No boot after extending partition

nnate72

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,
I just recently installed windows 7 on a partition that previously had vista, and backed up my "users" folder on another partition. I copied all the files back to the 7 partition and used a program like partition magic to delete the backup and extend the 7 partition. my computer won't boot now. I've tried resetting the mbr, bcdedit, bootfix, and pretty much every solution on the first 20 pages of a google search about this. Help!?

nnate72

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
From another forum I found that I could boot into Partition wizard.

In PW I decided to "resize" the buggy partition to it's logical size. After doing this, and then designating the rest of the space as Unallocated, the computer booted! So I have backed up my data, and am clean installing everything.

Thanks, everyone

michaeljj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hi, Which partition software did you use, Partiton Magic? the latest partition magic 8.0 could work on Windows 7? I wonder.. :eek:
The Windows 7 is boot from the partition named "system reserved" that's the Windows 7's boot partition did you delete that? If that you could only reinstall your Windows 7.
If you want to extend your partition, you could try this partition software which is special designed for Windows 7, you could read more details aobut this from

http://www.partition-magic-windows7.com/
Hope this could help you
best regards :bounce: