Very odd OCHI problem on my laptop - Anyone else seen this?

Howdy...

Here's a conundrum that I haven't been able to figure out...

Everything was fine on my laptop capturing through my 1394 port with a
Sony Camcorder. Haven't used it in a few week, and haven't done
anything radical to the laptop (no SP2 yet)...

Today, I plugged in my camcorder, and it was recognized as usual
(shows up in My Computer as Sony DV Camcorder).

When I double click on it, however, I get the message "Video Preview
Faliure"...

That's as far as I can get. Can't capture, or get any further... Tried
closing windows, rebooting, different camera, different cable,
nothing...

I even bought a PCMCIA 1394 card tonight from best-buy, and it shows
the same symptoms. Installs with no problems, recognizes the
camcorder, can't get any further...

I tried hooking a firewire drive up to the same port, and it mounts
and works just fine...

So, it seems that ANY 1394 port on my computer (internal or PCMCIA)
will happily recognize any of my camcorders, but will go no further,
and reports the same error message...

Any thoughts, oh smart people of this newsgroup?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have...

Regards,

Ben

Well, I hate it when people solve their problem, but don't write to say what
they did, so here's what happened..

I didn't really solve the problem, just fixed it.

I make incremental backups of my computer everynight (Acronis True Image,
automatic at 3am). I went back to the last time I remembered using my laptop
to capture footage, and restored. The 1394 captured just fine.

So, then I went back to a day after that, and so on, until I came to the
Sept. 2nd backup, and it stopped working. Went back to Sept 1st, and it
worked again...

What happened? I have no idea. There were no significant changes between the
2 backups. All I did was uninstall my version of "Rio Music Manager",
because I had sold my Rio Karma the day before.

I can't imagine why that would effect the 1394 system, so I think I'm just
going to write the whole thing off to a corrupt driver / act of God sort of
experience.

Please feel free to post thoughts. I'm open to suggestions and comments.
Just shows you how important backups can be. I would have hated to have had
to reinstall my whole OS just to solve this problem..

Best regards,

Ben