Forcing a logoff

Before I left for work this morning, I logged off my system but left the
machine on so I could connect remotely from work. However, I didn't stick
around to watch, but some processes were locked, preventing logout from
completing. When I logged in remotely, the process kill windows started
popping up. After killing the processes, XP finished the logout of that
local session but did not logout my remote session, leaving me staring at my
wallpaper (it came back on after the logout). I disconnected and
reconnected, but now I'm staring at a dark blue background with no explorer
running, and no way to bring up task manager to manually bring the system
back up (can't send CTRL-ALT-DEL, like VNC allows). Is there some way I can
force RDP to log out my remote session to hopefully reset things rather than
just disconnect? Also, I've tried tsshutdn, but I can't specify a different
user/pword combo.
3 answers Last reply
More about forcing logoff

    Well, once I got to my machine locally, logging in just results in a black
    screen. After a hard reset, XP says that my video driver is to blame, but I
    don't really think so, as the reset caused the "crash", but the state of the
    machine was caused by RDP logging in to a user session that was in the
    process of logging out.

    "Keith Patrick" <richard_keith_patrick@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Before I left for work this morning, I logged off my system but left the
    > machine on so I could connect remotely from work. However, I didn't stick
    > around to watch, but some processes were locked, preventing logout from
    > completing. When I logged in remotely, the process kill windows started
    > popping up. After killing the processes, XP finished the logout of that
    > local session but did not logout my remote session, leaving me staring at
    my
    > wallpaper (it came back on after the logout). I disconnected and
    > reconnected, but now I'm staring at a dark blue background with no
    explorer
    > running, and no way to bring up task manager to manually bring the system
    > back up (can't send CTRL-ALT-DEL, like VNC allows). Is there some way I
    can
    > force RDP to log out my remote session to hopefully reset things rather
    than
    > just disconnect? Also, I've tried tsshutdn, but I can't specify a
    different
    > user/pword combo.

    I'm inclined to agree with XP--is there another driver you can try?

    "Keith Patrick" <richard_keith_patrick@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Well, once I got to my machine locally, logging in just results in a black
    > screen. After a hard reset, XP says that my video driver is to blame, but
    > don't really think so, as the reset caused the "crash", but the state of
    > the
    > machine was caused by RDP logging in to a user session that was in the
    > process of logging out.
    >
    > "Keith Patrick" <richard_keith_patrick@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Before I left for work this morning, I logged off my system but left the
    >> machine on so I could connect remotely from work. However, I didn't
    >> stick
    >> around to watch, but some processes were locked, preventing logout from
    >> completing. When I logged in remotely, the process kill windows started
    >> popping up. After killing the processes, XP finished the logout of that
    >> local session but did not logout my remote session, leaving me staring at
    > my
    >> wallpaper (it came back on after the logout). I disconnected and
    >> reconnected, but now I'm staring at a dark blue background with no
    > explorer
    >> running, and no way to bring up task manager to manually bring the system
    >> back up (can't send CTRL-ALT-DEL, like VNC allows). Is there some way I
    > can
    >> force RDP to log out my remote session to hopefully reset things rather
    > than
    >> just disconnect? Also, I've tried tsshutdn, but I can't specify a
    > different
    >> user/pword combo.

    TSSHUTDN via a network connection--perhaps a VPN--is what I'd try in this
    situation. You should be able to supply alternate credentials via RUNAS.

    "Keith Patrick" <richard_keith_patrick@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Before I left for work this morning, I logged off my system but left the
    > machine on so I could connect remotely from work. However, I didn't stick
    > around to watch, but some processes were locked, preventing logout from
    > completing. When I logged in remotely, the process kill windows started
    > popping up. After killing the processes, XP finished the logout of that
    > local session but did not logout my remote session, leaving me staring at
    > my
    > wallpaper (it came back on after the logout). I disconnected and
    > reconnected, but now I'm staring at a dark blue background with no
    > explorer
    > running, and no way to bring up task manager to manually bring the system
    > back up (can't send CTRL-ALT-DEL, like VNC allows). Is there some way I
    > can
    > force RDP to log out my remote session to hopefully reset things rather
    > than
    > just disconnect? Also, I've tried tsshutdn, but I can't specify a
    > different
    > user/pword combo.

Connection Microsoft Windows XP