can't remote desktop to win 2000 from xp

Hi,
I'm trying to set up a remote connection to a win 2000 pc that I am setting up to be the file server and gateway for my home network. I am planning on locating this win 2000 pc in a remote location so need this access.
I have successfully connected to another xp pc in the network but I get an error saying that the access has not been turned on.
I have:
installed the remote access software from the xp set up disk
installed internet informational services from win 2000 install disk
I cannot locate the web/tsweb on the win 2000 pc
Any help would be wonderful.
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop 2000

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up a remote connection to a win 2000 pc that I am
    > setting up to be the file server and gateway for my home network. I
    > am planning on locating this win 2000 pc in a remote location so need
    > this access. I have successfully connected to another xp pc in the
    > network but I get an error saying that the access has not been turned
    > on.
    > I have:
    > installed the remote access software from the xp set up disk
    > installed internet informational services from win 2000 install disk
    > I cannot locate the web/tsweb on the win 2000 pc
    > Any help would be wonderful.

    Windows 2000 Server?
    Otherwise Windows 2000 Proefessional does not come witht he necessaryu
    Terminal Services CAL to do this.
    What you likely installed was the client that allows you to remote FROM the
    Windows 200 Professional PC to Windows XP Professional, 2000/2003 Server.

    If you want to remote control the 2000 Professional PC (or XP Home PC, Win
    9x PC, etc), then I suggest UltraVNC. ( http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ )

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    That is what I am trying to do, control the 2000 from the XP. All within the network group, not from the internet. We have 2000 machines at work that are controlled by our IT's from home so I thought it could be done here easy enough.

    ----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up a remote connection to a win 2000 pc that I am
    > setting up to be the file server and gateway for my home network. I
    > am planning on locating this win 2000 pc in a remote location so need
    > this access. I have successfully connected to another xp pc in the
    > network but I get an error saying that the access has not been turned
    > on.
    > I have:
    > installed the remote access software from the xp set up disk
    > installed internet informational services from win 2000 install disk
    > I cannot locate the web/tsweb on the win 2000 pc
    > Any help would be wonderful.

    Windows 2000 Server?
    Otherwise Windows 2000 Proefessional does not come witht he necessaryu
    Terminal Services CAL to do this.
    What you likely installed was the client that allows you to remote FROM the
    Windows 200 Professional PC to Windows XP Professional, 2000/2003 Server.

    If you want to remote control the 2000 Professional PC (or XP Home PC, Win
    9x PC, etc), then I suggest UltraVNC. ( http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ )

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Remote Desktop Windows XP