VPN one more time

I have a computer at work using Windows XP behind a Linksys BEFSR81v3 Router which I set up a VPN Host connection.
I forwarded the 1723 in the prot forward ofthe router to the computer with the vpn host and when I try to connect to it from My home network using US robotic router, it seems to go to the computer to connect and starts verifying name an password then it comes up with an error 721... Any Ideas on this????
15 answers Last reply
More about time

    Check if the GRE protocol is blocked at the router. Is the VPN server
    reachable from the client?

    --
    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    "Glen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a computer at work using Windows XP behind a Linksys BEFSR81v3
    Router which I set up a VPN Host connection.
    > I forwarded the 1723 in the prot forward ofthe router to the computer with
    the vpn host and when I try to connect to it from My home network using US
    robotic router, it seems to go to the computer to connect and starts
    verifying name an password then it comes up with an error 721... Any Ideas
    on this????

    Protocol for Passthru on all IPsec PPTP etc are enabled the connect goes through to the verifying passwords then after awhile I get the error messege 721 Faile to respond. I forward port 1723 and 500 to the Lan IP address where the VPN Host is.

    This is what I get in the router log.

    192.168.1.1] : System is ready
    System is warm start
    00xx@sys Firmware Version : 2.45.5, Sep 15 2003
    Internet(DHCP) IP is 24.173.43.221
    TCP from 24.167.77.103:1990 to 192.168.1.100:1723
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    greIn_ip_match !Found
    Web login successfully from 24.167.77.103

    This one again...

    Do a search for the greln_ip_match on the Linksys Broadband Reports
    forums (http://www.dslreports.com). This was a known issue.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:01:05 -0700, "Glen"

    >This is what I get in the router log.
    >
    >192.168.1.1] : System is ready
    >System is warm start
    >00xx@sys Firmware Version : 2.45.5, Sep 15 2003
    >Internet(DHCP) IP is 24.173.43.221
    >TCP from 24.167.77.103:1990 to 192.168.1.100:1723
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >greIn_ip_match !Found
    >Web login successfully from 24.167.77.103

    Well lets see, went there looked there but NOTHING hmmm..... Anyone else?

    Can't see it there, nor via google.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:dtoqa0td8j8ai4fp1vnp44provv0t3rgjr@4ax.com...
    > This one again...
    >
    > Do a search for the greln_ip_match on the Linksys Broadband Reports
    > forums (http://www.dslreports.com). This was a known issue.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:01:05 -0700, "Glen"
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This is what I get in the router log.
    >>
    >>192.168.1.1] : System is ready
    >>System is warm start
    >>00xx@sys Firmware Version : 2.45.5, Sep 15 2003
    >>Internet(DHCP) IP is 24.173.43.221
    >>TCP from 24.167.77.103:1990 to 192.168.1.100:1723
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>Web login successfully from 24.167.77.103

    Go further past 90 days... Actually I posted a response linking to a
    specific forum back in March.. I'll check back there...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:59:33 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Can't see it there, nor via google.
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in message news:dtoqa0td8j8ai4fp1vnp44provv0t3rgjr@4ax.com...
    >> This one again...
    >>
    >> Do a search for the greln_ip_match on the Linksys Broadband Reports
    >> forums (http://www.dslreports.com). This was a known issue.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>

    >> On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:01:05 -0700, "Glen"
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is what I get in the router log.
    >>>
    >>>192.168.1.1] : System is ready
    >>>System is warm start
    >>>00xx@sys Firmware Version : 2.45.5, Sep 15 2003
    >>>Internet(DHCP) IP is 24.173.43.221
    >>>TCP from 24.167.77.103:1990 to 192.168.1.100:1723
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>greIn_ip_match !Found
    >>>Web login successfully from 24.167.77.103

    Here is one link:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9191501~mode=flat

    Also an archive from the newsgroup:
    http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread/t-454182.html

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:59:33 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >greIn_ip_match
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Well in the DSL forums page it only asks a question there is no answer to the problem in the expert zone I tried switching the PTPP setting from automatic and the same thing is happening.... Anyone have an answer to this ? I even put it in the DMZ to have total access to the computer with and without the ports forwarded and still SAME THING... Is there something somewhere in Win XP that I am missing I checked and rechecked over and over and only concluded that it has to be the software side of the Host connection somewhere......... Please help me find it..
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    The key point was that it was due to the firmware... Downgrade your
    firmware and it will work... :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:11:03 -0700, "Glen"

    >Well in the DSL forums page it only asks a question there is no answer to the problem in the expert zone I tried switching the PTPP setting from automatic and the same thing is happening.... Anyone have an answer to this ? I even put it in the DMZ to have total access to the computer with and without the ports forwarded and still SAME THING... Is there something somewhere in Win XP that I am missing I checked and rechecked over and over and only concluded that it has to be the software side of the Host connection somewhere......... Please help me find it..
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    It won't hurt the Router to flash it with a previous firmware???
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Not at all--it may even be good for it!

