Using RDC clogs up network

I have a remote user who access an XP pro machine via RDC a few times a week
and lately everytime he connects, the network traffic goes thru the roof,
and slows the network to the point where no one can get out or in and his
RDC connection degrades. When i logon to my router, the active translation
go from about 50 to over 4000 when he connects via RDC. Any idea why this
might be happening? The computer has up to date AV and I found nothing
after running a scan on the system. Thanks in advance.

Chris (IS at the domain of screenplay.com)

This is pretty strange--one of the strengths of RDP is that it can be very
light on the bandwidth requirement--it works prefectly well over dialup.

I'm not familiar with "active translation"--can you say more about the
router involved?

"ct98" <nau97@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a remote user who access an XP pro machine via RDC a few times a
>week
> and lately everytime he connects, the network traffic goes thru the roof,
> and slows the network to the point where no one can get out or in and his
> RDC connection degrades. When i logon to my router, the active
> translation
> go from about 50 to over 4000 when he connects via RDC. Any idea why this
> might be happening? The computer has up to date AV and I found nothing
> after running a scan on the system. Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris (IS at the domain of screenplay.com)

I do not know about the network side, but for the past week I have been
tremendously painfully slow on the client side. That is until today. I
uninstalled KB840374 on both machines and now I seem to be back to normal.
I am very curious if this really was the problem. I will forward your
message to our network guys to see if they have seen any peaks and if they
can be correlated to my RDC sessions.

"ct98" <nau97@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a remote user who access an XP pro machine via RDC a few times a
week
> and lately everytime he connects, the network traffic goes thru the roof,
> and slows the network to the point where no one can get out or in and his
> RDC connection degrades. When i logon to my router, the active
translation
> go from about 50 to over 4000 when he connects via RDC. Any idea why this
> might be happening? The computer has up to date AV and I found nothing
> after running a scan on the system. Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris (IS at the domain of screenplay.com)

If you can reproduce this, please call PSS and report the problem.
1-866-pcsafety should work, although you can call any of the PSS numbers and
report a problem with a security patch.

They may have a workaround, or be able to identify (or you may be able to
help them identify) some conflict with other software that has this effect.