Can not view Host and Client monitors while connected to c..

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 3:17:47 AM

Hello;

I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
back to the log-on screen.
What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
configured wrong?

Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.

Thanks
Phil

More about : view host client monitors connected

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 3:43:01 AM

AuthorizedUserPF wrote:
> I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running
> XP Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to
> the host from the client and have all functionality of the host in
> the client, however, when I am connected from the client, the host
> laptop always reverts back to the log-on screen.
> What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make
> changes from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
> Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
> configured wrong?
>
> Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router
> with internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is
> wireless and the desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.

You have missed nothing.. That is the way Remote Desktop functions.

If you remote from the XP Home (or any machine in the world) to the XP Pro
machine, it "locks" the local console from view. If you were actually
logged in locally at the time you remoted in and logged in remotely as the
same user that was logged in locally (you) then you could "push" the console
back to the local console with this command:

tscon 0 /dest:console

Again - that only works if you logged in remotely to the same account that
was ALREADY logged in locally and then you run that command on the remote
machine.

Now there is Remote assistance - but remote assistance requires someone on
both ends od the equation. One on the host to say "yes, the client ca" and
the client themselves.

Otherwise, you will need to use something like UltraVNC.

--
<- Shenan ->
a b D Laptop

Thanks Shenan for the complete explanation. You just confirmed what I had
assumed. I wanted to be sure.
I do have a VNC Program from a company called Real VNC in the UK
Thanks again. I will try the command below, since I am currently on the same
account, before going to install VNC.

Regards
Phil

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> AuthorizedUserPF wrote:
> > I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running
> > XP Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to
> > the host from the client and have all functionality of the host in
> > the client, however, when I am connected from the client, the host
> > laptop always reverts back to the log-on screen.
> > What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make
> > changes from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
> > Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
> > configured wrong?
> >
> > Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router
> > with internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is
> > wireless and the desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.
>
> You have missed nothing.. That is the way Remote Desktop functions.
>
> If you remote from the XP Home (or any machine in the world) to the XP Pro
> machine, it "locks" the local console from view. If you were actually
> logged in locally at the time you remoted in and logged in remotely as the
> same user that was logged in locally (you) then you could "push" the
console
> back to the local console with this command:
>
> tscon 0 /dest:console
>
> Again - that only works if you logged in remotely to the same account that
> was ALREADY logged in locally and then you run that command on the remote
> machine.
>
> Now there is Remote assistance - but remote assistance requires someone on
> both ends od the equation. One on the host to say "yes, the client ca"
and
> the client themselves.
>
> Otherwise, you will need to use something like UltraVNC.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 10:57:19 AM

AuthorizedUserPF wrote:
> Thanks Shenan for the complete explanation. You just confirmed what I
> had assumed. I wanted to be sure.
> I do have a VNC Program from a company called Real VNC in the UK
> Thanks again. I will try the command below, since I am currently on
> the same account, before going to install VNC.

I would highly recommend UltraVNC over just plain RealVNC. They are all
based of the same initial code, but the UlraVNC version has features that
greatly outpace its cousins.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--
<- Shenan ->
a b D Laptop

Including an encryption plug-in if you use VNC over the public internet...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> I would highly recommend UltraVNC over just plain RealVNC. They are all
> based of the same initial code, but the UlraVNC version has features that
> greatly outpace its cousins.
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --

May 14, 2004 4:26:02 PM

You must have XP SP2 to see both at the same time.

----- AuthorizedUserPF wrote: -----

[...]

May 14, 2004 6:53:25 PM

No, SP2 does not have that capability...

--

"danh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You must have XP SP2 to see both at the same time.
>
> ----- AuthorizedUserPF wrote: -----
>
> Hello;
>
> I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
> Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
> from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
> however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
> back to the log-on screen.
> What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
> from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
> Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
> configured wrong?
>
> Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
> internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
> desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.
>
> Thanks
> Phil

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2004 12:54:21 AM

The only workaround for this is to have access to a third XP Pro
machine and use the "shadow" command....

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279656

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

!