Procoder 2 - jagged edges

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I'm using Procoder 2 to convert some 16:9 PAL files to VOB format (for
DVD burning) but am finding that, while the original looks and plays
fine on my PC, the transcoded files have very noticeable 'jagged
edges', ie obvious pixellation/blockiness.

After some fiddling around I finally discovered that if I set the
Source Pixel Aspect Ration on the source file to DV NTSC 16:9 then the
problem vanishes - back to nice smooth edges as they should be. That
though causes a new problem - the image is ever so slightly squashed
in the vertical axis.

I'm rather puzzled - how can I transcode these files *without* causing
jagged edges and still maintain the correct aspect ratio?

Thanks

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:46:16 GMT, pjharmon@hotmail.com (phil) wrote:

>I'm using Procoder 2 to convert some 16:9 PAL files to VOB format (for
>DVD burning) but am finding that, while the original looks and plays
>fine on my PC, the transcoded files have very noticeable 'jagged
>edges', ie obvious pixellation/blockiness.

I've noticed the same problem when resizing low-res to high-res.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236014
The solution is to resize with another program (VirtualDub or Avisynth)
and frameserve to ProCoder. Depending on the source video you can also
use ffdshow for resizing.

How to frameserve with VirtualDub:
http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubframeserve

ffdshow:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:05:39 GMT, erratic <erratic@reply-to.address>
wrote:

>I've noticed the same problem when resizing low-res to high-res.
>http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236014
>The solution is to resize with another program (VirtualDub or Avisynth)
>and frameserve to ProCoder. Depending on the source video you can also
>use ffdshow for resizing.
>
>How to frameserve with VirtualDub:
>http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubframeserve
>
>ffdshow:
>http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

Thanks very much for the suggestions. This does indeed solve the
problem BUT I then get a noticeable 'pause' in the display once per
second.

This is when using TMPGEnc Plus. I could though eliminate this if
using Procoder 2 BUT a problem ......... Procoder 2 it won't recognise
the frameserve file generated by VirtualDub, only TMPGEnc Plus will
recognise it, but that then introduces the pauses.

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:24:56 GMT, pjharmon@hotmail.com (phil) wrote:

>Procoder 2 it won't recognise
>the frameserve file generated by VirtualDub

You're right. I hadn't tried it. There are other ways to frameserve,
though: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/87270.php

But it's easier to use ffdshow. Install it and ProCoder will use it for
decompressing divx/xvid and (if necessary) several other video formats.
It has many configuration options, including resize & aspect (Lanczos
resizing method is recommended). I'll repeat the link:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

pjharmon@hotmail.com (phil) wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:05:39 GMT, erratic <erratic@reply-to.address>
>wrote:
>
>>I've noticed the same problem when resizing low-res to high-res.
>>http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236014
>>The solution is to resize with another program (VirtualDub or Avisynth)
>>and frameserve to ProCoder. Depending on the source video you can also
>>use ffdshow for resizing.
>>
>>How to frameserve with VirtualDub:
>>http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubframeserve
>>
>>ffdshow:
>>http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm
>
>Thanks very much for the suggestions. This does indeed solve the
>problem BUT I then get a noticeable 'pause' in the display once per
>second.
>
>This is when using TMPGEnc Plus. I could though eliminate this if
>using Procoder 2 BUT a problem ......... Procoder 2 it won't recognise
>the frameserve file generated by VirtualDub, only TMPGEnc Plus will
>recognise it, but that then introduces the pauses.
>
>Any thoughts please?

You're converting PAL files to NTSC? Changing the framerate can cause
such pauses.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:46:16 GMT, pjharmon@hotmail.com (phil) wrote:

>I'm using Procoder 2 to convert some 16:9 PAL files to VOB format (for
>DVD burning) but am finding that, while the original looks and plays
>fine on my PC, the transcoded files have very noticeable 'jagged
>edges', ie obvious pixellation/blockiness.

Um, first of all, are you converting the PAL to PAL-format
VOBs, or are you trying to convert PAL to NTSC?
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!