Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

I am stumped. I have a HP M1080n media edition SP1 with a 3.2 P4 and 1 gig
of 3200 memory. It has a 250G harddrive and it is used exclusively for
capturing 8mm digital tape video and using Windows movie maker 2 to burn CD's.
It has never been on the net and is not networked in any way. Only Sony
DCR-trv240 cameras are used. When the machine first arrived in September it
recognized the camera 9 out of 10 times. A reboot would cure the problem.
Then it got worse for a while and then much better and two days ago it
stopped recognizing the camera all together. It is not the cables and it
does it with different cameras so it is with the machine itself.

Event log gives 10005 DCOM errors for the last several months. The services
have COM+ Event System Started Automatic and the COM+ System is Manual and
stopped. I did a few bootlog texts and there are many drivers failing to
load. Could this be the problem? Anyone have a fix on allowable boot errors
and or this issue as a whole? I can post the bootlog if that is allowed.

PS;

I have checked out every service possibility and it sometimes see's the
camera and after a reboot it won't. Then it will even after it didn't at
first! Ahhhhh!!

MadCowboy

"MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
> I am stumped. I have a HP M1080n media edition SP1 with a 3.2 P4 and 1 gig
> of 3200 memory. It has a 250G harddrive and it is used exclusively for
> capturing 8mm digital tape video and using Windows movie maker 2 to burn
CD's.
> It has never been on the net and is not networked in any way. Only Sony
> DCR-trv240 cameras are used. When the machine first arrived in September
it
> recognized the camera 9 out of 10 times. A reboot would cure the problem.
> Then it got worse for a while and then much better and two days ago it
> stopped recognizing the camera all together. It is not the cables and it
> does it with different cameras so it is with the machine itself.
>
> Event log gives 10005 DCOM errors for the last several months. The
services
> have COM+ Event System Started Automatic and the COM+ System is Manual and
> stopped. I did a few bootlog texts and there are many drivers failing to
> load. Could this be the problem? Anyone have a fix on allowable boot
errors
> and or this issue as a whole? I can post the bootlog if that is allowed.
>
> PS;
>
> I have checked out every service possibility and it sometimes see's the
> camera and after a reboot it won't. Then it will even after it didn't at
> first! Ahhhhh!!
>

> MadCowboy

You have checked the HD of errors, haven't you.

If the HD is error free, then, it seems to me that you need to do a clean
reinstall of the OS and apps.

Clean install means to format the C: partition and install the OS from
scratch.
Make sure you have all of your data backed up before formatting the HD.

Do Windows Update (you do have to connect to the Internet to get Windows
Update.)

Install all of the necessary apps.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

I was hoping to avoid that. The problem has changed anyhow. After installing
a new set of drivers from driversguide I got the machine to recognize the
video capture device everytime but now it will not preview or capture any
movies!!
I upgraded to MM2.1 after a SP2 upgrade and same/same.
"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
>> I am stumped. I have a HP M1080n media edition SP1 with a 3.2 P4 and 1
>> gig
>> of 3200 memory. It has a 250G harddrive and it is used exclusively for
>> capturing 8mm digital tape video and using Windows movie maker 2 to burn
> CD's.
>> It has never been on the net and is not networked in any way. Only Sony
>> DCR-trv240 cameras are used. When the machine first arrived in September
> it
>> recognized the camera 9 out of 10 times. A reboot would cure the problem.
>> Then it got worse for a while and then much better and two days ago it
>> stopped recognizing the camera all together. It is not the cables and it
>> does it with different cameras so it is with the machine itself.
>>
>> Event log gives 10005 DCOM errors for the last several months. The
> services
>> have COM+ Event System Started Automatic and the COM+ System is Manual
>> and
>> stopped. I did a few bootlog texts and there are many drivers failing to
>> load. Could this be the problem? Anyone have a fix on allowable boot
> errors
>> and or this issue as a whole? I can post the bootlog if that is allowed.
>>
>> PS;
>>
>> I have checked out every service possibility and it sometimes see's the
>> camera and after a reboot it won't. Then it will even after it didn't at
>> first! Ahhhhh!!
>>

>> MadCowboy
>>

> You have checked the HD of errors, haven't you.
>
> If the HD is error free, then, it seems to me that you need to do a clean
> reinstall of the OS and apps.
>
> Clean install means to format the C: partition and install the OS from
> scratch.
> Make sure you have all of your data backed up before formatting the HD.
>
> Do Windows Update (you do have to connect to the Internet to get Windows
> Update.)
>
> Install all of the necessary apps.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Then uninstall all of the effected drivers and apps.
Reboot computer.
Reinstall all of the drivers and apps.

