Remote desktop via vpn

Hi

I need to connect to my office pc's desktop remotely. The pc has win xp pro.
Presumably it is better/safer to do it through vpn. What are the step to
access the remote desktop via vpn?

Thanks

Regards
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop

    Hi,

    You can set Remote Desktop connection via VPN by following the detailed
    instructions in the two articles given below:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328&Product=winxp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/st
    artremote.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/vpns.asp

    or

    SUMMARY

    This article describes how to configure the remote desktop feature in
    Windows XP. This feature allows remote control of your Windows XP
    Professional-based computer from another computer running Windows XP
    Professional or an earlier version of Windows.

    MORE INFORMATION
    To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
    A remote computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional and is
    connected to the Internet or on a local area network (LAN).
    A local computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium
    Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition,
    Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or Microsoft Windows 95,
    with access to the Internet or the LAN.
    Appropriate user accounts and permissions configured on the remote Windows
    XP Professional to allow remote access.

    How to Configure a Remote Desktop

    To configure a remote desktop connection between a remote Windows XP
    Professional-based computer and a local computer running one of the
    versions of Windows listed earlier in this article, follow these steps.
    Step 1: Configure the Remote Computer
    On the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
    On the shortcut menu that appears, click Properties.
    Click the Remote tab, and then click to select the Allow users to connect
    remotely to this computer check box.
    When you are prompted to confirm this change, click OK.
    Click Select Remote Users, and then click Add to specify additional user
    accounts to be granted remote access.

    NOTE: Administrators are automatically granted remote access privileges.
    When you are finished adding user accounts, click OK. Make sure that the
    account that is being added does actually exist on the remote computer. If
    the account does not exist on the remote computer, create it.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.
    Step 2: Configure the Local Computer
    Configure the Remote Desktop feature on the Windows-based computer. To do
    this, follow these steps:
    Insert the Windows XP compact disc (CD) into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
    drive on the local computer.
    On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen that appears, click Perform
    additional tasks.
    Click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
    Follow the steps of the Remote Desktop Connection InstallShield Wizard to
    install Remote Desktop Connection.

    NOTE: If Remote Desktop Connection is already installed, you may receive
    the following error message:

    Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system
    already has a built-in version. See More
    Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connections on your
    start menu.
    NOTE: In addition, you can download the Remote Desktop Client from the
    following Microsoft Web site:
    www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

    Step 3: Connect to the Remote Computer
    To connect to the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow
    these steps:
    Log on to the local Windows-based computer.
    Make sure that you are connected to the Internet or to the LAN. If you
    require a dial-up connection to a virtual private network (VPN) or Remote
    Access server, connect to it.
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
    Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
    Click Options.
    In the Computer list, type the host name or the IP address of the computer
    to which you want to connect.
    Type the user name, password, and domain (if applicable) of an account to
    which you have allowed remote access into the corresponding boxes, and then
    click Connect.
    In the Log On to Windows dialog box that appears, type the password of the
    account with remote access privileges into the Password box .
    In the Log on to list, if applicable, select the domain or remote computer
    that you want, and then click OK.

    The remote desktop is displayed in a window on the desktop. The remote
    Windows XP Professional-based computer is locked during this session.
    To disconnect the session, click the Close button in the session window,
    and then click OK when you are prompted to disconnect the Windows session.

    NOTE: If the remote session is displayed in full-screen mode, you may be
    unable to see the Close button. In this case, restore the window from the
    remote session banner that is displayed at the top of the session window
    (click the Restore button).

    I hope the above information helps you.

    S.Vijay

    Hi

    I think this explanation is the best I've seen yet! I'm
    trying to connect my laptop (running XP Pro) to my home PC
    (running XP Pro) on broadband. Being new to networking,
    Remote Desktop seems so hard !

    How do I know the computer name to enter when connecting
    to the remote computer? I'll connect via internet (to far
    for LAN) so what does "host name" mean? On broadband, I
    don't have a static IP address assume that to be irelevant.

    Thanks a lot.

    From the internet, you must use an internet-resolvable domain name or
    an IP address... Try considering using a dynamic DNS service that
    will update a internet-resolvable name whenever your IP address
    changes...

    Some options include www.noip.com or www.dyndns.org. Both are free.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:12:38 -0700, "Johan"

Remote Desktop VPN Windows XP