What would be the problem with using a laptop (P3 1.5Ghz 256 mb RAM)
for video editing and DVD burning? The laptop has a DVD drive in it
that plays DVDs fine.

I have a laptop and Im considering the purchase of a firewire card,
firewire DVD burner and firewire 7200 HD (does this exist?). I
realize I would be limited with the processor speed but is that the
only problem I would run into?

I have a sony TRV70 that I would link with ilink to the IBM T40
laptop.

Thanks

"J" <Majicrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What would be the problem with using a laptop (P3 1.5Ghz 256 mb RAM)
> for video editing and DVD burning? The laptop has a DVD drive in it
> that plays DVDs fine.
>
> I have a laptop and Im considering the purchase of a firewire card,
> firewire DVD burner and firewire 7200 HD (does this exist?). I
> realize I would be limited with the processor speed but is that the
> only problem I would run into?
>
> I have a sony TRV70 that I would link with ilink to the IBM T40
> laptop.
>
> Thanks

You could have lots of problems.
You will not be able to capture to the external drive.
The machine is strapped for memory.
The P3 is old, and missing the MMX instruction set that video editing relies
on.

All these possible problems knock down your odds.

Machines based on the Centrino chipset are much better, because the Centrino
CPU has the MMX instructions, and the USB ports are on a different bus from
the Firewire bus. I have successfully captured to an external drive with
this setup.

Just to clarify...

The P3 does have MMX and SSE. What it's missing is SSE2, which is what the
P4 has.

I've edited video on a Celeron 550Mhz (no SSE, just MMX) and it worked,
although it was a pain in the arse. And it wont run Premiere Pro because
Premiere Pro does NEED SSE.

Jack

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "J" <Majicrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > What would be the problem with using a laptop (P3 1.5Ghz 256 mb RAM)
> > for video editing and DVD burning? The laptop has a DVD drive in it
> > that plays DVDs fine.
> >
> > I have a laptop and Im considering the purchase of a firewire card,
> > firewire DVD burner and firewire 7200 HD (does this exist?). I
> > realize I would be limited with the processor speed but is that the
> > only problem I would run into?
> >
> > I have a sony TRV70 that I would link with ilink to the IBM T40
> > laptop.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> You could have lots of problems.
> You will not be able to capture to the external drive.
> The machine is strapped for memory.
> The P3 is old, and missing the MMX instruction set that video editing
relies
> on.
>
> All these possible problems knock down your odds.
>
> Machines based on the Centrino chipset are much better, because the
Centrino
> CPU has the MMX instructions, and the USB ports are on a different bus
from
> the Firewire bus. I have successfully captured to an external drive with
> this setup.

Thanks for the correction.

"Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)" <d.kellyNOSPAM@NOSPAM.ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

> > > realize I would be limited with the processor speed but is that the
> > > only problem I would run into?
> > >
> > > I have a sony TRV70 that I would link with ilink to the IBM T40
> > > laptop.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > You could have lots of problems.
> > You will not be able to capture to the external drive.
> > The machine is strapped for memory.
> > The P3 is old, and missing the MMX instruction set that video editing
> relies
> > on.
> >
> > All these possible problems knock down your odds.
> >
> > Machines based on the Centrino chipset are much better, because the
> Centrino
> > CPU has the MMX instructions, and the USB ports are on a different bus
> from
> > the Firewire bus. I have successfully captured to an external drive with

I incorrectly indicated my processor as a Intel P3 in my original
post. Its actually a Pentium M 1.5ghz. Does this make a difference?

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <d.kellyNOSPAM@NOSPAM.ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<ci5141$luu$1@uns-a.ucl.ac.uk>...
> Just to clarify...
>
> The P3 does have MMX and SSE. What it's missing is SSE2, which is what the
> P4 has.
>
> I've edited video on a Celeron 550Mhz (no SSE, just MMX) and it worked,
> although it was a pain in the arse. And it wont run Premiere Pro because
> Premiere Pro does NEED SSE.
>
> Jack
>

> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "J" <Majicrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > What would be the problem with using a laptop (P3 1.5Ghz 256 mb RAM)
> > > for video editing and DVD burning? The laptop has a DVD drive in it
> > > that plays DVDs fine.
> > >
> > > I have a laptop and Im considering the purchase of a firewire card,
> > > firewire DVD burner and firewire 7200 HD (does this exist?). I
> > > realize I would be limited with the processor speed but is that the
> > > only problem I would run into?
> > >
> > > I have a sony TRV70 that I would link with ilink to the IBM T40
> > > laptop.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > You could have lots of problems.
> > You will not be able to capture to the external drive.
> > The machine is strapped for memory.
> > The P3 is old, and missing the MMX instruction set that video editing
> relies
> > on.
> >
> > All these possible problems knock down your odds.
> >
> > Machines based on the Centrino chipset are much better, because the
> Centrino
> > CPU has the MMX instructions, and the USB ports are on a different bus
> from
> > the Firewire bus. I have successfully captured to an external drive with
> > this setup.

Its also a Centrino and Im running XP

> "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <d.kellyNOSPAM@NOSPAM.ucl.ac.uk> wrote in
message news:<ci5141$luu$1@uns-a.ucl.ac.uk>...
> > Just to clarify...
> >
> > The P3 does have MMX and SSE. What it's missing is SSE2, which is what
the
> > P4 has.
> >
> > I've edited video on a Celeron 550Mhz (no SSE, just MMX) and it worked,
> > although it was a pain in the arse. And it wont run Premiere Pro
because
> > Premiere Pro does NEED SSE.
> >
> > Jack

[snip]

> I incorrectly indicated my processor as a Intel P3 in my original
> post. Its actually a Pentium M 1.5ghz. Does this make a difference?

Yes, big difference. Much better.
Your external drive should be USB.
Because of the way the Centrino chipset is designed, you will be able to
capture directly to that drive from a Firewire camera connection.
Don't use a Firewire drive; that will not allow direct capture.

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<KaqdnfXv6bYMBdvcRVn-oA@comcast.com>...
> "J" <Majicrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <d.kellyNOSPAM@NOSPAM.ucl.ac.uk> wrote in
> message news:<ci5141$luu$1@uns-a.ucl.ac.uk>...
> > > Just to clarify...
> > >
> > > The P3 does have MMX and SSE. What it's missing is SSE2, which is what
> the
> > > P4 has.
> > >
> > > I've edited video on a Celeron 550Mhz (no SSE, just MMX) and it worked,
> > > although it was a pain in the arse. And it wont run Premiere Pro
> because
> > > Premiere Pro does NEED SSE.
> > >
> > > Jack
> > >
> [snip]
> >
> > I incorrectly indicated my processor as a Intel P3 in my original
> > post. Its actually a Pentium M 1.5ghz. Does this make a difference?
>
> Yes, big difference. Much better.
> Your external drive should be USB.
> Because of the way the Centrino chipset is designed, you will be able to
> capture directly to that drive from a Firewire camera connection.
> Don't use a Firewire drive; that will not allow direct capture.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll get the USB external drive instead of the firewire. I think the
drive I was looking at has both. I assume the DVD burner can be
firewire or USB? I think most of the burners that are firewire are
also USB too.

Thanks again!