RD from Win98 to server 2003

May 24, 2004 7:34:20 PM

Setup:

D-link 514 router: 192.168.0.1

W2K3 computer: Windows server 2003, enterprise edition: 192.168.0.2.
DC for domain.

athlon2k (boot 1): windows 2000 prof: DHCP 192.168.0.102. Workgroup
member (not domain)
athlon2k (boot 2): win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.2 Workgroup member (not
domain)

marijab: win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.4 . Workgroup member.

ibmthinkpad: win98se, DHCP issued: 192.168.0.158. Member of domain. (I
tried both workgroup and domain setup, same result)

I can:

Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win200 to w2k3 (using ip
address, of course... athlon is not a domain member)

Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win98 to w2k3 (using ip
address again)

Use remote desktop from marijab to w2k3.

I can NOT connect from ibmthinkpad to w2k3 using. The message is: "The
remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote
computer again".

When I set up ibmthinkpad to be a member of a domain, start RD and
browse for servers, I can see a domain name, but can't expand it.

I can browse network neighborhood and see both machines (ibmthinkpad
and w2k3) and browse shared resources.

I've seen two or three reports of similar situation in this
newsgroup, but haven't seen a solution. Any ideas?

mj

More about : win98 server 2003

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:34:21 PM

Has the IP stack on the Thinkpad ever been "tuned" with a third-party
application to make it work "better" for some specific application--like
dialup?

Can you ping the w2k3 server from the Thinkpad? (presumably yes, since you
can join the domain, etc!)

Are you using the latest client piece?

(possibly irrelevant, but it won't hurt!)

"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Setup:
>
> D-link 514 router: 192.168.0.1
>
> W2K3 computer: Windows server 2003, enterprise edition: 192.168.0.2.
> DC for domain.
>
> athlon2k (boot 1): windows 2000 prof: DHCP 192.168.0.102. Workgroup
> member (not domain)
> athlon2k (boot 2): win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.2 Workgroup member (not
> domain)
>
> marijab: win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.4 . Workgroup member.
>
> ibmthinkpad: win98se, DHCP issued: 192.168.0.158. Member of domain. (I
> tried both workgroup and domain setup, same result)
>
> I can:
>
> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win200 to w2k3 (using ip
> address, of course... athlon is not a domain member)
>
> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win98 to w2k3 (using ip
> address again)
>
> Use remote desktop from marijab to w2k3.
>
> I can NOT connect from ibmthinkpad to w2k3 using. The message is: "The
> remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote
> computer again".
>
> When I set up ibmthinkpad to be a member of a domain, start RD and
> browse for servers, I can see a domain name, but can't expand it.
>
> I can browse network neighborhood and see both machines (ibmthinkpad
> and w2k3) and browse shared resources.
>
> I've seen two or three reports of similar situation in this
> newsgroup, but haven't seen a solution. Any ideas?
>
> mj
May 24, 2004 10:20:10 PM

Ping... yes that's the first thing i checked.

It is the latest RD client.

Now, as far as tunning... hmmm... I bought this puppy used and I don't
know what might have been done to it before. Any idea how to re-set it
to defaults? Re-install from scratch?

mj

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:01:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Has the IP stack on the Thinkpad ever been "tuned" with a third-party
>application to make it work "better" for some specific application--like
>dialup?
>
>Can you ping the w2k3 server from the Thinkpad? (presumably yes, since you
>can join the domain, etc!)
>
>Are you using the latest client piece?
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
>(possibly irrelevant, but it won't hurt!)
>

>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Setup:
>>
>> D-link 514 router: 192.168.0.1
>>
>> W2K3 computer: Windows server 2003, enterprise edition: 192.168.0.2.
>> DC for domain.
>>
>> athlon2k (boot 1): windows 2000 prof: DHCP 192.168.0.102. Workgroup
>> member (not domain)
>> athlon2k (boot 2): win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.2 Workgroup member (not
>> domain)
>>
>> marijab: win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.4 . Workgroup member.
>>
>> ibmthinkpad: win98se, DHCP issued: 192.168.0.158. Member of domain. (I
>> tried both workgroup and domain setup, same result)
>>
>> I can:
>>
>> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win200 to w2k3 (using ip
>> address, of course... athlon is not a domain member)
>>
>> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win98 to w2k3 (using ip
>> address again)
>>
>> Use remote desktop from marijab to w2k3.
>>
>> I can NOT connect from ibmthinkpad to w2k3 using. The message is: "The
>> remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote
>> computer again".
>>
>> When I set up ibmthinkpad to be a member of a domain, start RD and
>> browse for servers, I can see a domain name, but can't expand it.
>>
>> I can browse network neighborhood and see both machines (ibmthinkpad
>> and w2k3) and browse shared resources.
>>
>> I've seen two or three reports of similar situation in this
>> newsgroup, but haven't seen a solution. Any ideas?
>>
>> mj

May 25, 2004 2:10:06 PM

I think if you go here:

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

and dig around for a bit, you can find both Dr TCP and, I think, registry
files to reset various versions of windows to defaults for window size, etc.

