No menus with Adobe Premiere 5.1?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I've been horsing around with Adobe Premeiere 5.1 and as far as I can tell,
there are no options create menus. Apparently it doesn't create menus. So,
does Premiere strictly create AVI files and you need to use other software
to incorporate the files into a DVD?

Doc wrote:
> I've been horsing around with Adobe Premeiere 5.1 and as far as I can
> tell, there are no options create menus. Apparently it doesn't create
> menus. So, does Premiere strictly create AVI files and you need to
> use other software to incorporate the files into a DVD?

Don't know Premiere as I use Vegas but Vegas, like Premiere, is an editing
program and not a DVD authoring program. You need to look at another option
for your DVD authoring needs and there are several out there depending on
your price limits.

Mike

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

> I've been horsing around with Adobe Premeiere 5.1 and as far as I can tell,
> there are no options create menus. Apparently it doesn't create menus. So,
> does Premiere strictly create AVI files and you need to use other software
> to incorporate the files into a DVD?

I only used 5.1 for a couple months, but I dont think its capable of DVD
authoring. Back in 1998 when it debuted, DVD burners didnt even exist outside
of $10K+ units made by Pioneer.

In 2004, DVD authoring is relatively easy and there are many software apps that
can do it......I use Adobe Encore 1.5 but there are cheaper programs by Ulead
and Sonic that do a good job. Check out some reviews to decide which one is
best for your needs.

5.1 is ancient by computer standards. I don't even know if DVDs existed when
this program was created. I know it didn't have native support for mini-DV. In
my opinion, this was the worst, most buggy version of Premiere. So to answer
your question, it doesn't have support for DVD because DVD didn't even exist.

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been horsing around with Adobe Premeiere 5.1 and as far as I can tell,
> there are no options create menus. Apparently it doesn't create menus. So,
> does Premiere strictly create AVI files and you need to use other software
> to incorporate the files into a DVD?

I'm pretty sure I bought Premiere 5.0 in 1998. 5.1 was an update that was
available within a few months. By computer standards, this is absolutely
ancient. Premiere 5.0 and 5.1 was very picky about hardware capture support,
which is the main reason I never used it. I didn't start using Premiere again
until version 6.5. I did use Premiere 4.2 extensively.

"Travis Pupkin" <t-pupkin--@attbi.com> wrote in message
> 5.1 is ancient by computer standards. I don't even know if DVDs existed when
> this program was created. I know it didn't have native support for mini-DV. In
> my opinion, this was the worst, most buggy version of Premiere. So to answer
> your question, it doesn't have support for DVD because DVD didn't even exist.
>
> "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been horsing around with Adobe Premeiere 5.1 and as far as I can tell,
>> there are no options create menus. Apparently it doesn't create menus. So,
>> does Premiere strictly create AVI files and you need to use other software
>> to incorporate the files into a DVD?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Travis Pupkin" <t-pupkin--@attbi.com> wrote in message
> 5.1 is ancient by computer standards. I don't even know if DVDs existed
when
> this program was created.

This one says copyright 1998. Don't recall when DVD came out.

> I know it didn't have native support for mini-DV. In
> my opinion, this was the worst, most buggy version of Premiere.

So far no problems but I've only started experimenting with it. My only
complaint is that it doesn't have real time preview, you have to render
previews.