Nero non-compliant VCD, TMPGEnc won't open but AVIcodec sa..

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I've again really gone and googled for this and am coming to the group
as a last resort <sigh>. I can't get a handle on this problem. It's
happened before, so would like to learn how to deal with this.

I have an mpg file that both G-SPOT and AVIcodec say are okay, i.e.,
that I seem to have the codecs for. I have pretty much everything
installed from the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack, so it's always strange when
I get this error.

Nero gives me the non-compliant message when I drag'n'drop this mpg
into it:
"The video file ... is not Video CD compliant.
The video will be re-encoded to Video CD format before burning."

Since I'm often dealing with gifts to family of music videos, TV eps
and trailers so I'm usually making at least two copies of these VCDs,
I like to fix everything with TMPGEnc instead of Nero. If I don't do
that Nero has to go through that re-encoding delay, every single time
I burn with Nero. With some of the higher quality mpgs, that can be
several hours! TMPGEnc re-encodes once, when it can, and the file is
always ready to go after that.

But what do we do when we have a file that says MPEG-1 VCD in AVIcodec
and G-SPOT says DirectShow should play this just fine (and the vid
_does_ play), but Nero wants to re-encode it?

Thanks. Grateful still-newbie here <g>.

"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> I've again really gone and googled for this and am coming to the group
> as a last resort <sigh>. I can't get a handle on this problem. It's
> happened before, so would like to learn how to deal with this.
>
> I have an mpg file that both G-SPOT and AVIcodec say are okay, i.e.,
> that I seem to have the codecs for. I have pretty much everything
> installed from the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack, so it's always strange when
> I get this error.
>
> Nero gives me the non-compliant message when I drag'n'drop this mpg
> into it:
> "The video file ... is not Video CD compliant.
> The video will be re-encoded to Video CD format before burning."
>
> Since I'm often dealing with gifts to family of music videos, TV eps
> and trailers so I'm usually making at least two copies of these VCDs,
> I like to fix everything with TMPGEnc instead of Nero. If I don't do
> that Nero has to go through that re-encoding delay, every single time
> I burn with Nero. With some of the higher quality mpgs, that can be
> several hours! TMPGEnc re-encodes once, when it can, and the file is
> always ready to go after that.
>
> But what do we do when we have a file that says MPEG-1 VCD in AVIcodec
> and G-SPOT says DirectShow should play this just fine (and the vid
> _does_ play), but Nero wants to re-encode it?
>
> Thanks. Grateful still-newbie here <g>.

You say the video is MPEG-1 VCD (480x480?) (Bitrate?)
what is the audio format & sample rate?

Luck;
Ken

RSWilson wrote:

> Since I'm often dealing with gifts to family of music videos, TV eps
> and trailers so I'm usually making at least two copies of these VCDs,
> I like to fix everything with TMPGEnc instead of Nero. If I don't do
> that Nero has to go through that re-encoding delay, every single time
> I burn with Nero. With some of the higher quality mpgs, that can be
> several hours! TMPGEnc re-encodes once, when it can, and the file is
> always ready to go after that.
>
> But what do we do when we have a file that says MPEG-1 VCD in AVIcodec
> and G-SPOT says DirectShow should play this just fine (and the vid
> _does_ play), but Nero wants to re-encode it?
>
> Thanks. Grateful still-newbie here <g>.

Please check the CD-R FAQ for details on this; there is some information
in the primer at my WWW site, but I recommend the more detailed data in
the FAQ.

In order to be written as a VCD, the source file must have specific
parameters and be in MPEG1 format. Prima facie, the AVI is not MPEG1, so
must be rendered. Many MPEGs which are perfectly legitimate and which
play just fine as MPEGs do not comply with the VCD requirements and must
be rendered for compliance to make such a disc.

Your choice is simple: Render your material to the right format
initially or put up with rendering a second time.

Mike
--
mrichter@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=462e7bfb9c78430acf44164609f324f5@news.bubbanews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

See:

http://www.videohelp.com/nero.htm
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3242
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t221707.html
http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/nero.html

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:32:06 GMT, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>I have an mpg file that both G-SPOT and AVIcodec say are okay, i.e.,
>that I seem to have the codecs for. I have pretty much everything
>installed from the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack, so it's always strange when
>I get this error.
>
>Nero gives me the non-compliant message when I drag'n'drop this mpg
>into it:
>"The video file ... is not Video CD compliant.
>The video will be re-encoded to Video CD format before burning."

When Nero tells you the mpeg is not VCD compliant, it doesn't mean
anything about the codecs. The codecs are what you use to play the
..mpg files. Nero doesn't care wether you have the codecs or not -you
may just as well don't have them, and Nero would still make a VCD from
your mpeg files.

