How do I do remote assistance?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I want to use my laptop with Win XP Pro to assist my wife (Win ME) and my
home desktop (Win XP HE). And maybe my inept father-in-law with his Win98
SE.

I am Soooo lost! I used my Win XP Pro CD on the ME computer to add the
remote support. But I see no way to make that computer eligible to receive
support. And my Win XP HE computer refused to accept the CD update, saying
it was not needed. Same issue - how do I make the computer ready to receive
assistance.

And how do I make my laptop Win XP Pro take control of any of these
computers?

All the computers use Outlook Express 6, with the same ISP.

Will the computers be secure, both while I use them and while they are
waiting for me to connect?

Also, since I have all the computers (except the father-in-law) on the same
router, can I test the process just using my in-home network? I know I will
have firewall issues when I attempt to assist these computers from a remote
location, with it's own router. My router is a Linksys BEFSR41 behind an
RCA cable modem.

TIA for any help, or pointer to some easy-to-understand instructions.
5 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance

    Remote Assistance relies on the Terminal Server technology that's built into Windows XP. You can NOT use remote assistance to help someone using another OS, i.e. Windows 2000 Pro, Windows ME, 9x...

    http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteAssistance

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.htm
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Paul H" <NospaMphobergNospaM@att.net> wrote:

    >I want to use my laptop with Win XP Pro to assist my wife (Win ME) and my
    >home desktop (Win XP HE). And maybe my inept father-in-law with his Win98
    >SE.
    >
    >I am Soooo lost! I used my Win XP Pro CD on the ME computer to add the
    >remote support. But I see no way to make that computer eligible to receive
    >support. And my Win XP HE computer refused to accept the CD update, saying
    >it was not needed. Same issue - how do I make the computer ready to receive
    >assistance.
    >
    >And how do I make my laptop Win XP Pro take control of any of these
    >computers?
    >
    >All the computers use Outlook Express 6, with the same ISP.
    >
    >Will the computers be secure, both while I use them and while they are
    >waiting for me to connect?
    >
    >Also, since I have all the computers (except the father-in-law) on the same
    >router, can I test the process just using my in-home network? I know I will
    >have firewall issues when I attempt to assist these computers from a remote
    >location, with it's own router. My router is a Linksys BEFSR41 behind an
    >RCA cable modem.
    >
    >TIA for any help, or pointer to some easy-to-understand instructions.

    www.GoToMyPC.com
    Perhaps not directly what you're looking for - but an option to consider.

    I found this in Microsoft information. Is this another, different
    capability? I don't think so.
    Is Windows ME specifically excluded from this?
    And I still do not understand how to get it going.
    To obtain the client software

    To set up your second computer ("home" computer) to use Remote Desktop, you
    need the following:
    a.. Access to the remote computer (the computer running Windows XP
    Professional) by means of Local Area Network (LAN), modem, or Virtual
    Private Network (VPN) connection.
    b.. Remote Desktop Connection or Terminal Services client installed on the
    computer. See the following table for instructions on installing the client
    software for your operating system.
    Operating System Client version How to access
    Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Remote Desktop
    Connection installed by default (must be enabled)
    Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Remote Desktop Connection
    Windows 2000 Server Terminal Services 32-bit Client installed by
    default Start/Programs/Terminal Services Client
    Windows 95 & Windows 98 Not installed See To install Remote Desktop
    Connection (32-bit computers)
    Windows NT 4.0 Not installed See To install Remote Desktop Connection
    (32-bit computers)
    Windows NT 3.51 Not installed See To install Terminal Services Client
    (Windows NT 3.51 computers)
    Windows for Workgroups Not installed See To install Terminal Services
    Client (16-bit computers)
    Windows CE Not installed Go to Microsoft.com Download
    Center(http://www.microsoft.com/) and follow the directions to install the
    Windows CE client.

    To install Remote Desktop Connection (32-bit computers)

    1.. On the computer running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 or
    Windows 2000, insert the Windows XP Professional compact disc into your
    CD-ROM drive.
    2.. When the Welcome page appears, click Perform additional tasks, and
    then click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
    3.. Follow the directions that appear on your screen.

    "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Remote Assistance relies on the Terminal Server technology that's built into
    Windows XP. You can NOT use remote assistance to help someone using another
    OS, i.e. Windows 2000 Pro, Windows ME, 9x...

    http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteAssistance

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.htm

    This can be confusing.

