  • Permissions
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 2:41:56 PM

I have administratively assigned a 'Standards' folder to be available
offline through group policy to a laptop OU. This assigned folder contains a
subfolder named 'Accounting', which is assigned permissions so that it is
only accessable by members of the 'Accounting' group. When a Domain User
logs on to the laptop while it is connected to the network, they cannot
access the 'Accounting' folder. When the same users disconnects from the
network and logs into the laptop using their cached credentials, the user is
able to view and open the contents of the 'Accounting' folder.

Is this normal operation for offline files or do I need to perform
additional configuration to secure the 'Accounting' folder at all times?

More about : offline files permissions

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 1:54:10 AM

Oohh.. That's interesting... You wouldn't expect that to be the
case...

I'll try to reproduce tomorrow at the office..

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:41:56 -0500, "Joe Vondra"
<jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote:

>I have administratively assigned a 'Standards' folder to be available
>offline through group policy to a laptop OU. This assigned folder contains a
>subfolder named 'Accounting', which is assigned permissions so that it is
>only accessable by members of the 'Accounting' group. When a Domain User
>logs on to the laptop while it is connected to the network, they cannot
>access the 'Accounting' folder. When the same users disconnects from the
>network and logs into the laptop using their cached credentials, the user is
>able to view and open the contents of the 'Accounting' folder.
>
>Is this normal operation for offline files or do I need to perform
>additional configuration to secure the 'Accounting' folder at all times?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 2:11:37 PM

The only thought I had was NTFS vs FAT (i.e. is the laptop drive formatted
FAT)--and if so, surely there ought to be some form of warning about this
gotcha--or maybe I am totally off the mark?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:j9d5b05ptrj0a1fod8pdtbo7ooljfi0mja@4ax.com...
> Oohh.. That's interesting... You wouldn't expect that to be the
> case...
>
> I'll try to reproduce tomorrow at the office..
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:41:56 -0500, "Joe Vondra"
> <jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote:
>
>>I have administratively assigned a 'Standards' folder to be available
>>offline through group policy to a laptop OU. This assigned folder contains
>>subfolder named 'Accounting', which is assigned permissions so that it is
>>only accessable by members of the 'Accounting' group. When a Domain User
>>logs on to the laptop while it is connected to the network, they cannot
>>access the 'Accounting' folder. When the same users disconnects from the
>>network and logs into the laptop using their cached credentials, the user
>>is
>>able to view and open the contents of the 'Accounting' folder.
>>
>>Is this normal operation for offline files or do I need to perform
>>additional configuration to secure the 'Accounting' folder at all times?

a b D Laptop
May 26, 2004 5:51:01 PM

The laptop drive is formatted NTFS. Good thought though.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> The only thought I had was NTFS vs FAT (i.e. is the laptop drive formatted
> FAT)--and if so, surely there ought to be some form of warning about this
> gotcha--or maybe I am totally off the mark?
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote
> in message news:j9d5b05ptrj0a1fod8pdtbo7ooljfi0mja@4ax.com...
> > Oohh.. That's interesting... You wouldn't expect that to be the
> > case...
> >
> > I'll try to reproduce tomorrow at the office..
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:41:56 -0500, "Joe Vondra"
> > <jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote:
> >
> >>I have administratively assigned a 'Standards' folder to be available
> >>offline through group policy to a laptop OU. This assigned folder
contains
> >>subfolder named 'Accounting', which is assigned permissions so that it
is
> >>only accessable by members of the 'Accounting' group. When a Domain User
> >>logs on to the laptop while it is connected to the network, they cannot
> >>access the 'Accounting' folder. When the same users disconnects from the
> >>network and logs into the laptop using their cached credentials, the
user
> >>is
> >>able to view and open the contents of the 'Accounting' folder.
> >>
> >>Is this normal operation for offline files or do I need to perform
> >>additional configuration to secure the 'Accounting' folder at all times?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2004 8:53:25 PM

Sounding definitely buggish, assuming that the laptop is joined to the
domain.

"Joe Vondra" <jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote in message
> The laptop drive is formatted NTFS. Good thought though.
>

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> The only thought I had was NTFS vs FAT (i.e. is the laptop drive
>> formatted
>> FAT)--and if so, surely there ought to be some form of warning about this
>> gotcha--or maybe I am totally off the mark?
>>
>> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> wrote
>> in message news:j9d5b05ptrj0a1fod8pdtbo7ooljfi0mja@4ax.com...
>> > Oohh.. That's interesting... You wouldn't expect that to be the
>> > case...
>> >
>> > I'll try to reproduce tomorrow at the office..
>> >
>> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>> >
>> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> > be answered depending on time availability....
>> >
>> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> contains
> is
> user

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 27, 2004 3:46:59 PM

Hmm,
I'll reinstall and see what happens.

> Sounding definitely buggish, assuming that the laptop is joined to the
> domain.
>
> "Joe Vondra" <jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote in message
> > The laptop drive is formatted NTFS. Good thought though.
> >

> > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> >> The only thought I had was NTFS vs FAT (i.e. is the laptop drive
> >> formatted
> >> FAT)--and if so, surely there ought to be some form of warning about
this
> >> gotcha--or maybe I am totally off the mark?
> >>
> >> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> > wrote
> >> in message news:j9d5b05ptrj0a1fod8pdtbo7ooljfi0mja@4ax.com...

> > contains
> > is
> > user

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 3:15:11 AM

I reproduced it and bugged it with SP2, not that I think it could be
fixed in that timeframe...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:54:10 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>Oohh.. That's interesting... You wouldn't expect that to be the
>case...
>
>I'll try to reproduce tomorrow at the office..
>
>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:41:56 -0500, "Joe Vondra"
><jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote:
>
>>I have administratively assigned a 'Standards' folder to be available
>>offline through group policy to a laptop OU. This assigned folder contains a
>>subfolder named 'Accounting', which is assigned permissions so that it is
>>only accessable by members of the 'Accounting' group. When a Domain User
>>logs on to the laptop while it is connected to the network, they cannot
>>access the 'Accounting' folder. When the same users disconnects from the
>>network and logs into the laptop using their cached credentials, the user is
>>able to view and open the contents of the 'Accounting' folder.
>>
>>Is this normal operation for offline files or do I need to perform
>>additional configuration to secure the 'Accounting' folder at all times?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 28, 2004 3:15:28 AM

Definately a bug... :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:53:25 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Sounding definitely buggish, assuming that the laptop is joined to the
>domain.
>
>"Joe Vondra" <jvondraATciorbaDOTcom> wrote in message
>> The laptop drive is formatted NTFS. Good thought though.
>>

>> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>> The only thought I had was NTFS vs FAT (i.e. is the laptop drive
>>> formatted
>>> FAT)--and if so, surely there ought to be some form of warning about this
>>> gotcha--or maybe I am totally off the mark?
>>>
>>> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
>> wrote
>>> in message news:j9d5b05ptrj0a1fod8pdtbo7ooljfi0mja@4ax.com...

>> contains