Connecting to a computer Remotely

May 17, 2004 2:07:48 PM

I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
"computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name + Password.
I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The firewall
is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment >
Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
listed.

Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:34:39 AM

I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
work.

Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.

"Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
>I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
> "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
> Password.
> I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
> Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
> address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
> firewall
> is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment >
> Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
> listed.
>

> Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

May 19, 2004 3:07:16 PM

Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
> work.
>
> Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
>

> "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
> >I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
> > "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
> > Password.
> > I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
> > Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
> > address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
> > firewall
> > is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment
>
> > Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
> > listed.
> >

> > Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

May 20, 2004 12:40:15 AM

You're welcome!

"Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
news:o nIGctbPEHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:36:19 AM

Evil Simple File Sharing... :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07:16 -0500, "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote:

>Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this to
>> work.
>>
>> Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
>>

>> "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message
>> >I have an XP computer that I'm trying to connect to. I click start > run
>> > "computer's IP address\c$". Then I get prompted for a User name +
>> > Password.
>> > I try logging in with an account that is setup on the machine and the
>> > Administrator's account, but either work. I try using the ip
>> > address\administrator and just administrator as the user name. The
>> > firewall
>> > is turned off and in the Local security policy > Users Right assignment
>>
>> > Access this computer for the network > everyone and administrators is
>> > listed.
>> >

>> > Why can't I connect to the computer's hard drive?

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 4:36:53 PM

This is kind of a challenge for the help system. How the "h" is the user
supposed to look up this "symptom" and get a good answer? A good help
system ought to be able to manage this--maybe we can push them in some
future OS version.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:18nqa0p78igjvva3b513n8evqf994cjrgv@4ax.com...
> Evil Simple File Sharing... :(
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07:16 -0500, "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote:
>
>>Bill that was it!!! Many thanks
>>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>> I believe you need to disable "simple file sharing" on XP Pro for this
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Explorer, tools, folder options, view tab, bottom of the list.
>>>

>>> "Jeff" <jroth@nd.edu> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 12:31:15 AM

Granted that this shouldn't be necessary at all in Longhorn... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:36:53 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"

!