Remote Desktop and which ports?

Which are the correct ports to use on the host machine, which is using XP Pro, Zone Alarm Pro and a Linksys Cable Modem/Router (model WRT54G). I have determined the IP address that the outside world sees and that is the address I am attempting to connect to with remote desktop. I don't know which are the correct ports to forward the router to in order to reach the specific machine that is the host on my LAN. I do know that machine's IP Address on the lan behind the router. I have logged in via my LAN an understand how the remote desktop works, but haven't been able to connect once I am remote and logging in from different ISP to my host. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been attempting to forward the requests that come to the router from my remote machine to a specific port (using the applications & gaming PORT RANGE FORWARD) feature on the console of the router. What is the correct port to use for remote desktop?
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop ports

    port 3389

    Port 3389 is RDP. One thing I do, though, is hide it with a virtual port in
    the higher range, as RDP is a well-known port, so you are potentially more
    vulnerable to hack attempts.

    "Robert M. Burns" <xp@robertburns.net> wrote in message
    > Which are the correct ports to use on the host machine, which is using XP
    Pro, Zone Alarm Pro and a Linksys Cable Modem/Router (model WRT54G). I have
    determined the IP address that the outside world sees and that is the
    address I am attempting to connect to with remote desktop. I don't know
    which are the correct ports to forward the router to in order to reach the
    specific machine that is the host on my LAN. I do know that machine's IP
    Address on the lan behind the router. I have logged in via my LAN an
    understand how the remote desktop works, but haven't been able to connect
    once I am remote and logging in from different ISP to my host. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated. I have been attempting to forward the
    requests that come to the router from my remote machine to a specific port
    (using the applications & gaming PORT RANGE FORWARD) feature on the console
    of the router. What is the correct port to use for remote desktop?

    Thank you. I have tried that actually and still not working?? Do I have to be using VPN for this? I was reading an article regarding RD and it seemed to indicate that I do. I am connecting to the net via a wireless net connection (ATT is ISP) and I direct my RD program to the IP address of my host (comcast IP address on the Internet side of the router) which has ports directed to that machine which is 192.168.1.105 on my LAN. I have turned off all firewalls for testing (one is the hardware one on the Linksys) and the other ones are on each machine -- Zone Alarm Pro.

    I'm presuming that once I connect to the net via my wireless connection and then put in the IP address of my LAN (which is forwarding requests to port 3389 to the machine acting as my host) that it should connect directly therefore not requiring VPN -- is this right?

    Again, appreciate the help and input.

    Robert

    3389, TCP is all that is needed.

    Forward 3389, TCP in the router, to the private IP address of the desired XP
    Pro host with Remote Desktop enabled.

    Connect to the public IP address of the router from a location where 3389,
    TCP is open, outbound, and you should connect.

    Don't try to test this from inside the router, unless you do it via a dialup
    connection--many routers won't handle that correctly.

    "Robert M. Burns" <xp@robertburns.net> wrote in message
    > Which are the correct ports to use on the host machine, which is using XP
    > Pro, Zone Alarm Pro and a Linksys Cable Modem/Router (model WRT54G). I
    > have determined the IP address that the outside world sees and that is the
    > address I am attempting to connect to with remote desktop. I don't know
    > which are the correct ports to forward the router to in order to reach the
    > specific machine that is the host on my LAN. I do know that machine's IP
    > Address on the lan behind the router. I have logged in via my LAN an
    > understand how the remote desktop works, but haven't been able to connect
    > once I am remote and logging in from different ISP to my host. Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated. I have been attempting to forward the
    > requests that come to the router from my remote machine to a specific port
    > (using the applications & gaming PORT RANGE FORWARD) feature on the
    > console of the router. What is the correct port to use for remote
    > desktop?

Remote Desktop Routers Windows XP