What is the fastest CPU processor

I have been looking into a dual motherboard for some fast processor
power. Not so much for games but for the shear number crunching for
rendering.

The dual MB are only Zenon and they are just about the same speed
performance as a Pentium 4 EXTREME 3.2

Am I too far in the future? Why hasn't dual processors made its way
to the market since XP can support such a feature?

<Power Hungry> wrote in message
> I have been looking into a dual motherboard for some fast processor
> power. Not so much for games but for the shear number crunching for
> rendering.
>
> The dual MB are only Zenon and they are just about the same speed
> performance as a Pentium 4 EXTREME 3.2
>
> Am I too far in the future? Why hasn't dual processors made its way
> to the market since XP can support such a feature?

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the AMD Opteron.
At this point in time, it is currently the most powerful multiprocessing CPU
that can be used to run standard Windows applications.
Opterons have an edge over Intel CPUs for rendering work.
Also, the Opteron is a 64 bit CPU. When 64 bit software becomes available,
the Opteron will have an additional advantage.

However, you should be aware that these systems are extremely expensive for
what they do. You should expect to pay 6X or 8X to get 2X performance over a
mainstream single processor.

Whatever you buy now will be obsolete in a year. Unless you are making a
lot of money rendering, it does not make sense to buy a multiprocessing
platform.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:49:23 -0400, "Robert Morein"
<nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

><Power Hungry> wrote in message
>> I have been looking into a dual motherboard for some fast processor
>> power. Not so much for games but for the shear number crunching for
>> rendering.
>>
>> The dual MB are only Zenon and they are just about the same speed
>> performance as a Pentium 4 EXTREME 3.2
>>
>> Am I too far in the future? Why hasn't dual processors made its way
>> to the market since XP can support such a feature?
>
>I'm surprised you haven't heard of the AMD Opteron.
>At this point in time, it is currently the most powerful multiprocessing CPU
>that can be used to run standard Windows applications.
>Opterons have an edge over Intel CPUs for rendering work.
>Also, the Opteron is a 64 bit CPU. When 64 bit software becomes available,
>the Opteron will have an additional advantage.
>
>However, you should be aware that these systems are extremely expensive for
>what they do. You should expect to pay 6X or 8X to get 2X performance over a
>mainstream single processor.
>
> Whatever you buy now will be obsolete in a year. Unless you are making a
>lot of money rendering, it does not make sense to buy a multiprocessing
>platform.

Geez, a lot of money is still a heck of a lot less than computer
equipment used to cost. I can remember paying over 2500 dollars for a
286/12 with an EGA monitor and 1 meg memory. Even then it was on sale
and a bargain. Next machine was a 486/33 with a 14 inch super vga and
16 megs of memory which only costs about 4500 dollars. Since then
prices have even gone down even with the inflation of money. Add
about 20 percent to the prior purchases and you will really flinch.

Rio

> I have been looking into a dual motherboard for some fast processor
> power. Not so much for games but for the shear number crunching for
> rendering.
>
> The dual MB are only Zenon and they are just about the same speed
> performance as a Pentium 4 EXTREME 3.2
>
> Am I too far in the future? Why hasn't dual processors made its way
> to the market since XP can support such a feature?

Give a look at tom's hardware webiste (can't remember the url) they did some
time a go a dual motherboard comparison test between 3-4 makes, there are
performance tests and price listings.

hope it helps.

--
rIO.sK