Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mapping Network Drive to Remote Folder

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am trying to set up remote access to files located on a webserver in my office. The server is Windows 2000 Small Business Server. I ahve created the appropriate shares and have created a "My Network Place" to be able to view the files in that location. Howver, I am also trying to connect my bookkeeping software (QuickBooks) to the data store that resides in that folder. When I connect locally through the network at work, it seems to work fine. However, it appears that this program requires a mapped network drive to function properly. I have tried to map this network place, but when the "Select Folder" dialog comes up, it is grayed out and I can't make a selection. I am running Windows XP Pro on the client machine. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 12:29:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Write down the server path for the folder (i.e.,
\\servername\sharename). Go to Windows Explorer, Tools, and Map
Network Drives... Specify the path you wrote down and then the drive
letter you would like... :) 

or

You can map the network drive from the command line with the NET USE
command (i.e., NET USE T: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes) with
the persistent option if you want the drive to persist through
reboots...

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:26:06 -0700, kmcnet
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am trying to set up remote access to files located on a webserver in my office. The server is Windows 2000 Small Business Server. I ahve created the appropriate shares and have created a "My Network Place" to be able to view the files in that location. Howver, I am also trying to connect my bookkeeping software (QuickBooks) to the data store that resides in that folder. When I connect locally through the network at work, it seems to work fine. However, it appears that this program requires a mapped network drive to function properly. I have tried to map this network place, but when the "Select Folder" dialog comes up, it is grayed out and I can't make a selection. I am running Windows XP Pro on the client machine. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 9:36:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for your response Jeffrey. Here is the problem I am running into. I am creating the path via IP address as this machine is located outside of my local network. For example, the Network Place is http://192.168.0.1 (except it is an external IP). I am able to connect, but cannot map the drive. When I go into Windows Explorer and type in http://192.168.0.1 and try to map it to a drive letter, I receive an error message, "The network path http://192.168.0.1 could not be found." Not sure how to get around this.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:11:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Don't use http://192.168.0.1 Use \\192.168.0.1

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone


On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:36:04 -0700, kmcnet
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your response Jeffrey. Here is the problem I am running into. I am creating the path via IP address as this machine is located outside of my local network. For example, the Network Place is http://192.168.0.1 (except it is an external IP). I am able to connect, but cannot map the drive. When I go into Windows Explorer and type in http://192.168.0.1 and try to map it to a drive letter, I receive an error message, "The network path http://192.168.0.1 could not be found." Not sure how to get around this.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks again Jeffrey. I tried \\externalIP\folderto connectto and this also did not work, giving me the same "the network path could not be found" error. To be completely clear, this folder is set up on a Windows 2000 Small Business Server. It is shared out through IIS 5.0. Under the current configuration, I can view all files in this folder through the My Network Places connection, so I think it is configured properly. The server is located behind a firewall with port 10080 open and forwarding to the server for http traffic. I am using the external IP of that particular network to address it along with ":10080" appended to it. Like I said, I have the WebDav portion of it working fine, but simply can't map the drive.

Again, thanks for your help with this matter.
May 17, 2004 5:26:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

http was designed primarily for html related operation.....internet stuff.
try this instead
1 setup an ftp site
2 specify the default landing page for the ftp connection
3 make sure you control access to the folder otherwise outside users will connect using "anonymous" user acct
4 use windows explorer to connect to ftp://ipaddress....
5 provide username and password on the file menu of the window you are using

....ftp was designed specifically for file operations
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:29:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

WebDAV can be a bear to set up at times...

Only other thing is to double check the firewalls (all of them) that
may be in the loop... Maybe this port is no longer allowed to pass
through the firewall.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Mon, 17 May 2004 02:56:11 -0700, kmcnet
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks again Jeffrey. I tried \\externalIP\folderto connectto and this also did not work, giving me the same "the network path could not be found" error. To be completely clear, this folder is set up on a Windows 2000 Small Business Server. It is shared out through IIS 5.0. Under the current configuration, I can view all files in this folder through the My Network Places connection, so I think it is configured properly. The server is located behind a firewall with port 10080 open and forwarding to the server for http traffic. I am using the external IP of that particular network to address it along with ":10080" appended to it. Like I said, I have the WebDav portion of it working fine, but simply can't map the drive.
>
>Again, thanks for your help with this matter.
January 22, 2008 1:17:54 PM

Does this function (mapping an external IP shared folder) need to have a VPN setup? I still can't map an external ip drive

can anyone help?
December 9, 2009 8:35:44 PM

This is easy.

Go to your external drive where you created the sharing folder. Right click on it and under the Sharing tab there is the Network address you need to map your Network Drive.
September 12, 2012 6:35:41 PM

hok said:
Does this function (mapping an external IP shared folder) need to have a VPN setup? I still can't map an external ip drive

can anyone help?


I don't know if you ever fixed this, the post is four years old.
I was having a problem mapping a network drive from Window XP to Windows XP computers using a remote routed VPN connection. Each side of the VPN is a different subnet so netbios names won't work since broadcasts are not sent across a routed conneciton. (If you have a domain controller and DNS set up then this won't be a problem).

In the map network drive window I selected z: and then used \\192.168.1.132\filefoldername

This didn't work at first but I had to turn the Windows firewall off on the remote computer and then it worked. The Windows sharing dialog box says that the windows firewall will let connections through but that seems to only be true for the local subnet.
!