Slow logon to Active Directory, through VPN tunnel

Hi Ng

I'm trying to figure out what the reason for extremely slow logon is, using
the following setup:

I have an Active Directory, with two DC's running DNS. Using VPN i logon on
to a Watchguard firewall, with a Mobile User VPN client and get TCP/IP up
and running. Now I would like to logon to my DC's, but this process is very
slow... it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the desktop, efter I've
entered my username and password.

Any of you have an idea as to why it takes so long?
2 answers Last reply
More about slow logon active directory tunnel

    Usually, the answer to slow and AD logons is DNS settings, I think--look at
    the DNS settings for the VPN connection.

    "Franz Christensen" <franzc@aloc.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi Ng
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out what the reason for extremely slow logon is,
    > using
    > the following setup:
    >
    > I have an Active Directory, with two DC's running DNS. Using VPN i logon
    > on
    > to a Watchguard firewall, with a Mobile User VPN client and get TCP/IP up
    > and running. Now I would like to logon to my DC's, but this process is
    > very
    > slow... it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the desktop, efter I've
    > entered my username and password.
    >
    > Any of you have an idea as to why it takes so long?

    Also make sure that the DNS servers on both DC's provide service for
    your local domain... We had the case where we had a caching DNS
    server for internet access as the main DNS server for a client and it
    caused the same problem.. :(

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:38:46 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Usually, the answer to slow and AD logons is DNS settings, I think--look at
    >the DNS settings for the VPN connection.
    >
    >"Franz Christensen" <franzc@aloc.dk> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ng
    >>
    >> I'm trying to figure out what the reason for extremely slow logon is,
    >> using
    >> the following setup:
    >>
    >> I have an Active Directory, with two DC's running DNS. Using VPN i logon
    >> on
    >> to a Watchguard firewall, with a Mobile User VPN client and get TCP/IP up
    >> and running. Now I would like to logon to my DC's, but this process is
    >> very
    >> slow... it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the desktop, efter I've
    >> entered my username and password.
    >>
    >> Any of you have an idea as to why it takes so long?

VPN Tunnel Active Directory Windows XP