Remote Desktop Connection Stops Responding

Guardian

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Remote desktop connection stops responding after I have
been connected for a couple of hours. I must reboot the
computer accessed remotely to clear the freeze. Has
anyone else encountered this?

> Remote desktop connection stops responding after I have
> been connected for a couple of hours. I must reboot the
> computer accessed remotely to clear the freeze. Has
> anyone else encountered this?

does the program runs at that moment?

This is typically a memory leak in the application that you may be
running...

Try starting/restarting the application you are using periodically...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:05:06 -0700, "Guardian"

>Remote desktop connection stops responding after I have
>been connected for a couple of hours. I must reboot the
>computer accessed remotely to clear the freeze. Has
>anyone else encountered this?

Actually, I figured out the problem. I had updated the Cisco
wireless driver/software on my machine. The automated tool I
used that installed it apparently set up a profile with the
"disable wireless when disconnected" option. When I came in
through RDC, it disconnected me and disabled the wireless
adapter. I did not actual witness this occurring but after I
turned off the option, the problem went away.

What I really want to do is have my DNS name resolve to my wired
adapter IP address and not the wireless (or just disable the
wireless when I have the wired connected), and that would also
solve the problem.

Bill

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> This is typically a memory leak in the application that you may be
> running...
>
> Try starting/restarting the application you are using periodically...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:05:06 -0700, "Guardian"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Remote desktop connection stops responding after I have
> >been connected for a couple of hours. I must reboot the
> >computer accessed remotely to clear the freeze. Has
> >anyone else encountered this?

Have you tried turning off the dynamic DNS name registration for the
wireless adapter?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:27:06 -0400, Bill Rubin <billrubin@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>Actually, I figured out the problem. I had updated the Cisco
>wireless driver/software on my machine. The automated tool I
>used that installed it apparently set up a profile with the
>"disable wireless when disconnected" option. When I came in
>through RDC, it disconnected me and disabled the wireless
>adapter. I did not actual witness this occurring but after I
>turned off the option, the problem went away.
>
>What I really want to do is have my DNS name resolve to my wired
>adapter IP address and not the wireless (or just disable the
>wireless when I have the wired connected), and that would also
>solve the problem.
>
>Bill
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> This is typically a memory leak in the application that you may be
>> running...
>>
>> Try starting/restarting the application you are using periodically...
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:05:06 -0700, "Guardian"
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Remote desktop connection stops responding after I have
>> >been connected for a couple of hours. I must reboot the
>> >computer accessed remotely to clear the freeze. Has
>> >anyone else encountered this?

Here is an old thread on the problem. This is the fix!

The following post was by Scott

I've got it!! Call Microsoft (if you have Premiere support) - Q811080
fixes this! I was getting this at least twice a week (if not more),
but after getting the fix (which is NOT available on the site), all of
the issues have gone away.

It has solved the problem for myself and my office mate. See thread "Remote
Windows XP Freezes" in this newsgroup - 1/30/2004.

"Huei Wang [MSFT]" <hueiwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have any application running while this happen, any non-MS driver
> installed? I like to reproduce this condition to track down the issue.

rights.

> "Scott Parmelee" <scott--nospam.parmelee@thehartford.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I'm on SP1 but thanks for responding.
> > Scott
> >
> > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> wrote
> > in message news:lbkv405l7ghue2rjrbp2a96apprs8hhdrr@4ax.com...
> > > Others in the past have posted this... The concensus (at the time)
> > > was that the terminal service application was leaking memory... I
> > > think installing SP1 solved this problem for many people back then...
> > >
> > > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
> > > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> > >
> > > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > > be answered depending on time availability....
> > >
> > > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > least
> > RDP