AOL discontinuing Newsgroup access !

AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

"Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
easier to
> read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

Actually, you will be very glad that AOL is making you use what the rest of
the world uses. A real Newsgroup reader.

You can use the Newsgroup part of Outlook Express 6. It is far better that
AOL.
It is what I use for this newsgroup.
Outlook Express is free and comes in every Windows OS except Version 3.x.

There are other (better?) newsgroup readers available.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

CSM1 wrote:
> "Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
>>Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
>>"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
>
> easier to
>
>>read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
>

> Actually, you will be very glad that AOL is making you use what the rest of
> the world uses. A real Newsgroup reader.
>
> You can use the Newsgroup part of Outlook Express 6. It is far better that
> AOL.
> It is what I use for this newsgroup.
> Outlook Express is free and comes in every Windows OS except Version 3.x.
>
> There are other (better?) newsgroup readers available.

I recently started using the free e-mail and newsreader program, Thunderbird, from Mozilla (www.mozilla.org). It is much
better than Outlook Express. It includes a spam blocker that you train simply by indicating which messages are junk and
which ones it classifies as junk that aren't. After a couple of weeks of this, it is sorting out the junk efficiently. It is
also easier then OE to set up sorting rules for e-mail and newsgroup postings. The address book and NG lists are quickly
imported from OE.

I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
(Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more
efficient than Outlook and IE.

"Scott Nelson" <treasuredude62@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
>(Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more efficient
>than Outlook and IE.

Tried Firefox, but no option to "mark all messages as read when exiting the
group" and doesn't allow setting up the same news server multiple times. Those
might sound trivial, but I tried for a few weeks and just couldn't adjust to not
having those capabilities.

For those wondering about the latter... Most Newsreaders don't allow for what
seems to me to be an easy thing, that is to arrange your subscribed groups into
folders for organization. OE doesn't provide this either, but you can set up
multiple accounts pointing at the same news server and give each account a
different name with different group subscriptions which simulates this rather
well. Firefox simply rejects any attempt to set up additional accounts pointed
at the same server.

I think you mean Thunderbird. Firefox is the web browser.

I mark all messages read manually. I have asked for the option of
marking all messages as read when leaving a group. They are good at
incorporating user's ideas into future releases.

Rick Brandt wrote:
> "Scott Nelson" <treasuredude62@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
>>(Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more efficient
>>than Outlook and IE.
>

> Tried Firefox, but no option to "mark all messages as read when exiting the
> group" and doesn't allow setting up the same news server multiple times. Those
> might sound trivial, but I tried for a few weeks and just couldn't adjust to not
> having those capabilities.
>
> For those wondering about the latter... Most Newsreaders don't allow for what
> seems to me to be an easy thing, that is to arrange your subscribed groups into
> folders for organization. OE doesn't provide this either, but you can set up
> multiple accounts pointing at the same news server and give each account a
> different name with different group subscriptions which simulates this rather
> well. Firefox simply rejects any attempt to set up additional accounts pointed
> at the same server.

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Scott Nelson wrote:
> I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
> (Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more
> efficient than Outlook and IE.

I don't want messages marked as read automatically. There are times when I leave a NG with the intention to return and
finish reading some postings.

> Marvin wrote:
>
>> CSM1 wrote:
>>
>>> "Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> easier to

>>> Actually, you will be very glad that AOL is making you use what the
>>> rest of
>>> the world uses. A real Newsgroup reader.
>>>
>>> You can use the Newsgroup part of Outlook Express 6. It is far better
>>> that
>>> AOL.
>>> It is what I use for this newsgroup.
>>> Outlook Express is free and comes in every Windows OS except Version
>>> 3.x.
>>>
>>> There are other (better?) newsgroup readers available.
>>>
>> I recently started using the free e-mail and newsreader program,
>> Thunderbird, from Mozilla (www.mozilla.org). It is much better than
>> Outlook Express. It includes a spam blocker that you train simply by
>> indicating which messages are junk and which ones it classifies as
>> junk that aren't. After a couple of weeks of this, it is sorting out
>> the junk efficiently. It is also easier then OE to set up sorting
>> rules for e-mail and newsgroup postings. The address book and NG
>> lists are quickly imported from OE.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:19:48 -0500, Marvin <physchemNOSPAM@cloud9.net> found
these unused words floating about:

>Scott Nelson wrote:
>> I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
>> (Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more
>> efficient than Outlook and IE.
>
>I don't want messages marked as read automatically. There are times when I leave a NG with the intention to return and
>finish reading some postings.

