Panasonic site claims GS200 has OPTICAL image stabiliazati..

The panasonic site claims that the 3CCD PV-GS200 has optical image
stabilization.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=68764&catGroupId=17171&displayTab=S&surfModel=PV-GS200&surfCategory=3CCD%20Digital%20Camcorders

Is this really true?

All the review sites, and circuit city, all claim that it's electronic
(digital) only.

Does anyone know for sure? The founder of dvspot.com thinks that it's a
typo on the panasonic site.

If so, does the GS400 have optical IS? The 3 chip panasonics seem to get
bad reviews for their image stability (not the single chippers though).

Thanks!

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

[author apologizes for both crossposting and multi-posting via reply. sue
me later :) ]

The panasonic site claims that the 3CCD PV-GS200 has optical image
stabilization.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=68764&catGroupId=17171&displayTab=S&surfModel=PV-GS200&surfCategory=3CCD%20Digital%20Camcorders

Is this really true?

All the review sites, and circuit city, all claim that it's electronic
(digital) only.

Does anyone know for sure? The founder of dvspot.com thinks that
it's a typo on the panasonic site.

If so, does the GS400 have optical IS? The 3 chip panasonics seem to
get bad reviews for their image stability (not the single chippers
though).

Thanks!

--
"His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was
Robert Paulson..."

FWIW I last 2 MiniDV Cams have been Panasonic and I have been very happy
with them - apart from some firewire problems.

I dont have a 400 but do have a MX300 (bought here in the UK) and this is a
3CD model which does have optical images stabilisation

Regards,

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

Well, I'm equally confused about this as well.

I'm a software engineer, and I know quite a bit about computer imaging, and
techniques involved. I'm assuming that the digital stabilization technique
that they're using is a variant on a "look for the movement delta"
algorithm.

But, FWIW, all the reviewers seem to think that the single chip GS15 is
perfectly fine.

Hmmmmm....

I just bought a GS15 from circuitcity. (I want to be able to return it if I
have to). I'll try it out for a while, and let y'all know if it is enough
for me, in case that info helps someone else.

By the way, DO YOU THINK THAT PANASONIC INTENTIONALLY CRIPPLED THE EIS IN
THE 120 AND 200 BECAUSE IT WOULD HURT THE HIGHER END SALES TOO MUCH???

Just a thought.

CrunchyDoodle@gmail.com coughed up:

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupyourn
ose.

The official Panasonic site in Australis makes clear that the NV-GS200
has digital image stabilization, as does every other site I've checked
out on this camera.

http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/details.cfm?pcode=NV%2DGS200&pdiv=DVC3CCD&cat=2_1

n Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:40:04 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>The panasonic site claims that the 3CCD PV-GS200 has optical image
>stabilization.
>
>http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=68764&catGroupId=17171&displayTab=S&surfModel=PV-GS200&surfCategory=3CCD%20Digital%20Camcorders
>

>Is this really true?
>
>All the review sites, and circuit city, all claim that it's electronic
>(digital) only.
>
>Does anyone know for sure? The founder of dvspot.com thinks that it's a
>typo on the panasonic site.
>
>If so, does the GS400 have optical IS? The 3 chip panasonics seem to get
>bad reviews for their image stability (not the single chippers though).
>
>Thanks!

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:21:09 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>By the way, DO YOU THINK THAT PANASONIC INTENTIONALLY CRIPPLED THE EIS IN
>THE 120 AND 200 BECAUSE IT WOULD HURT THE HIGHER END SALES TOO MUCH???

Possibly. Many companies do similar things. For example, back when I worked as
an electronic test engineer, I was issued with a Fluke 75 DMM. My friend had a
77. The main difference was the touch hold function.
Place the probes on the measurement points, listen for the beep, remove probes,
read the value. That way you don't have to look away from where the probe is,
which could be potentially dangerous.

We opened up both meters, and discovered the only difference was the location of
a link on the PCB...

I moved the link on mine to the same location as his and bingo! I now had the
touch hold function.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Crunchy Doodle coughed up:
> It's hard to know if Panasonic would actually cripple the EIS in the
> GS120 and GS200 to protect the sales of the GS400. Here in the USA,
> the GS400 is just now available. The GS120 and GS200 have been around
> for quite a while (in high-tech consumer product terms). The GS400
> does distingish itself with its longer range zoom and bigger CCD
> chips (4MP stills verses 2.1MP), as well as things like true 16:9,
> film-look emulation, enhanced 0 LUX mode and more comprehensive
> manual control.
>
> Obviously I was quite dissapointed in the GS200 EIS, as well as
> low-light performance, to sell it after only one month. I thank God
> for eBay.

Well, I have been goofing around with my new GS15, and I'm thoroughly
UNIMPRESSED with the image quality. That is a TOTAL SHOCK given the
reviews!

This thing, though a 1 chipper, is supposed to be spectacularly clear, and
it shows graininess everywhere and even in a white kitchen with 4 75w bulbs
directly overhead.

This is irritating me no end.

I've tried "magic pix", "automatic white balance", "manual white balance",
"light on", "light off", and still speckles everywhere.

This just cannot be happening.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:21:09 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>By the way, DO YOU THINK THAT PANASONIC INTENTIONALLY CRIPPLED THE
>>EIS IN THE 120 AND 200 BECAUSE IT WOULD HURT THE HIGHER END SALES
>>TOO MUCH???
>
> Possibly. Many companies do similar things. For example, back when
> I worked as an electronic test engineer, I was issued with a Fluke
> 75 DMM. My friend had a 77. The main difference was the touch hold
> function. Place the probes on the measurement points, listen for
> the beep, remove probes, read the value. That way you don't have
> to look away from where the probe is, which could be potentially
> dangerous.
>
> We opened up both meters, and discovered the only difference was
> the location of a link on the PCB...
>
> I moved the link on mine to the same location as his and bingo! I
> now had the touch hold function.

A number of years ago I worked for a company that made software and
hardware for point-of-sale use.

I was looking at some (assembly) code and noticed a few lines that
completely failed to match the comments in the code - in a way that
was clearly not just the common carelessness that can creep into
comments.

A coworker and I looked into that short piece of code and finally
realized that its only function was to disable the feature set that
distinguished the expensive version of the application from the
cheap version. Clearly the comments were meant to keep us (even
though we were employees of the company) from noticing this...

My boss was very p*ssed at us, I might add.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com