Camcorder to Firewire Interface

I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
Firewire Interface?

Russ
White bear Lake, MN
12 answers Last reply
More about camcorder firewire interface

    If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
    has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.
    Roman

    Russ said:

    >>my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. >>

    The 340 is a Digital8 and all D8s are supposed to have a firewire output
    socket. Maybe you just didn't find it. They hide it pretty well on some models
    and normally, they only provide you with a USB cabel which is useless for
    video. You can buy the cabel for about $10.

    Dave
    http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

    It has firewire. All Digital 8 and Mini DV camcorders have firewire, although
    Sony calls it "i.link")

    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony_dcrtrv340_camcorder_review.htm

    " The camcorder includes FireWire (i.Link as Sony likes to call it) in and out,
    plus composite in and out. "

    "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
    > Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
    > Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
    > Firewire Interface?
    >
    > Russ
    > White bear Lake, MN

    "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in

    > I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd
    > that my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing
    > as a USB to Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new
    > camcorder with a Firewire Interface?
    >
    > Russ
    > White bear Lake, MN

    To add to the other posters' info - I downloaded the manual for the TRV
    340 and its cousins from the net (http://www.henrys.com/manuals) and
    found instructions about FireWire (called i.Link, of course), on pages
    72, 137, & 191 of that manual.

    The ID # printed on the manual is 3-072-650-12(1).

    HTH,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    A computer without an USB port is old, even then for a few bucks you
    can install a USB 2.0 pci card that will solve your problem even
    easier and cheaper.

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:04:20 -0500, "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
    >Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
    >Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
    >Firewire Interface?
    >
    >Russ
    >White bear Lake, MN

    You can't transfer full size DV video over the camera USB port. It is intended
    for transferring stills. I think this is the case with most camcorders that have
    USB in addition to firewire. It doesn't matter what your USB controller is, the
    camcorder isn't designed to transfer full resolution over USB.

    "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >A computer without an USB port is old, even then for a few bucks you
    > can install a USB 2.0 pci card that will solve your problem even
    > easier and cheaper.
    >

    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:04:20 -0500, "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
    >>Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
    >>Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
    >>Firewire Interface?
    >>
    >>Russ
    >>White bear Lake, MN

    Hi

    I think this article will help you:
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/capture-video.html

    Best Regards
    Gary Hendricks
    www.desktop-video-guide.com

    "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<5-ydndLCLNo5cdzcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>...
    > I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
    > Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
    > Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
    > Firewire Interface?
    >
    > Russ
    > White bear Lake, MN

    Thanks to all of you for your replies. I do indeed have a Firewire "Sony's
    iLink" Just have to get a cable.

    Thanks once again.

    Russ
    White Bear Lake, MN
    "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
    > Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
    > Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
    > Firewire Interface?
    >
    > Russ
    > White bear Lake, MN

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:27:06 +0200, Roman Svihorik
    <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote:

    >If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
    >has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.

    No. The camera is designed to dump movies through Firewire, not
    through the USB link, which is for stills.

    There is a Firewire port on your camera. Sony will call it iLink.
    Look harder for it. Maybe in the manual. :-)

    If I understood you correctly even if it is USB 2.0, even the throughput
    would be sufficient, the camcorder is not designed to send "full" video
    using this port?
    I originally thought it is possible...
    Thanks.
    Roman

    Laurence Payne wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:27:06 +0200, Roman Svihorik
    > <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote:
    >

    >>If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
    >>has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.
    >

    > No. The camera is designed to dump movies through Firewire, not
    > through the USB link, which is for stills.

    The Manual!!!??? Weakling! Real men just shove cables into random slots and
    swear alot.

    "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in

    > The Manual!!!??? Weakling! Real men just shove cables into random
    > slots and swear alot.

    You might be describing another aspect of my life!

    Well, I'm just kidding there, but I did get a good laugh from your
    remark...

    Gino

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just
    >> > discoverd that my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there
    >> > such a thing as a USB to Firewire adapter or do I have to go
    >> > out and buy a new camcorder with a Firewire Interface?
    >> >
    >> > Russ
    >> > White bear Lake, MN
    >> >

    >> To add to the other posters' info - I downloaded the manual for
    >> the TRV 340 and its cousins from the net
    >> (http://www.henrys.com/manuals) and found instructions about
    >> FireWire (called i.Link, of course), on pages 72, 137, & 191 of
    >> that manual.
    >>
    >> The ID # printed on the manual is 3-072-650-12(1).
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Gino
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    >> Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Tuner Cards Firewire Camcorders USB Graphics