Want to sync audio/video captured separately

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2004 4:47:14 AM

I found that if I don't record the audio, I can capture all day at the
highest bitrate that this capture card will muster, both fields, full
resolution all day without dropping a frame. So, I got the brilliant idea of
capturing the audio on one computer and the video on another simultaneously
to allow for any deviations in the cams playback, burn the audio onto a
rewriteable CD and import it to the captured video. Capturing from analog
8mm to a Pinnacle DC10-Plus.

However, surely there's got to be a more accurate/elegant way of sync'ing
them together other than using Soundforge to open the avi file and pasting
the audio in and trim a little at a time until they appear to be sync'd.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:47:15 AM

"Doc" wrote ...
>I found that if I don't record the audio, I can capture all day at the
> highest bitrate that this capture card will muster, both fields, full
> resolution all day without dropping a frame. So, I got the brilliant idea
> of
> capturing the audio on one computer and the video on another
> simultaneously
> to allow for any deviations in the cams playback, burn the audio onto a
> rewriteable CD and import it to the captured video. Capturing from analog
> 8mm to a Pinnacle DC10-Plus.
>
> However, surely there's got to be a more accurate/elegant way of sync'ing
> them together other than using Soundforge to open the avi file and pasting
> the audio in and trim a little at a time until they appear to be sync'd.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Get a decent capture card? Or perhaps a generic Firewire port
and a Canopus ADVC-100 (or equivalent). Your post is number 194*
in a continuing string of negative experiences with Pinnacle products.

* Estimated :-)
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:11:45 PM

Actually the Pinnacle Studio 9 A/V will do the job for you at the least cost
($70 total). I just recently installed one at a friends PC with the latest
software update, and everything works exactly as advertised!
Note, that the low price of the Pinnacle Products attracts many people with
very little knowledge of PC operation. Video editing is complex, and leads
easily to 'pilot errors'.
Also the DC10+ was designed for W98, using Microsoft VFW software. This is
not supported in W2000, nor in XP. The workaround patches seem to cause
audio capture problems in some PCs.
Fred

> "Doc" wrote ...
> >I found that if I don't record the audio, I can capture all day at the
> > highest bitrate that this capture card will muster, both fields, full
> > resolution all day without dropping a frame. So, I got the brilliant
idea
> > of
> > capturing the audio on one computer and the video on another
> > simultaneously
> > to allow for any deviations in the cams playback, burn the audio onto a
> > rewriteable CD and import it to the captured video. Capturing from
analog
> > 8mm to a Pinnacle DC10-Plus.
> >
> > However, surely there's got to be a more accurate/elegant way of
sync'ing
> > them together other than using Soundforge to open the avi file and
pasting
> > the audio in and trim a little at a time until they appear to be sync'd.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Get a decent capture card? Or perhaps a generic Firewire port
> and a Canopus ADVC-100 (or equivalent). Your post is number 194*
> in a continuing string of negative experiences with Pinnacle products.
>
> * Estimated :-)

September 21, 2004 4:11:46 PM

"Ingeborg" wrote ...
> Actually the Pinnacle Studio 9 A/V will do the job for you at the least
> cost
> ($70 total). I just recently installed one at a friends PC with the
> latest
> software update, and everything works exactly as advertised!
> Note, that the low price of the Pinnacle Products attracts many people
> with
> very little knowledge of PC operation. Video editing is complex, and
> leads
> easily to 'pilot errors'.
> Also the DC10+ was designed for W98, using Microsoft VFW software. This
> is
> not supported in W2000, nor in XP. The workaround patches seem to cause
> audio capture problems in some PCs.
> Fred

Good to know. Maybe Pinnacle users should be refered so
someplace that specializes in Pinnacle products so that people
like Fred/Ingeborg can help them.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 6:09:44 PM

Pinnacle has a Webboard for their products. It is monitored by Pinnacle and
does provide help!
Fred

> "Ingeborg" wrote ...
> > Actually the Pinnacle Studio 9 A/V will do the job for you at the least
> > cost
> > ($70 total). I just recently installed one at a friends PC with the
> > latest
> > software update, and everything works exactly as advertised!
> > Note, that the low price of the Pinnacle Products attracts many people
> > with
> > very little knowledge of PC operation. Video editing is complex, and
> > leads
> > easily to 'pilot errors'.
> > Also the DC10+ was designed for W98, using Microsoft VFW software. This
> > is
> > not supported in W2000, nor in XP. The workaround patches seem to cause
> > audio capture problems in some PCs.
> > Fred
>
> Good to know. Maybe Pinnacle users should be refered so
> someplace that specializes in Pinnacle products so that people
> like Fred/Ingeborg can help them.

September 22, 2004 12:06:20 AM

> Get a decent capture card? Or perhaps a generic Firewire port
> and a Canopus ADVC-100 (or equivalent). Your post is number 194*
> in a continuing string of negative experiences with Pinnacle products.

While I've bitched about Pinnacle in the past for different reasons, this
wasn't really a complaint as such. Since my PC is a 550mhz, I imagine
capturing video both fields, full resolution at maximum data rate plus sound
is too much for the system. It will do fine caputring just one field, but
the picture is inferior. I find that if I record the audio separately on
another computer, the 550mhz will capture the video fine at full data rate,
both fields.

So, what I'm looking for is a way to put the sound and video back together
precisely. Yes, obviously buying a faster computer would probably do it,
but I'm looking for a way to do it without having to do that.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 2:07:52 AM

Doc said:

>>Since my PC is a 550mhz, I imagine
capturing video both fields, full resolution at maximum data rate plus sound
is too much for the system.>>

That should be plenty fast enough. I don't know what the mininum speed is,
but I do fine with 360mhz.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
!