    The "client software" spoken of, is client software for connecting to
    Terminal Services.

    This means specifically Remote Desktop in Windows XP (NOT Remote Assistance)
    Terminal Services in Windows 2000 server editions, and Windows Server 2003,
    and NT4 Terminal Server edition.

    Remote Assistance is present in both XP Home and XP Pro, and requires XP on
    both ends of the connection--nothing needs to be installed.

    Remote Desktop is present only in XP Pro, and the client (which is what you
    are looking at) can run on any 32-bit version of Windows.

    There are other options for WinMe and 9.x. NetMeeting's Remote Desktop
    Sharing is included or downloadable for these OS's and is encrypted. VNC in
    its most recent incarnations can be encrypted via add-ons, and works fine on
    9.x--but not nearly as well as Remote Desktop.

    "Paul H" <NospaMphobergNospaM@att.net> wrote in message
    >I found this in Microsoft information. Is this another, different
    > capability? I don't think so.
    > Is Windows ME specifically excluded from this?
    > And I still do not understand how to get it going.
    > To obtain the client software
    >
    > To set up your second computer ("home" computer) to use Remote Desktop,
    > you
    > need the following:
    > a.. Access to the remote computer (the computer running Windows XP
    > Professional) by means of Local Area Network (LAN), modem, or Virtual
    > Private Network (VPN) connection.
    > b.. Remote Desktop Connection or Terminal Services client installed on
    > the
    > computer. See the following table for instructions on installing the
    > client
    > software for your operating system.
    > Operating System Client version How to access
    > Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Remote Desktop
    > Connection installed by default (must be enabled)
    > Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Remote Desktop Connection
    > Windows 2000 Server Terminal Services 32-bit Client installed by
    > default Start/Programs/Terminal Services Client
    > Windows 95 & Windows 98 Not installed See To install Remote Desktop
    > Connection (32-bit computers)
    > Windows NT 4.0 Not installed See To install Remote Desktop Connection
    > (32-bit computers)
    > Windows NT 3.51 Not installed See To install Terminal Services Client
    > (Windows NT 3.51 computers)
    > Windows for Workgroups Not installed See To install Terminal Services
    > Client (16-bit computers)
    > Windows CE Not installed Go to Microsoft.com Download
    > Center(http://www.microsoft.com/) and follow the directions to install the
    > Windows CE client.

    > To install Remote Desktop Connection (32-bit computers)
    >
    > 1.. On the computer running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 or
    > Windows 2000, insert the Windows XP Professional compact disc into your
    > CD-ROM drive.
    > 2.. When the Welcome page appears, click Perform additional tasks, and
    > then click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
    > 3.. Follow the directions that appear on your screen.

    > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > Remote Assistance relies on the Terminal Server technology that's built
    > into
    > Windows XP. You can NOT use remote assistance to help someone using
    > another
    > OS, i.e. Windows 2000 Pro, Windows ME, 9x...
    >
    > http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#RemoteAssistance
    >
    > Patrick Rouse
    > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    > http://www.workthin.htm

  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Paul H" <NospaMphobergNospaM@att.net> wrote in message news:Oxesc.104561$iF6.9634252@attbi_s02...
    | I want to use my laptop with Win XP Pro to assist my wife (Win ME) and my
    | home desktop (Win XP HE). And maybe my inept father-in-law with his Win98
    | SE.
    |
    | I am Soooo lost! I used my Win XP Pro CD on the ME computer to add the
    | remote support. But I see no way to make that computer eligible to receive
    | support. And my Win XP HE computer refused to accept the CD update, saying
    | it was not needed. Same issue - how do I make the computer ready to receive
    | assistance.
    |
    | And how do I make my laptop Win XP Pro take control of any of these
    | computers?
    |
    | All the computers use Outlook Express 6, with the same ISP.
    |
    | Will the computers be secure, both while I use them and while they are
    | waiting for me to connect?
    |
    | Also, since I have all the computers (except the father-in-law) on the same
    | router, can I test the process just using my in-home network? I know I will
    | have firewall issues when I attempt to assist these computers from a remote
    | location, with it's own router. My router is a Linksys BEFSR41 behind an
    | RCA cable modem.
    |
    | TIA for any help, or pointer to some easy-to-understand instructions.

    Give these links a try - if You can not find what You looking . Google for it .

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=300546&product=winxp
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306757&product=winxp

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268_11-5064821.html

    http://www.pccitizen.com/remotecontrol.htm