Problem with wireless networking after SP2

Hello.

I have such a funny problem, I use a 3com card that worked really fine with
wep 128 bit before and an SMC access point.

After installing my computer again and applying sp2, my card did not find
any networks at all anymore... I did run the wisard and I did add a couple of
networks as preferred to the list of preferred networks. After that I did try
to update the driver and a new driver for my card was found from windows, and
suddenly the network appears. However, now for some reason, I cannot anymore
edit the list of preferred networks. I get "At least one of your changes was
not applied successfully to the wireless configuration" when either trying to
remove SSIDs or changing order or trying to disable windows configuration.

How do I remove preferred networks from the list when the changes does not
get successfully applied? Where is configuration stored?

I solved the problem allready.

The computer belongs to a domain and there was a wireless network policy
specified for the networking. By changing in the policy the network is
working.

ivo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004

It seems I have the same problem: "at least one of your changes was not
applied successfully to the wireless configuration". No way to change the
wireless configuration on the client (WXPPRO SP2).
I also have a remote access policy in IAS but what's wrong with it?
I don't know.

What did you change to make your installation work?
Thanks,
Ivo

"Patrik Hall" schreef:

> I solved the problem allready.
>
> The computer belongs to a domain and there was a wireless network policy
> specified for the networking. By changing in the policy the network is
> working.

If you are seeing this message you have wireless group policy applied to the
machine. You can not change SSID setting applied by policy but you can add,
change or delete SSID settings you add. You will see this message when you
add an SSID and it is placed in the list above those in the policy. The
SSID added is moved below those in the policy but the changes or addition
are saved. Duplicate SSID settings are not allowed.

newsgroup purposes only.
"Ivo" <Ivo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems I have the same problem: "at least one of your changes was not
> applied successfully to the wireless configuration". No way to change the
> wireless configuration on the client (WXPPRO SP2).
> I also have a remote access policy in IAS but what's wrong with it?
> I don't know.
>
> What did you change to make your installation work?
> Thanks,
> Ivo
>

> "Patrik Hall" schreef:
>
>> I solved the problem allready.
>>
>> The computer belongs to a domain and there was a wireless network policy
>> specified for the networking. By changing in the policy the network is
>> working.

ivo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004

OK thanks, I have removed the policy.
It was in the default domain policy, windows settings, security and there
was a "wireless" section with "locked" SSID.

Ivo

"Jim Seifert [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you are seeing this message you have wireless group policy applied to the
> machine. You can not change SSID setting applied by policy but you can add,
> change or delete SSID settings you add. You will see this message when you
> add an SSID and it is placed in the list above those in the policy. The
> SSID added is moved below those in the policy but the changes or addition
> are saved. Duplicate SSID settings are not allowed.
>
> --
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> "Ivo" <Ivo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It seems I have the same problem: "at least one of your changes was not
> > applied successfully to the wireless configuration". No way to change the
> > wireless configuration on the client (WXPPRO SP2).
> > I also have a remote access policy in IAS but what's wrong with it?
> > I don't know.
> >
> > What did you change to make your installation work?
> > Thanks,
> > Ivo
> >

> > "Patrik Hall" schreef:
> >
> >> I solved the problem allready.
> >>
> >> The computer belongs to a domain and there was a wireless network policy
> >> specified for the networking. By changing in the policy the network is
> >> working.

ivo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004

OK I removed the wireless section of this domain policy.
and unlocked the SSID.
Thanks, Ivo