Camcorder to Firewire Interface

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2004 5:04:20 PM

I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
Firewire Interface?

Russ
White bear Lake, MN
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 12:27:06 AM

If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.
Roman

Russ wrote:

> I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
> Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
> Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
> Firewire Interface?
>
> Russ
> White bear Lake, MN

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:01:34 AM

Russ said:

>>my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. >>

The 340 is a Digital8 and all D8s are supposed to have a firewire output
socket. Maybe you just didn't find it. They hide it pretty well on some models
and normally, they only provide you with a USB cabel which is useless for
video. You can buy the cabel for about $10.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
September 11, 2004 2:41:46 AM

It has firewire. All Digital 8 and Mini DV camcorders have firewire, although
Sony calls it "i.link")

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony_dcrtrv340_cam...

" The camcorder includes FireWire (i.Link as Sony likes to call it) in and out,
plus composite in and out. "

"Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
> Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
> Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
> Firewire Interface?
>
> Russ
> White bear Lake, MN

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:13:51 AM

"Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in

> I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd
> that my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing
> as a USB to Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new
> camcorder with a Firewire Interface?
>
> Russ
> White bear Lake, MN

To add to the other posters' info - I downloaded the manual for the TRV
340 and its cousins from the net (http://www.henrys.com/manuals) and
found instructions about FireWire (called i.Link, of course), on pages
72, 137, & 191 of that manual.

The ID # printed on the manual is 3-072-650-12(1).

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

A computer without an USB port is old, even then for a few bucks you
can install a USB 2.0 pci card that will solve your problem even
easier and cheaper.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:04:20 -0500, "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
>Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
>Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
>Firewire Interface?
>
>Russ
>White bear Lake, MN

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:34:59 AM

You can't transfer full size DV video over the camera USB port. It is intended
for transferring stills. I think this is the case with most camcorders that have
USB in addition to firewire. It doesn't matter what your USB controller is, the
camcorder isn't designed to transfer full resolution over USB.

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>A computer without an USB port is old, even then for a few bucks you
> can install a USB 2.0 pci card that will solve your problem even
> easier and cheaper.
>

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:04:20 -0500, "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
>>Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
>>Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
>>Firewire Interface?
>>
>>Russ
>>White bear Lake, MN

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:06:22 PM

Hi

I think this article will help you:
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/capture-video.html

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
www.desktop-video-guide.com

"Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<5-ydndLCLNo5cdzcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>...
> I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
> Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
> Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
> Firewire Interface?
>
> Russ
> White bear Lake, MN
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:34:52 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I do indeed have a Firewire "Sony's
iLink" Just have to get a cable.

Thanks once again.

Russ
White Bear Lake, MN
"Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd that my
> Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing as a USB to
> Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new camcorder with a
> Firewire Interface?
>
> Russ
> White bear Lake, MN

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 9:51:56 PM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:27:06 +0200, Roman Svihorik
<gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote:

>If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
>has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.

No. The camera is designed to dump movies through Firewire, not
through the USB link, which is for stills.

There is a Firewire port on your camera. Sony will call it iLink.
Look harder for it. Maybe in the manual. :-)
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 11:27:39 PM

If I understood you correctly even if it is USB 2.0, even the throughput
would be sufficient, the camcorder is not designed to send "full" video
using this port?
I originally thought it is possible...
Thanks.
Roman

Laurence Payne wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:27:06 +0200, Roman Svihorik
> <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote:
>

>>If it is USB 2.0 then you could go with it - as far as I know USB 2.0
>>has sufficient throughput to download/upload DV.
>

> No. The camera is designed to dump movies through Firewire, not
> through the USB link, which is for stills.
September 13, 2004 5:01:02 PM

The Manual!!!??? Weakling! Real men just shove cables into random slots and
swear alot.

"Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> "Russ" <risbrandt@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > I acquired a new Dell computer with Firewire card. Just discoverd
> > that my Sony TRV 340 only has a USB output. Is there such a thing
> > as a USB to Firewire adapter or do I have to go out and buy a new
> > camcorder with a Firewire Interface?
> >
> > Russ
> > White bear Lake, MN
> >

> To add to the other posters' info - I downloaded the manual for the TRV
> 340 and its cousins from the net (http://www.henrys.com/manuals) and
> found instructions about FireWire (called i.Link, of course), on pages
> 72, 137, & 191 of that manual.
>
> The ID # printed on the manual is 3-072-650-12(1).
>
> HTH,
> Gino
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
> Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:44:21 AM

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in

> The Manual!!!??? Weakling! Real men just shove cables into random
> slots and swear alot.

You might be describing another aspect of my life!

Well, I'm just kidding there, but I did get a good laugh from your
remark...

Gino

!