You could test using their tweak tester to see whether it spots anything. I
looked a little bit for the .REG files and didn't spot them, but I think
they are there, somewhere.

"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:p 3t4b0524eqsv001vpn6mhne789mtp4tef@4ax.com...
> Ping... yes that's the first thing i checked.
>
> It is the latest RD client.
>
> Now, as far as tunning... hmmm... I bought this puppy used and I don't
> know what might have been done to it before. Any idea how to re-set it
> to defaults? Re-install from scratch?
>
> mj
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:01:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Has the IP stack on the Thinkpad ever been "tuned" with a third-party
>>application to make it work "better" for some specific application--like
>>dialup?
>>
>>Can you ping the w2k3 server from the Thinkpad? (presumably yes, since you
>>can join the domain, etc!)
>>
>>Are you using the latest client piece?
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>>(possibly irrelevant, but it won't hurt!)
>>

>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Setup:
>>>
>>> D-link 514 router: 192.168.0.1
>>>
>>> W2K3 computer: Windows server 2003, enterprise edition: 192.168.0.2.
>>> DC for domain.
>>>
>>> athlon2k (boot 1): windows 2000 prof: DHCP 192.168.0.102. Workgroup
>>> member (not domain)
>>> athlon2k (boot 2): win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.2 Workgroup member (not
>>> domain)
>>>
>>> marijab: win98se, DHCP 192.168.0.4 . Workgroup member.
>>>
>>> ibmthinkpad: win98se, DHCP issued: 192.168.0.158. Member of domain. (I
>>> tried both workgroup and domain setup, same result)
>>>
>>> I can:
>>>
>>> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win200 to w2k3 (using ip
>>> address, of course... athlon is not a domain member)
>>>
>>> Use remote desktop from athlon2k running win98 to w2k3 (using ip
>>> address again)
>>>
>>> Use remote desktop from marijab to w2k3.
>>>
>>> I can NOT connect from ibmthinkpad to w2k3 using. The message is: "The
>>> remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote
>>> computer again".
>>>
>>> When I set up ibmthinkpad to be a member of a domain, start RD and
>>> browse for servers, I can see a domain name, but can't expand it.
>>>
>>> I can browse network neighborhood and see both machines (ibmthinkpad
>>> and w2k3) and browse shared resources.
>>>
>>> I've seen two or three reports of similar situation in this
>>> newsgroup, but haven't seen a solution. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> mj

May 25, 2004 4:36:42 PM

None of those changes seem to make a difference.

There's one more clue: I get exactly the same timeout message if I
type an invalid IP address. So the timeout message is misleading: it
makes it appear as if I connected to the remote machine and timed out,
while in reality they never even connected.

My guess is that the RD _might_ be somehow looking to only one network
adapter on my thinkpad (the firt one it would find is dial-up) instead
of using the network adapter. Does that make sense?

mj

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:10:06 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>I think if you go here:
>
>http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>
>and dig around for a bit, you can find both Dr TCP and, I think, registry
>files to reset various versions of windows to defaults for window size, etc.
>
>You could test using their tweak tester to see whether it spots anything. I
>looked a little bit for the .REG files and didn't spot them, but I think
>they are there, somewhere.
>
>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>news:p 3t4b0524eqsv001vpn6mhne789mtp4tef@4ax.com...
>> Ping... yes that's the first thing i checked.
>>
>> It is the latest RD client.
>>
>> Now, as far as tunning... hmmm... I bought this puppy used and I don't
>> know what might have been done to it before. Any idea how to re-set it
>> to defaults? Re-install from scratch?
>>
>> mj
>>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:01:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
>> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Has the IP stack on the Thinkpad ever been "tuned" with a third-party
>>>application to make it work "better" for some specific application--like
>>>dialup?
>>>
>>>Can you ping the w2k3 server from the Thinkpad? (presumably yes, since you
>>>can join the domain, etc!)
>>>
>>>Are you using the latest client piece?
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>>
>>>(possibly irrelevant, but it won't hurt!)
>>>

>>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 12:52:32 AM

What happens if you run the Internet Connection Wizard, and tell it that the
connection type is LAN?