What Nero is telling you is that the .mpg files you provide disagree
with the VCD standard:

Audio: 44100 Hz MPEG-1 Layer2 at several bitrates.
Video: CBR 1150 kbps, 352x240 (NTSC / 288 for PAL), mpeg-1 encoded, at
29,97 or 23,976 fps (NTSC / 25 for PAL).

You can tell Nero not to reencode, and accept the mpegs as given, and
then Nero shall creat a non-standard VCD without reencoding. This VCD
may work -or not, depending on player, and on how much and in which
way your mpegs differed from the standard. Orherwise, you let Nero
reencode to make the mpegs fully compliant with the VCD
standard.

Mpegs can be any resolution, any bitrate, any fps... But VCD imposes
the above restrictions. Any desktop player that supports VCD is
guaranteed to play 1150 kbps video, etc. If your VCD is, say 1300
kbps, that player can well play it also -but you shall not know until
you try.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:38:22 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> I've again really gone and googled for this and am coming to the group
>> as a last resort <sigh>. I can't get a handle on this problem. It's
>> happened before, so would like to learn how to deal with this.
>>
>> I have an mpg file that both G-SPOT and AVIcodec say are okay, i.e.,
>> that I seem to have the codecs for. I have pretty much everything
>> installed from the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack, so it's always strange when
>> I get this error.
>>
>> Nero gives me the non-compliant message when I drag'n'drop this mpg
>> into it:
>> "The video file ... is not Video CD compliant.
>> The video will be re-encoded to Video CD format before burning."
>>
>> Since I'm often dealing with gifts to family of music videos, TV eps
>> and trailers so I'm usually making at least two copies of these VCDs,
>> I like to fix everything with TMPGEnc instead of Nero. If I don't do
>> that Nero has to go through that re-encoding delay, every single time
>> I burn with Nero. With some of the higher quality mpgs, that can be
>> several hours! TMPGEnc re-encodes once, when it can, and the file is
>> always ready to go after that.
>>
>> But what do we do when we have a file that says MPEG-1 VCD in AVIcodec
>> and G-SPOT says DirectShow should play this just fine (and the vid
>> _does_ play), but Nero wants to re-encode it?
>>
>> Thanks. Grateful still-newbie here <g>.
>>

> You say the video is MPEG-1 VCD (480x480?) (Bitrate?)
>what is the audio format & sample rate?
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Thanks, Ken. I don't know this information but will learn how to get
it. Thanks for pointing it out that I need this.

p.s., I ended up re-rendering using EO-Video as it did accept the
file. Go figure. I'm still new at this, but one day I'll know the
ins and outs better.

Thanks!

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:08:26 -0700, Mike Richter <mrichter@cpl.net>
wrote:

>RSWilson wrote:
>
>> Since I'm often dealing with gifts to family of music videos, TV eps
>> and trailers so I'm usually making at least two copies of these VCDs,
>> I like to fix everything with TMPGEnc instead of Nero. If I don't do
>> that Nero has to go through that re-encoding delay, every single time
>> I burn with Nero. With some of the higher quality mpgs, that can be
>> several hours! TMPGEnc re-encodes once, when it can, and the file is
>> always ready to go after that.
>>
>> But what do we do when we have a file that says MPEG-1 VCD in AVIcodec
>> and G-SPOT says DirectShow should play this just fine (and the vid
>> _does_ play), but Nero wants to re-encode it?
>>
>> Thanks. Grateful still-newbie here <g>.
>
>Please check the CD-R FAQ for details on this; there is some information
>in the primer at my WWW site, but I recommend the more detailed data in
>the FAQ.

Will do. Though my head is spinning. I've read and read and read so
much that it's hard to take it all in. <g> I'll understand better as
I go along, of course. It's just to get a bit of guidance at the
beginning to I go in the right direction <g>.

p.s., EO-Video did accept the file so was able to convert it to a
VCD-compliant vid. I now know that when TMPGEnc won't accept it to
try EO.

>In order to be written as a VCD, the source file must have specific
>parameters and be in MPEG1 format. Prima facie, the AVI is not MPEG1, so
>must be rendered. Many MPEGs which are perfectly legitimate and which
>play just fine as MPEGs do not comply with the VCD requirements and must
>be rendered for compliance to make such a disc.
>
>Your choice is simple: Render your material to the right format
>initially or put up with rendering a second time.

No, never will I put up with rendering each time with Nero. That is
grossly inefficient. But luckily for me, as I said, EO did accept the
file and I created a VCD-ready file once the first time around.

Thanks!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:47:21 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

>. --------------------------------------
> Mike Richter, were you born with
> "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
> --------------------------------------
> (Mike Richter, any Material Connection w/ Roxio?)
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=462e7bfb9c78430acf44164609f324f5@news.bubbanews.com
>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com
>
>( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
>( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
>

>See:
>
>http://www.videohelp.com/nero.htm
>http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3242
>http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t221707.html