Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 does not index my hdds and won't do a thorough search

Last response: in Windows 8
November 14, 2012 3:37:12 AM

Every time I search in Windows 8 in Windows Explorer it takes forever and it never offers to index my HDDs. I have 6 drives and a SSD and this was never the case on Windows 7. One example is that I was looking for a file with the beginning Revo and I searched under "My Computer". It searched for a long time and didn't find it. I went to the drive where I knew it to be and searched again for "Revo" and it came right up. Leading me to believe that this is either not being searched or it's so slow.

How can I get my drives indexed and how can I know if they are being searched?

Thanks

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 14, 2012 12:34:05 PM

Go into Control Panel and click Indexing Options. Click Modify and tick the boxes next to the drives you want to have indexed. Once that is done, click Advanced on the main Indexing Options window and under the Troubleshooting section, click Rebuild. This will force the system to re-index everything that you have selected in the Modify screen.
November 14, 2012 12:38:08 PM

Best answer selected by nativeson8803.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 12:38:52 PM

I will do this, and thank you, but why do I have to do it in the first place, am I missing something? It seems like a feature that should happen automatically like it did in 7.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 14, 2012 3:03:34 PM

Normally it is. It's worked on all of my systems thus far by default.
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:31:12 AM

It worked. No idea why it wasn't already on. My new thing that I want to do is find a way to disable the lock screen on my home pc...

Thanks
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:31:47 AM

It worked. No idea why it wasn't already on. My new thing that I want to do is find a way to disable the lock screen on my home pc...

Thanks
m
l
November 23, 2012 7:08:38 PM

It should be noted that Indexing SSDs is not recommended. They are fast enough that Indexing does not improve searches that much, and the indexing impacts their longevity.

RodeoGeorge
m
l
!