We did talk about whether or not there's third-party firewall software
involved, right? Any unusual services hanging around, left over from such a
bit of software?

You were able to join the domain fine from this machine--does it connect up
and log in normally? No slow issues from DNS being set wrong?

I'm not thinking real creatively at the moment, I think--hope somebody else
is watching and has better thoughts!

> None of those changes seem to make a difference.
>
> There's one more clue: I get exactly the same timeout message if I
> type an invalid IP address. So the timeout message is misleading: it
> makes it appear as if I connected to the remote machine and timed out,
> while in reality they never even connected.
>
> My guess is that the RD _might_ be somehow looking to only one network
> adapter on my thinkpad (the firt one it would find is dial-up) instead
> of using the network adapter. Does that make sense?
>
> mj
>
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:10:06 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>I think if you go here:
>>
>>http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>>
>>and dig around for a bit, you can find both Dr TCP and, I think, registry
>>files to reset various versions of windows to defaults for window size,
>>etc.
>>
>>You could test using their tweak tester to see whether it spots anything.
>>looked a little bit for the .REG files and didn't spot them, but I think
>>they are there, somewhere.
>>
>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>news:p 3t4b0524eqsv001vpn6mhne789mtp4tef@4ax.com...
>>> Ping... yes that's the first thing i checked.
>>>
>>> It is the latest RD client.
>>>
>>> Now, as far as tunning... hmmm... I bought this puppy used and I don't
>>> know what might have been done to it before. Any idea how to re-set it
>>> to defaults? Re-install from scratch?
>>>
>>> mj

May 26, 2004 4:43:07 AM

Done the internet connection wizard, that's not it.

No firewall... but I will install it. Why? So it will let me know if
I'm connecting at all. For example, one of the other machines has
"Tiny Personal Firewall", and when I tried to run RD it alerted me to
a connection on port 3389. I opened it and things worked.

Yeah, I can join a domain. But that is irrelevant, 'cause I can run RD
from other machines which are not part of a domain, using IP address
only.

One more detail: I just tried to run RD in a different environment.
There is no RD server there. But I just tried to run a client on
another win98 machine (just to see the error message). When I started
RD client and tried browsing for a computer to connect, I got the
message: "The domain/workgroup does not conatin any Terminal servers".
I got that message almost immediately. And that is a correct message.

However, when I try to run the same thing from my thinkpad, I can see
domain name, but when I try to browse it it just hangs for about a
minute before giving me the "timeout" message.

Darn.

Any more ideas? I'm pretty sure this is a bug in RD client...

mj

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:52:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>What happens if you run the Internet Connection Wizard, and tell it that the
>connection type is LAN?
>
>We did talk about whether or not there's third-party firewall software
>involved, right? Any unusual services hanging around, left over from such a
>bit of software?
>
>You were able to join the domain fine from this machine--does it connect up
>and log in normally? No slow issues from DNS being set wrong?
>
>I'm not thinking real creatively at the moment, I think--hope somebody else
>is watching and has better thoughts!
>

>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> None of those changes seem to make a difference.
>>
>> There's one more clue: I get exactly the same timeout message if I
>> type an invalid IP address. So the timeout message is misleading: it
>> makes it appear as if I connected to the remote machine and timed out,
>> while in reality they never even connected.
>>
>> My guess is that the RD _might_ be somehow looking to only one network
>> adapter on my thinkpad (the firt one it would find is dial-up) instead
>> of using the network adapter. Does that make sense?
>>
>> mj
>>
>> On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:10:06 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
>> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I think if you go here:
>>>
>>>http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>>>
>>>and dig around for a bit, you can find both Dr TCP and, I think, registry
>>>files to reset various versions of windows to defaults for window size,
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>You could test using their tweak tester to see whether it spots anything.
>>>looked a little bit for the .REG files and didn't spot them, but I think
>>>they are there, somewhere.
>>>
>>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>news:p 3t4b0524eqsv001vpn6mhne789mtp4tef@4ax.com...

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 5:54:35 PM

If it is a bug it is pretty darn rare--apparently just your thinkpad :)

Browsing is only turned on by default for Terminal Services running on
Server OS's--so if you are in a workgroup full of XP Pro machines with RD
turned on, browsing will go nowhere. There's a KB article on how to turn it
on if desired, though.

If I am remembering your situation correctly, however, browsing should work
for you--you are trying to connect to a server?

So--I suspect the browsing behavior is another symptom of the same issue
that's blocking your connection.

