sharing videos -beware newbie

Hi there,

I am new in this world of video and video editing and I made my first
video from DV camcorder on Movie Maker 2. I am sorry if this has been
asked before, I tried a few searches on Google in this group and on
Papa John's site, but didn't find. Any pointer welcome.

I chose to save on CD-R because I needed to handover the video to my
mother in law. It played well on my PC (WinXPhome, Media player 9). As
I don't have an option to choose the codec, I just let it generate and
burn the CD. The quality of the video was great (AVI) even on full
screen, and it was about 250MB for 22 minutes of play.

Now the CD in faraway in another country, the whole family is trying
to play it, but they get only sound. One tried at work (European
Commision) and I guess it's not old software they have there, but
same. No error message. It won't play on a mac.

So I guess I am missing something important. Is there a way I can send
the right codec to them (which one?) or do I have to ask everybody to
upgrade their OS and PC and shed out the mac?

What do you recommend in general to distribute your videos on CD to
family and friends? Should I purchase something more pro? I don't have
a DVD burner, is that the best option? I live in India so hi-tech
stuff is not always easy to find and can be quite expensive. I guess
that today you don't need to be on the cutting edge to be able to do
the simple task to distribute a video, but as a good newbie, I'm quite
clueless.

Thanks all in advance and sorry if I am breaking any rule in this
first post on this group.

Philippe

"Yuca Frita" wrote ...
> I am new in this world of video and video editing and I made my first
> video from DV camcorder on Movie Maker 2. I am sorry if this has been
> asked before, I tried a few searches on Google in this group and on
> Papa John's site, but didn't find. Any pointer welcome.

Note that www.videohelp.com most likely has the answer to
your question.

I agree with Mr. Sjostrand that something sounds very strange
about having a "great quality" 22-minute AVI file in only 250Mb.
I don't think you have put on that CD what you think you did.

You also didn't mention what country the recipients are in (or more
directly what video standards *you* and *they* are using: NTSC,
PAL, SECAM, etc.)

Phillipe,

250 Mb and good picture on full screen sounds as if you have only exported
the sound track. You do not mention what your export settings from Movie
Maker is. I am not familiar with Movie Maker but isn´t there an export
setting where you can choose either sound, picture or both? Anyway 22
minutes video in miniDV codec should take at least 4Gb of space. Windows
Media Player´s inherent codec wma allows for 22 minutes on a CD but the
quality will be much less than the original. Also ascertain that your
faraway friends have an upgraded version of Mediaplayer.

Peter
Sweden

"Yuca Frita" <yucaf@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi there,
>
> I am new in this world of video and video editing and I made my first
> video from DV camcorder on Movie Maker 2. I am sorry if this has been
> asked before, I tried a few searches on Google in this group and on
> Papa John's site, but didn't find. Any pointer welcome.
>
> I chose to save on CD-R because I needed to handover the video to my
> mother in law. It played well on my PC (WinXPhome, Media player 9). As
> I don't have an option to choose the codec, I just let it generate and
> burn the CD. The quality of the video was great (AVI) even on full
> screen, and it was about 250MB for 22 minutes of play.
>
> Now the CD in faraway in another country, the whole family is trying
> to play it, but they get only sound. One tried at work (European
> Commision) and I guess it's not old software they have there, but
> same. No error message. It won't play on a mac.
>
> So I guess I am missing something important. Is there a way I can send
> the right codec to them (which one?) or do I have to ask everybody to
> upgrade their OS and PC and shed out the mac?
>
> What do you recommend in general to distribute your videos on CD to
> family and friends? Should I purchase something more pro? I don't have
> a DVD burner, is that the best option? I live in India so hi-tech
> stuff is not always easy to find and can be quite expensive. I guess
> that today you don't need to be on the cutting edge to be able to do
> the simple task to distribute a video, but as a good newbie, I'm quite
> clueless.
>
> Thanks all in advance and sorry if I am breaking any rule in this
> first post on this group.
>
> Philippe

martin

"Yuca Frita" <yucaf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I am new in this world of video and video editing and I made my first
> video from DV camcorder on Movie Maker 2. I am sorry if this has been
> asked before, I tried a few searches on Google in this group and on
> Papa John's site, but didn't find. Any pointer welcome.
>
> I chose to save on CD-R because I needed to handover the video to my
> mother in law. It played well on my PC (WinXPhome, Media player 9). As
> I don't have an option to choose the codec, I just let it generate and
> burn the CD. The quality of the video was great (AVI) even on full
> screen, and it was about 250MB for 22 minutes of play.
>
> Now the CD in faraway in another country, the whole family is trying
> to play it, but they get only sound. One tried at work (European
> Commision) and I guess it's not old software they have there, but
> same. No error message. It won't play on a mac.
>
> So I guess I am missing something important. Is there a way I can send
> the right codec to them (which one?) or do I have to ask everybody to
> upgrade their OS and PC and shed out the mac?
>
> What do you recommend in general to distribute your videos on CD to
> family and friends? Should I purchase something more pro? I don't have
> a DVD burner, is that the best option? I live in India so hi-tech
> stuff is not always easy to find and can be quite expensive. I guess
> that today you don't need to be on the cutting edge to be able to do
> the simple task to distribute a video, but as a good newbie, I'm quite
> clueless.
>
> Thanks all in advance and sorry if I am breaking any rule in this
> first post on this group.
>
> Philippe

Can you get your family to visit http://avicodec.duby.info/

Download the freeware utility AVIcodec - it's only a 355KB download.
Once installed, it'll tell them the exact audio and video codecs required to
play back your video.

A search on Google will give them downloads links for any codecs that they
then require.

Martin.

Tim

"Yuca Frita" <yucaf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I chose to save on CD-R because I needed to handover the video to my
> mother in law. It played well on my PC (WinXPhome, Media player 9). As
> I don't have an option to choose the codec, I just let it generate and
> burn the CD. The quality of the video was great (AVI) even on full
> screen, and it was about 250MB for 22 minutes of play.
>
> Now the CD in faraway in another country, the whole family is trying
> to play it, but they get only sound. One tried at work (European
> Commision) and I guess it's not old software they have there, but
> same. No error message. It won't play on a mac.

I didn't have time to read the whole message but I'll chip in a simple
answere anyway. If you want to share videos with other people on cdr and the
quality is not of higest importance. Use the option "Burn to vcd" that is
compatible with almost everything and the option should be available in most
programs.

Else use burn to svcd that is not available everywhere but it is readable by
most players and computers and the quality here is perfectly good.

If you need small files with high quality burn an ordinary divx or xvid file
to a cd. These are .avi files and this is where you get codec problems but
if it works you get higher quality.

Tim