game software, system conflict?

I'm interested in installing some game software to broaden my cultural
experience.

However, since my memory goes back to games that destroyed Windows 98
systems, I'm a little concerned.
As with many editing machines, my editing system would be a pain to
reinstall, due to all the customization and added hardware.

Are there games in wide distribution that make poorly documented changes in
dll's or do not uninstall cleanly, ie., leaving registry entries behind, and
so forth?

Are there publishers that are particularly trustworthy?

Haven't had any problems with Flight Simulator.

In article <QaSdnaw2GceJ9dDcRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in installing some game software to broaden my cultural
> experience.
>
> However, since my memory goes back to games that destroyed Windows 98
> systems, I'm a little concerned.
> As with many editing machines, my editing system would be a pain to
> reinstall, due to all the customization and added hardware.

Can't you just make an image of your system and store it on some
appropriate backup system?

> Are there games in wide distribution that make poorly documented changes in
> dll's or do not uninstall cleanly, ie., leaving registry entries behind, and
> so forth?

yes

> Are there publishers that are particularly trustworthy?

yes

> Haven't had any problems with Flight Simulator.

no