Connecting to a computer Remotely

I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
"computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name + Password.
I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The firewall
is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment >
Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
listed.

Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?
6 answers Last reply
More about connecting computer remotely

    I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
    work.

    Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.

    "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
    >I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
    > "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
    > Password.
    > I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
    > Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
    > address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
    > firewall
    > is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment >
    > Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
    > listed.
    >

    > Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

    Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
    > work.
    >
    > Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
    >

    > "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
    > >I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
    > > "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
    > > Password.
    > > I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
    > > Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
    > > address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
    > > firewall
    > > is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment
    >
    > > Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
    > > listed.
    > >

    > > Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

    You're welcome!

    > Bill that was it!!! Many thanks

    Evil Simple File Sharing... :(

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07:16 -0500, "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote:

    >Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
    >"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
    >>

    >> "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
    >> >I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
    >> > "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
    >> > Password.
    >> > I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
    >> > Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
    >> > address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
    >> > firewall
    >> > is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment
    >>
    >> > Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
    >> > listed.
    >> >

    >> > Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

    This is kind of a challenge for the help system. How the "h" is the user
    supposed to look up this "symptom" and get a good answer? A good help
    system ought to be able to manage this--maybe we can push them in some
    future OS version.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:18nqa0p78igjvva3b513n8evqf994cjrgv@4ax.com...
    > Evil Simple File Sharing... :(
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07:16 -0500, "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
    >>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >>> I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this
    >>> work.
    >>>
    >>> Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
    >>>

    >>> "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message

    Granted that this shouldn't be necessary at all in Longhorn... :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:36:53 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >This is kind of a challenge for the help system. How the "h" is the user
    >supposed to look up this "symptom" and get a good answer? A good help
    >system ought to be able to manage this--maybe we can push them in some
    >future OS version.
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in message news:18nqa0p78igjvva3b513n8evqf994cjrgv@4ax.com...
    >> Evil Simple File Sharing... :(
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07:16 -0500, "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bill that was it!!! Many thanks