Then set YOUR preferences file(s) the way YOU want ... that's what they're
for !

On 1/29/05 11:25 PM, in article 41FC6FC7.9000301@nospamhotmail.com, "Scott
Nelson" <treasuredude62@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
> (Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more
> efficient than Outlook and IE.
>
> Marvin wrote:
>> CSM1 wrote:
>>
>>> "Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> easier to

>>> Actually, you will be very glad that AOL is making you use what the
>>> rest of
>>> the world uses. A real Newsgroup reader.
>>>
>>> You can use the Newsgroup part of Outlook Express 6. It is far better
>>> that
>>> AOL.
>>> It is what I use for this newsgroup.
>>> Outlook Express is free and comes in every Windows OS except Version 3.x.
>>>
>>> There are other (better?) newsgroup readers available.
>>>
>> I recently started using the free e-mail and newsreader program,
>> Thunderbird, from Mozilla (www.mozilla.org). It is much better than
>> Outlook Express. It includes a spam blocker that you train simply by
>> indicating which messages are junk and which ones it classifies as junk
>> that aren't. After a couple of weeks of this, it is sorting out the
>> junk efficiently. It is also easier then OE to set up sorting rules for
>> e-mail and newsgroup postings. The address book and NG lists are
>> quickly imported from OE.
Check out Wired magazine, a good article about firefox
dale

There's a button on the menu bar that you can click Mark All Read (on the
mac version)
dale
On 1/30/05 10:10 AM, in article 41FD06ED.3050207@nospamhotmail.com, "Scott

On 29 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, sormes@aol.com (Sam Ormes) wrote:

>AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
>Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
>"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
>read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

A very good newreader is Agent or FreeAgent.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:04:09 -0600, JimL <me@privacy.net> found these unused
words floating about:

>On 29 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, sormes@aol.com (Sam Ormes) wrote:
>
>>AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
>>Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
>>"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
>>read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
>
> A very good newreader is Agent or FreeAgent.

What Sammy's really -bttchin'- about is that his "isp" is removing a PAID
service and still going to charge their ridiculous prices!
That's why T-W's "isp" is called America's Only Losers.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:38:19 -0800, J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:04:09 -0600, JimL <me@privacy.net> found these unused
>words floating about:
>
>>On 29 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, sormes@aol.com (Sam Ormes) wrote:
>>
>>>AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
>>>Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
>>>"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
>>>read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
>>
>> A very good newreader is Agent or FreeAgent.
>>
>What Sammy's really -bttchin'- about is that his "isp" is removing a PAID
>service and still going to charge their ridiculous prices!
>That's why T-W's "isp" is called America's Only Losers.

I've been steering people AWAY from AOL for 10 years.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:28:22 -0600, "Rick Brandt"
<rvtjbrandt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Scott Nelson" <treasuredude62@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I agree. I started using both Thunderbird (Email/Usenet) and Firefox
>>(Browser)and haven't looked back. Both are easy to use and much more efficient
>>than Outlook and IE.
>
>Tried Firefox, but no option to "mark all messages as read when exiting the
>group" and doesn't allow setting up the same news server multiple times. Those
>might sound trivial, but I tried for a few weeks and just couldn't adjust to not
>having those capabilities.
>
>For those wondering about the latter... Most Newsreaders don't allow for what
>seems to me to be an easy thing, that is to arrange your subscribed groups into
>folders for organization. OE doesn't provide this either, but you can set up
>multiple accounts pointing at the same news server and give each account a
>different name with different group subscriptions which simulates this rather
>well. Firefox simply rejects any attempt to set up additional accounts pointed
>at the same server.

get Agent or Free Agent

rubik wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:28:22 -0600, "Rick Brandt"
> <rvtjbrandt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Tried Firefox, but no option to "mark all messages as read when
>> exiting the group" and doesn't allow setting up the same news server
>> multiple times. Those might sound trivial, but I tried for a few
>> weeks and just couldn't adjust to not having those capabilities.
>>
>> For those wondering about the latter... Most Newsreaders don't allow
>> for what seems to me to be an easy thing, that is to arrange your
>> subscribed groups into folders for organization. OE doesn't provide
>> this either, but you can set up multiple accounts pointing at the
>> same news server and give each account a different name with
>> different group subscriptions which simulates this rather well.
>> Firefox simply rejects any attempt to set up additional accounts
>> pointed at the same server.
>>

> get Agent or Free Agent

I installed Agent and found no such option. Also, why does it make you
double-click or press <Enter> to see a message? (very irritating)