Can not view Host and Client monitors while connected to c..

Hello;

I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
back to the log-on screen.
What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
configured wrong?

Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.

Thanks
Phil
7 answers Last reply
More about view host client monitors connected

    AuthorizedUserPF wrote:
    > I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running
    > XP Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to
    > the host from the client and have all functionality of the host in
    > the client, however, when I am connected from the client, the host
    > laptop always reverts back to the log-on screen.
    > What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make
    > changes from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
    > Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
    > configured wrong?
    >
    > Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router
    > with internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is
    > wireless and the desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.

    You have missed nothing.. That is the way Remote Desktop functions.

    If you remote from the XP Home (or any machine in the world) to the XP Pro
    machine, it "locks" the local console from view. If you were actually
    logged in locally at the time you remoted in and logged in remotely as the
    same user that was logged in locally (you) then you could "push" the console
    back to the local console with this command:

    tscon 0 /dest:console

    Again - that only works if you logged in remotely to the same account that
    was ALREADY logged in locally and then you run that command on the remote
    machine.

    Now there is Remote assistance - but remote assistance requires someone on
    both ends od the equation. One on the host to say "yes, the client ca" and
    the client themselves.

    Otherwise, you will need to use something like UltraVNC.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Thanks Shenan for the complete explanation. You just confirmed what I had
    assumed. I wanted to be sure.
    I do have a VNC Program from a company called Real VNC in the UK
    Thanks again. I will try the command below, since I am currently on the same
    account, before going to install VNC.

    Regards
    Phil

    AuthorizedUserPF wrote:
    > Thanks Shenan for the complete explanation. You just confirmed what I
    > had assumed. I wanted to be sure.
    > I do have a VNC Program from a company called Real VNC in the UK
    > Thanks again. I will try the command below, since I am currently on
    > the same account, before going to install VNC.

    I would highly recommend UltraVNC over just plain RealVNC. They are all
    based of the same initial code, but the UlraVNC version has features that
    greatly outpace its cousins.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Including an encryption plug-in if you use VNC over the public internet...

    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > I would highly recommend UltraVNC over just plain RealVNC. They are all
    > based of the same initial code, but the UlraVNC version has features that
    > greatly outpace its cousins.
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    You must have XP SP2 to see both at the same time.

    ----- AuthorizedUserPF wrote: -----

    Hello;

    I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
    Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
    from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
    however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
    back to the log-on screen.
    What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
    from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
    Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
    configured wrong?

    Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
    internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
    desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.

    Thanks
    Phil

    No, SP2 does not have that capability...

    --

    "danh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You must have XP SP2 to see both at the same time.
    >
    > ----- AuthorizedUserPF wrote: -----
    >
    > Hello;
    >
    > I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
    > Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
    > from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
    > however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
    > back to the log-on screen.
    > What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
    > from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
    > Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
    > configured wrong?
    >
    > Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
    > internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
    > desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phil

    The only workaround for this is to have access to a third XP Pro
    machine and use the "shadow" command....

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279656

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:17:47 -0400, "AuthorizedUserPF"
    <pantherfin@msn.com> wrote:

    >Hello;
    >
    >I have managed to set-up Remote access. My Laptop is the host running XP
    >Pro. My desktop is the client running XP Home. I can connect to the host
    >from the client and have all functionality of the host in the client,
    >however, when I am connected from the client, the host laptop always reverts
    >back to the log-on screen.
    >What have I missed that I can not interact with both. That is, make changes
    >from the client while viewing it at the same time on the host?
    >Do I need a third party software to do this or do I have a service
    >configured wrong?
    >
    >Both computers reside at home and are on the same network and router with
    >internet connection sharing running. The laptop (host) is wireless and the
    >desktop (client) is Ethernet connected.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Phil

Laptops Windows XP