Remote desktop via vpn

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi

I need to connect to my office pc's desktop remotely. The pc has win xp pro.
Presumably it is better/safer to do it through vpn. What are the step to
access the remote desktop via vpn?

Thanks

Regards

Hi,

You can set Remote Desktop connection via VPN by following the detailed
instructions in the two articles given below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328&Product=winxp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/st
artremote.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/vpns.asp

or

SUMMARY

This article describes how to configure the remote desktop feature in
Windows XP. This feature allows remote control of your Windows XP
Professional-based computer from another computer running Windows XP
Professional or an earlier version of Windows.

MORE INFORMATION
To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
A remote computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional and is
connected to the Internet or on a local area network (LAN).
A local computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium
Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition,
Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or Microsoft Windows 95,
with access to the Internet or the LAN.
Appropriate user accounts and permissions configured on the remote Windows
XP Professional to allow remote access.

How to Configure a Remote Desktop

To configure a remote desktop connection between a remote Windows XP
Professional-based computer and a local computer running one of the
versions of Windows listed earlier in this article, follow these steps.
Step 1: Configure the Remote Computer
On the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
On the shortcut menu that appears, click Properties.
Click the Remote tab, and then click to select the Allow users to connect
remotely to this computer check box.
When you are prompted to confirm this change, click OK.
Click Select Remote Users, and then click Add to specify additional user
accounts to be granted remote access.

NOTE: Administrators are automatically granted remote access privileges.
When you are finished adding user accounts, click OK. Make sure that the
account that is being added does actually exist on the remote computer. If
the account does not exist on the remote computer, create it.
Click OK, and then click OK again.
Step 2: Configure the Local Computer
Configure the Remote Desktop feature on the Windows-based computer. To do
this, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP compact disc (CD) into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
drive on the local computer.
On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen that appears, click Perform
additional tasks.
Click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
Follow the steps of the Remote Desktop Connection InstallShield Wizard to
install Remote Desktop Connection.

NOTE: If Remote Desktop Connection is already installed, you may receive
the following error message:

Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system
already has a built-in version. See More
Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connections on your
start menu.
NOTE: In addition, you can download the Remote Desktop Client from the
following Microsoft Web site:
www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

Step 3: Connect to the Remote Computer
To connect to the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow
these steps:
Log on to the local Windows-based computer.
Make sure that you are connected to the Internet or to the LAN. If you
require a dial-up connection to a virtual private network (VPN) or Remote
Access server, connect to it.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
Click Options.
In the Computer list, type the host name or the IP address of the computer
to which you want to connect.
Type the user name, password, and domain (if applicable) of an account to
which you have allowed remote access into the corresponding boxes, and then
click Connect.
In the Log On to Windows dialog box that appears, type the password of the
account with remote access privileges into the Password box .
In the Log on to list, if applicable, select the domain or remote computer
that you want, and then click OK.

The remote desktop is displayed in a window on the desktop. The remote
Windows XP Professional-based computer is locked during this session.
To disconnect the session, click the Close button in the session window,
and then click OK when you are prompted to disconnect the Windows session.

NOTE: If the remote session is displayed in full-screen mode, you may be
unable to see the Close button. In this case, restore the window from the
remote session banner that is displayed at the top of the session window
(click the Restore button).

I hope the above information helps you.

S.Vijay

Hi

I think this explanation is the best I've seen yet! I'm
trying to connect my laptop (running XP Pro) to my home PC
(running XP Pro) on broadband. Being new to networking,
Remote Desktop seems so hard !

How do I know the computer name to enter when connecting
to the remote computer? I'll connect via internet (to far
for LAN) so what does "host name" mean? On broadband, I
don't have a static IP address assume that to be irelevant.

Thanks a lot.

confers no rights

>.

From the internet, you must use an internet-resolvable domain name or
an IP address... Try considering using a dynamic DNS service that
will update a internet-resolvable name whenever your IP address
changes...

Some options include www.noip.com or www.dyndns.org. Both are free.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:12:38 -0700, "Johan"