Run Microsoft Update.

SP2 is known to cause problems with some third party software. Usually a
reinstall of the effected software will solve the problems.

If the cameras connect via USB or Firewire, you must have XP happy with the
USB controller or Firewire controller.

If the camera uses SCSI, you must have an ASPI installed.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> I was hoping to avoid that. The problem has changed anyhow. After
installing
> a new set of drivers from driversguide I got the machine to recognize the
> video capture device everytime but now it will not preview or capture any
> movies!!
> I upgraded to MM2.1 after a SP2 upgrade and same/same.
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > "MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
> >> I am stumped. I have a HP M1080n media edition SP1 with a 3.2 P4 and 1
> >> gig
> >> of 3200 memory. It has a 250G harddrive and it is used exclusively for
> >> capturing 8mm digital tape video and using Windows movie maker 2 to
burn
> > CD's.
> >> It has never been on the net and is not networked in any way. Only Sony
> >> DCR-trv240 cameras are used. When the machine first arrived in
September
> > it
> >> recognized the camera 9 out of 10 times. A reboot would cure the
problem.
> >> Then it got worse for a while and then much better and two days ago it
> >> stopped recognizing the camera all together. It is not the cables and
it
> >> does it with different cameras so it is with the machine itself.
> >>
> >> Event log gives 10005 DCOM errors for the last several months. The
> > services
> >> have COM+ Event System Started Automatic and the COM+ System is Manual
> >> and
> >> stopped. I did a few bootlog texts and there are many drivers failing
> >> load. Could this be the problem? Anyone have a fix on allowable boot
> > errors
> >> and or this issue as a whole? I can post the bootlog if that is
allowed.

> >> PS;
> >>
> >> I have checked out every service possibility and it sometimes see's
the
> >> camera and after a reboot it won't. Then it will even after it didn't
at
> >> first! Ahhhhh!!
> >>

> >> MadCowboy
> >>

> > You have checked the HD of errors, haven't you.
> >
> > If the HD is error free, then, it seems to me that you need to do a
clean
> > reinstall of the OS and apps.
> >
> > Clean install means to format the C: partition and install the OS from
> > scratch.
> > Make sure you have all of your data backed up before formatting the HD.
> >
> > Do Windows Update (you do have to connect to the Internet to get Windows
> > Update.)
> >
> > Install all of the necessary apps.
> >
> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> > --

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Well the only app that is affected is MM2 and as I said there is no
uninstall possible short of deleting it out of windows explorer and registry
and trying to clean up the reg.
It isn't usb or firewire just a standard analog out composite RCA style jack
in.
Also this problem existed before I upgraded to SP2.

> Then uninstall all of the effected drivers and apps.
> Reboot computer.
> Reinstall all of the drivers and apps.
>
> Run Microsoft Update.
>
> SP2 is known to cause problems with some third party software. Usually a
> reinstall of the effected software will solve the problems.
>
> If the cameras connect via USB or Firewire, you must have XP happy with
> the
> USB controller or Firewire controller.
>
> If the camera uses SCSI, you must have an ASPI installed.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
> "MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
>> I was hoping to avoid that. The problem has changed anyhow. After
> installing
>> a new set of drivers from driversguide I got the machine to recognize the
>> video capture device everytime but now it will not preview or capture any
>> movies!!
>> I upgraded to MM2.1 after a SP2 upgrade and same/same.
>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> > "MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
> burn
>> > CD's.
> September
>> > it
> problem.
> it

>> > services
>> > errors
> allowed.

