I'm watching.
>
> I guess I can recapture the glitchy bits and edit them in, but is there
> anything I can do to stop them happening in future? I'm running a P4
> 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, XP home, video capture via firewire.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - guy
> --
> Remove the obvious to reply.

newman

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

I use all external hard drives now...

I have a portable production studio with a laptop... and a couple of
external harddrives...

firewire... fast.. 7200rpm... 8meg cache... perfect to capture to
and very cheap $175 for 250gig currently.