    Seriously--as long as the firmware is for the particular device, replacing
    one version with another should be much the same--doesn't matter whether the
    new one is "greater" than the old one or not.

    I have seen bugs in firmware distributions, however--I believe there's a
    Linksys wireless device I've worked with that did best if you reset
    everything to defaults before flashing.

    > It won't hurt the Router to flash it with a previous firmware???
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Linksys don't have the current firmware for this router (BEFSR81 version3) The have another Firmware for another type of BEFSR81 router. Mine uses the 2.45.2 firmware and the latest that they have for the other BEFSR81 is 2.44.2 ( or .1) but if I use the 2.44.? instead of the 2.45.2 that on there now it should mess it up??? Can this be done remotely like a remote upgrade?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    The capabilities and the menus available sometimes change with firmware
    versions. You'd be giving up whatever changed in the newer firmware
    version--but you might also be regaining stability.

    However, I'm not sure what to advise you. Linksys doesn't show any firmware
    for this device at their web site. I've looked around a little bit, and not
    found any links to get you.

    You cannot use firmware for the other V.versions of the router--just think
    of them as completely different devices--the firmware is not going to be
    compatible.

    You might try Linksys support, via email, with clear details about the exact
    error you are getting, and whether or not it goes away if you take the
    router out of the data path.

    You might also try resetting the router to the defaults, and then setting
    just the minimum options to do what you want to do. In particular, I've
    seen instances where errors that were present with a host machine in the DMZ
    of the router went away if that feature was turned off, and only the
    required ports were forwarded to that host machine.

    Looking back over the thread, Linksys Support seems appropriate to me--but I
    don't have high hopes, I'm afraid.

    Firmware upgrades can be done remotely if you enable that, and are really
    willing to go on a limb, but it is much safer to do them locally--these are
    like flashing the bios of a PC. There are certain times in the process
    where interruption can be fatal--it is better to be safe.

    > Linksys don't have the current firmware for this router (BEFSR81 version3)
    > The have another Firmware for another type of BEFSR81 router. Mine uses
    > the 2.45.2 firmware and the latest that they have for the other BEFSR81 is
    > 2.44.2 ( or .1) but if I use the 2.44.? instead of the 2.45.2 that on
    > there now it should mess it up??? Can this be done remotely like a
    > remote upgrade?
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Yep.. Definately don't apply firmware for other versions on the V3...

    On Linksys devices, I always look at firmware to be the cause of most
    of the problems (as you can tell, I am not a big fan of Linksys due to
    this type of issue). Linksys tech support may have newer firmware
    that hasn't been published...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:47:56 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >The capabilities and the menus available sometimes change with firmware
    >versions. You'd be giving up whatever changed in the newer firmware
    >version--but you might also be regaining stability.
    >
    >However, I'm not sure what to advise you. Linksys doesn't show any firmware
    >for this device at their web site. I've looked around a little bit, and not
    >found any links to get you.
    >
    >You cannot use firmware for the other V.versions of the router--just think
    >of them as completely different devices--the firmware is not going to be
    >compatible.
    >
    >You might try Linksys support, via email, with clear details about the exact
    >error you are getting, and whether or not it goes away if you take the
    >router out of the data path.
    >
    >You might also try resetting the router to the defaults, and then setting
    >just the minimum options to do what you want to do. In particular, I've
    >seen instances where errors that were present with a host machine in the DMZ
    >of the router went away if that feature was turned off, and only the
    >required ports were forwarded to that host machine.
    >
    >Looking back over the thread, Linksys Support seems appropriate to me--but I
    >don't have high hopes, I'm afraid.
    >
    >Firmware upgrades can be done remotely if you enable that, and are really
    >willing to go on a limb, but it is much safer to do them locally--these are
    >like flashing the bios of a PC. There are certain times in the process
    >where interruption can be fatal--it is better to be safe.
    >

    >"Glen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Linksys don't have the current firmware for this router (BEFSR81 version3)
    >> The have another Firmware for another type of BEFSR81 router. Mine uses
    >> the 2.45.2 firmware and the latest that they have for the other BEFSR81 is
    >> 2.44.2 ( or .1) but if I use the 2.44.? instead of the 2.45.2 that on
    >> there now it should mess it up??? Can this be done remotely like a
    >> remote upgrade?

Routers Connection Computers vpn Windows XP