> the
> at

>> > You have checked the HD of errors, haven't you.
>> >
>> > If the HD is error free, then, it seems to me that you need to do a
> clean
>> > reinstall of the OS and apps.
>> >
>> > Clean install means to format the C: partition and install the OS from
>> > scratch.
>> > Make sure you have all of your data backed up before formatting the HD.
>> >
>> > Do Windows Update (you do have to connect to the Internet to get
>> > Windows
>> > Update.)
>> >
>> > Install all of the necessary apps.
>> >
>> > --
>> > CSM1
>> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> > --

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

most inanimate objects can't see. see.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

What is MM2?

Its full name please.

What do you mean by "deleting it out of windows explorer and registry"?

If MM2 is video app, then the uninstall would be in Control Panel>Add Remove
Programs.

A lot of this thread has been lost due to not quoting the whole message each
time.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> Well the only app that is affected is MM2 and as I said there is no
> uninstall possible short of deleting it out of windows explorer and
registry
> and trying to clean up the reg.
> It isn't usb or firewire just a standard analog out composite RCA style
jack
> in.
> Also this problem existed before I upgraded to SP2.
>

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Then uninstall all of the effected drivers and apps.
> > Reboot computer.
> > Reinstall all of the drivers and apps.
> >
> > Run Microsoft Update.
> >
> > SP2 is known to cause problems with some third party software. Usually a
> > reinstall of the effected software will solve the problems.
> >
> > If the cameras connect via USB or Firewire, you must have XP happy with
> > the
> > USB controller or Firewire controller.
> >
> > If the camera uses SCSI, you must have an ASPI installed.
> >
> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> > --
> > "MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
> >> I was hoping to avoid that. The problem has changed anyhow. After
> > installing
> >> a new set of drivers from driversguide I got the machine to recognize
the
> >> video capture device everytime but now it will not preview or capture
any
> >> movies!!
> >> I upgraded to MM2.1 after a SP2 upgrade and same/same.
> >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > burn
> > September
> > problem.
> > it

Manual
> > allowed.

> > the
> > at

> > clean

HD.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

OK I need to use the A/V (analog?) interface with this setup because I
require the time and date stamp to be inside of the frame and that is the
only way to do it. So I don't use firewire or USB.
The problem is that MM2 does not show up at all in add/remove programs or
come with a built in uninstall! Even my JV16 powertools program does not see
it as installed software. So I can think of no other way to remove it and
try a fresh install except to delete the program folder right out of windows
explorer and trying to remove all registry keys etc. How else? I just must
be a bad install of MM somehow!? Processor plenty cool and brand new machine
and I just flashed the bios and did all recommended updates with no effect.

Here is the reply I just sent to Sony camera folks. This is a sony
dcr-trv240 digital8 camcorder on an HP m1080n media center PC.

I did find this out and that is why I am using the a/v interface yet The
Windows Movie Maker Application started to get real buggy about seeing the
video capture device (A Conexant 2388x video capture device built in an HP
m1080n Media Center PC) Only every other boot and finally never. I tried to
install new drivers for that and fixed that problem and now movie maker can
not preview or capture anything but a blank screen. I have tried the
original MM version2.0.3312.0 and tried to upgrade the MM v2.1 that goes
with Service Pack 2 and and it is always the same thing. I can always see
the Conexant capture device but when I choose composite as I always have and
go to capture the preview screen is blue until I start the camera playback
and then it just goes black. I can capture a black screen but that is all. I
can play back earlier captured videos just fine. I thought it might be a
camera driver issue so I asked you about drivers but all you have is USB
drivers which is not my problem. I have spent 4 days and 50 hours on this
problem so if you could help I would be most grateful as this is a business
computer and no one seems to be able to help me with this problem.

> OK I need to use the A/V (analog?) interface with this setup because I
> require the time and date stamp to be inside of the frame and that is the
> only way to do it. So I don't use firewire or USB.
> The problem is that MM2 does not show up at all in add/remove programs or
> come with a built in uninstall! Even my JV16 powertools program does not
see
> it as installed software. So I can think of no other way to remove it and
> try a fresh install except to delete the program folder right out of
windows
> explorer and trying to remove all registry keys etc. How else? I just must
> be a bad install of MM somehow!? Processor plenty cool and brand new
machine
> and I just flashed the bios and did all recommended updates with no
effect.