> Done the internet connection wizard, that's not it.
>
> No firewall... but I will install it. Why? So it will let me know if
> I'm connecting at all. For example, one of the other machines has
> "Tiny Personal Firewall", and when I tried to run RD it alerted me to
> a connection on port 3389. I opened it and things worked.
>
> Yeah, I can join a domain. But that is irrelevant, 'cause I can run RD
> from other machines which are not part of a domain, using IP address
> only.
>
> One more detail: I just tried to run RD in a different environment.
> There is no RD server there. But I just tried to run a client on
> another win98 machine (just to see the error message). When I started
> RD client and tried browsing for a computer to connect, I got the
> message: "The domain/workgroup does not conatin any Terminal servers".
> I got that message almost immediately. And that is a correct message.
>
> However, when I try to run the same thing from my thinkpad, I can see
> domain name, but when I try to browse it it just hangs for about a
> minute before giving me the "timeout" message.
>
> Darn.
>
> Any more ideas? I'm pretty sure this is a bug in RD client...
>
> mj
>

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:52:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>What happens if you run the Internet Connection Wizard, and tell it that
>>the
>>connection type is LAN?
>>
>>We did talk about whether or not there's third-party firewall software
>>involved, right? Any unusual services hanging around, left over from such
>>bit of software?
>>
>>You were able to join the domain fine from this machine--does it connect
>>up
>>and log in normally? No slow issues from DNS being set wrong?
>>
>>I'm not thinking real creatively at the moment, I think--hope somebody
>>else
>>is watching and has better thoughts!
>>

>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> None of those changes seem to make a difference.
>>>
>>> There's one more clue: I get exactly the same timeout message if I
>>> type an invalid IP address. So the timeout message is misleading: it
>>> makes it appear as if I connected to the remote machine and timed out,
>>> while in reality they never even connected.
>>>
>>> My guess is that the RD _might_ be somehow looking to only one network
>>> adapter on my thinkpad (the firt one it would find is dial-up) instead
>>> of using the network adapter. Does that make sense?
>>>
>>> mj

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 3:19:07 AM

Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP turned off by chance? This could be
why there is no adveritised list.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 00:43:07 -0400, x <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Done the internet connection wizard, that's not it.
>
>No firewall... but I will install it. Why? So it will let me know if
>I'm connecting at all. For example, one of the other machines has
>"Tiny Personal Firewall", and when I tried to run RD it alerted me to
>a connection on port 3389. I opened it and things worked.
>
>Yeah, I can join a domain. But that is irrelevant, 'cause I can run RD
>from other machines which are not part of a domain, using IP address
>only.
>
>One more detail: I just tried to run RD in a different environment.
>There is no RD server there. But I just tried to run a client on
>another win98 machine (just to see the error message). When I started
>RD client and tried browsing for a computer to connect, I got the
>message: "The domain/workgroup does not conatin any Terminal servers".
>I got that message almost immediately. And that is a correct message.
>
>However, when I try to run the same thing from my thinkpad, I can see
>domain name, but when I try to browse it it just hangs for about a
>minute before giving me the "timeout" message.
>
>Darn.
>
>Any more ideas? I'm pretty sure this is a bug in RD client...
>
>mj
>

>On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:52:32 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
><Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>What happens if you run the Internet Connection Wizard, and tell it that the
>>connection type is LAN?
>>
>>We did talk about whether or not there's third-party firewall software
>>involved, right? Any unusual services hanging around, left over from such a
>>bit of software?
>>
>>You were able to join the domain fine from this machine--does it connect up
>>and log in normally? No slow issues from DNS being set wrong?
>>
>>I'm not thinking real creatively at the moment, I think--hope somebody else
>>is watching and has better thoughts!
>>

>>"x" <no-email@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> None of those changes seem to make a difference.
>>>
>>> There's one more clue: I get exactly the same timeout message if I
>>> type an invalid IP address. So the timeout message is misleading: it
>>> makes it appear as if I connected to the remote machine and timed out,
>>> while in reality they never even connected.
>>>
>>> My guess is that the RD _might_ be somehow looking to only one network
>>> adapter on my thinkpad (the firt one it would find is dial-up) instead
>>> of using the network adapter. Does that make sense?
>>>
>>> mj

May 28, 2004 12:31:46 PM

Well, the option to turn it _off_ is greyed out. It seems it is turned
on, but the window is greyed out and can't be changed. That is
strange.

I know I've seen this option on another computer and it was
changeable, so this could be a clue to the problem. This is a second
hand machine and there could be some non-standard configuration. How
would I make this option available again?

mj

!