VPN pptp - strange client setup problem

Hey group!

I've a really strange setup problem connectiong to a pptp VPN server.

Thought it whould be quite to setup I clicked
Network -> new Connection -> VPN and so on.

Then I choosed the properties of my new connection, -> security:
MS-chap and MS-cap (V2) and also optional data encryption.

On Network I choosed TCP/IP (with no static IP's) and "Client for
MS-Networks". And I also choosed VPT-Type as PPTP-VPN because
my Server is that type.

Ok, now I tried to start the connection:

Ups: After "connect" I get the Error 609: Device type does not exist.

Hmm, any one seen this problem before.

My System is Win XP Home SP1 with latest online update this morning.

Regards, Lukas

On 25 May 2004 10:39:38 +0200, Lukas Mensinck wrote:
> Hey group!
>
> I've a really strange setup problem connectiong to a pptp VPN server.
>
> Thought it whould be quite to setup I clicked
> Network -> new Connection -> VPN and so on.
>
> Then I choosed the properties of my new connection, -> security:
> MS-chap and MS-cap (V2) and also optional data encryption.
>
> On Network I choosed TCP/IP (with no static IP's) and "Client for
> MS-Networks". And I also choosed VPT-Type as PPTP-VPN because
> my Server is that type.
>
> Ok, now I tried to start the connection:
>
> Ups: After "connect" I get the Error 609: Device type does not exist.

Oh I just found this to add: The Netwirk connection is NOT displayed as
pptp connection in the list of connections. It appears as L2TP connection
what is definitvely not what I expected to see.

> Hmm, any one seen this problem before.
>
> My System is Win XP Home SP1 with latest online update this morning.
>

> Regards, Lukas

What happens when you try setting up just a plain generic VPN without
altering the settings?

Also note that XP Server implementation of VPN does not work well with
custom TCP/IP settings on the client.. Actually, I have never made
that work properly without CMAK...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com