  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 10, 2004 9:59:41 PM

Someday's I fancy myself as having a clue. Today is not one of them...

The Hardware:
- Dell Latitude D600 w/Centrino-M and Intel 2200BG mini-PCI wireless card

The Software:
- Intel ProSet 8.x (I've tried 8.0 and 8.01)
- Cisco VPN client 3.6.3

The Problem:
- The above doesn't work with WEP enabled, when (and only when) I try to
connect to my company's network with the Cisco VPN client. The
authentication works, but the logon scripts lockup

What I Learned So Far:
- I CAN connect to the local wireless, WEP-enabled network
- Letting Microsoft's Zero Configuration or ProSet handle the wireless NIC
management makes no difference
- Uninstalling ProSet also uninstalls necessary drivers as evidenced by
problems I encountered after I tried uninstalling it
- The Cisco VPN client works fine with WEP on a Compaq R3140 that uses an
AMD processor, and a Broadcom wireless NIC. It also works fine on plenty of
other non-Centrino Dell laptops I've configured and deployed.

Short of disabling WEP, any clues on how to fix this? I've searched the
web, including a paid technical forum, and not been able to find the answer.
All I've found are others with the same problem who also happen to have
Centrino-M processors and the 2200BG (or earlier models), but no solutions.

At this point (due to process of elimination), I'm suspicious of the
Centrino-M and the 2200BG drivers. I also haven't located drivers
independent of ProSet. Help with that would be appreciated, as well.

--
Rob Buckman, MCP, W2K3
3ri.com

More about : proset cisco vpn wep

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 13, 2004 9:25:04 PM

Make sure you are using the "latest" of everything. There may be an updated
version of the VPN client.

You can try to use the VPN software using a different wireless card on the
same machine to see if that helps, but since this doesn't sound like a
problem with "wireless" per-se, you can probably treat this as a pure Cisco
VPN client issue.

Other than a NIC compatibility problem, you may be having problems with
other network-related features such as firewalls.

It looks like Cisco also has VPN-specific discussion groups - maybe they can
help you troubleshoot this, too.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=main

Microsoft has an in-box VPN solution, but you may need to stick with the
Cisco client, depending on how your VPN infrastructure is set up.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Rob" <not@on_use.net> wrote in message
> Someday's I fancy myself as having a clue. Today is not one of them...
>
> The Hardware:
> - Dell Latitude D600 w/Centrino-M and Intel 2200BG mini-PCI wireless card
>
> The Software:
> - Intel ProSet 8.x (I've tried 8.0 and 8.01)
> - Cisco VPN client 3.6.3
>
> The Problem:
> - The above doesn't work with WEP enabled, when (and only when) I try to
> connect to my company's network with the Cisco VPN client. The
> authentication works, but the logon scripts lockup
>
> What I Learned So Far:
> - I CAN connect to the local wireless, WEP-enabled network
> - Letting Microsoft's Zero Configuration or ProSet handle the wireless NIC
> management makes no difference
> - Uninstalling ProSet also uninstalls necessary drivers as evidenced by
> problems I encountered after I tried uninstalling it
> - The Cisco VPN client works fine with WEP on a Compaq R3140 that uses an
> AMD processor, and a Broadcom wireless NIC. It also works fine on plenty
> of
> other non-Centrino Dell laptops I've configured and deployed.
>

> Short of disabling WEP, any clues on how to fix this? I've searched the
> web, including a paid technical forum, and not been able to find the
> answer.
> All I've found are others with the same problem who also happen to have
> Centrino-M processors and the 2200BG (or earlier models), but no
> solutions.
>
> At this point (due to process of elimination), I'm suspicious of the
> Centrino-M and the 2200BG drivers. I also haven't located drivers
> independent of ProSet. Help with that would be appreciated, as well.
>

> --
> Rob Buckman, MCP, W2K3
> 3ri.com
October 30, 2004 4:57:35 AM

Thanks, Carl. Additional troubleshooting after posting my original
message, led me more towards the same conclusion: Something is up with
the Cisco VPN client when using 64-bit WEP and Centrino technology to
connect to our company's network. 128-bit WEP works. It works without
any encryption. It works with 64-bit WEP on a non-Centrino system.

There are newer versions of the Cisco VPN client, but they are not
approved for use on our network.

On 13-Oct-2004, "Carl DaVault [MSFT]" <carlda@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> You can try to use the VPN software using a different wireless card on the
>
> same machine to see if that helps, but since this doesn't sound like a
> problem with "wireless" per-se, you can probably treat this as a pure
> Cisco
> VPN client issue.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Rob Buckman, MCP, W2K3
3ri.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 30, 2004 11:44:27 AM

I have a Dell Latitude D600 and use Cisco VPN 4.0.1 with XP SP2 and
WPA. I would suggest moving away from 64 bit WEP as fast as you can
since WEP is so easily compromised (especially 64 bit vs 128). 64 bit
WEP just does not give you much protection.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thanks for your input. I wholly agree from a security perspective, but I
can't control the environment in which my customers might use their laptops.

Many of my users take their laptops home and work there, so I needed some
assurance these would work in that type of environment before imaging all
the systems. Now I can advise them of this issue specific to 64-bit WEP,
which several of them use on their home networks.

I'm glad I checked.

!