> Here is the reply I just sent to Sony camera folks. This is a sony
> dcr-trv240 digital8 camcorder on an HP m1080n media center PC.
>

> I did find this out and that is why I am using the a/v interface yet The
> Windows Movie Maker Application started to get real buggy about seeing the
> video capture device (A Conexant 2388x video capture device built in an HP
> m1080n Media Center PC) Only every other boot and finally never. I tried
> install new drivers for that and fixed that problem and now movie maker
can
> not preview or capture anything but a blank screen. I have tried the
> original MM version2.0.3312.0 and tried to upgrade the MM v2.1 that goes
> with Service Pack 2 and and it is always the same thing. I can always see
> the Conexant capture device but when I choose composite as I always have
and
> go to capture the preview screen is blue until I start the camera playback
> and then it just goes black. I can capture a black screen but that is all.
> can play back earlier captured videos just fine. I thought it might be a
> camera driver issue so I asked you about drivers but all you have is USB
> drivers which is not my problem. I have spent 4 days and 50 hours on this
> problem so if you could help I would be most grateful as this is a
business
> computer and no one seems to be able to help me with this problem.

Now you tell what device that is giving you the big problem.
conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder

PDF info file.
http://www.conexant.com/servlets/DownloadServlet/102571A.pdf?FileId=1892

http://www.conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=720

These links give information, but no software download. The only way to get
any information about the video capture device in your computer is contact
the Sale rep at this link.

Sales Representative Contact
http://www.conexant.com/products/weblead.jsp?id=720

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

I also like to bring my DVDs with me when I fly so that I can watch my
recorded shows on my laptop on the airplane. This is possible if you
download and install the latest Windows XP Media Center Edition updates:
Q329979_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe, and Q329262_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe, and you are
running Windows Media Player 9 Series.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9a18b7d4-0240-44e3-80b3-21cd39c6f92f

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3d00ca07-5601-43be-9e33-8b655881b8ea&displaylang=en

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"MadCowboy" <madcowboy@chuckwagon.com> wrote in message
> OK I need to use the A/V (analog?) interface with this setup because I
> require the time and date stamp to be inside of the frame and that is the
> only way to do it. So I don't use firewire or USB.
> The problem is that MM2 does not show up at all in add/remove programs or
> come with a built in uninstall! Even my JV16 powertools program does not
> see it as installed software. So I can think of no other way to remove it
> and try a fresh install except to delete the program folder right out of
> windows explorer and trying to remove all registry keys etc. How else? I
> just must be a bad install of MM somehow!? Processor plenty cool and brand
> new machine and I just flashed the bios and did all recommended updates
> with no effect.
>
> Here is the reply I just sent to Sony camera folks. This is a sony
> dcr-trv240 digital8 camcorder on an HP m1080n media center PC.
>

> I did find this out and that is why I am using the a/v interface yet The
> Windows Movie Maker Application started to get real buggy about seeing the
> video capture device (A Conexant 2388x video capture device built in an HP
> m1080n Media Center PC) Only every other boot and finally never. I tried
> install new drivers for that and fixed that problem and now movie maker
> can
> not preview or capture anything but a blank screen. I have tried the
> original MM version2.0.3312.0 and tried to upgrade the MM v2.1 that goes
> with Service Pack 2 and and it is always the same thing. I can always see
> the Conexant capture device but when I choose composite as I always have
> and
> go to capture the preview screen is blue until I start the camera playback
> and then it just goes black. I can capture a black screen but that is all.
> can play back earlier captured videos just fine. I thought it might be a
> camera driver issue so I asked you about drivers but all you have is USB
> drivers which is not my problem. I have spent 4 days and 50 hours on this
> problem so if you could help I would be most grateful as this is a
> business
> computer and no one seems to be able to help me with this problem.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Hey folks if any of you are interested it was a bad capture card. Coexant
card lasted less than 4 months that came with HP media center m1080n. A new
ATI radeaon x600 all-in-wonder with the proper WDM drivers (which were not
on the install disk but on the website) did the trick.

Thanks for the help!!

MC