Slow logon to Active Directory, through VPN tunnel

May 16, 2004 6:28:23 PM

Hi Ng

I'm trying to figure out what the reason for extremely slow logon is, using
the following setup:

I have an Active Directory, with two DC's running DNS. Using VPN i logon on
to a Watchguard firewall, with a Mobile User VPN client and get TCP/IP up
and running. Now I would like to logon to my DC's, but this process is very
slow... it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the desktop, efter I've
entered my username and password.

Any of you have an idea as to why it takes so long?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:38:46 AM

Usually, the answer to slow and AD logons is DNS settings, I think--look at
the DNS settings for the VPN connection.

"Franz Christensen" <franzc@aloc.dk> wrote in message
> Hi Ng
>
> I'm trying to figure out what the reason for extremely slow logon is,
> using
> the following setup:
>
> I have an Active Directory, with two DC's running DNS. Using VPN i logon
> on
> to a Watchguard firewall, with a Mobile User VPN client and get TCP/IP up
> and running. Now I would like to logon to my DC's, but this process is
> very
> slow... it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the desktop, efter I've
> entered my username and password.
>
> Any of you have an idea as to why it takes so long?

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:33:33 AM

Also make sure that the DNS servers on both DC's provide service for
your local domain... We had the case where we had a caching DNS
server for internet access as the main DNS server for a client and it
caused the same problem.. :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

!