XP-Pro remote desktop(host) IP addr

I'm able to setup XP-pro remote desktop(host) and winXp-home(remote client)
in a LAN.
I run ipconfig utility in xp-pro to find the ip addr(eg 10.70.2.10), then at
the remote client, i key in the ip addr , it works.

Now i wanna connect from home, i believe the LAN ip addr(10.70.2.10) won't
work. Can somebody tell me how to get the ip addr of host so that i can
control my workstation from home?

( i know the router WAN IP addr of the router , but i can't figure out how
to use the WAN ip and WAN ip of my workstation)
6 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop host addr

    Configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of you workstation.
    Connect using the router WAN ip address

    Varrus has this exactly right.

    You know the WAN IP address of the router.

    You know the LAN IP address of your workstation.

    You need to connect the two--in the router.

    So, you need administrative control of the router to be able to do this.

    "cyberwind" <tanes(remove)@bitwave.com.sg> wrote in message
    > I'm able to setup XP-pro remote desktop(host) and winXp-home(remote
    > client)
    > in a LAN.
    > I run ipconfig utility in xp-pro to find the ip addr(eg 10.70.2.10), then
    > at
    > the remote client, i key in the ip addr , it works.
    >
    > Now i wanna connect from home, i believe the LAN ip addr(10.70.2.10) won't
    > work. Can somebody tell me how to get the ip addr of host so that i can
    > control my workstation from home?
    >
    > ( i know the router WAN IP addr of the router , but i can't figure out how
    > to use the WAN ip and WAN ip of my workstation)

    Varrus and cyberwind,

    I seem to be having exactly the same issue but am not clear on how to
    identify the router's (Linksys BEFSR81) WAN IP address. I have set it up to
    allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of my computer (e.g.,
    192.168.1.x), but for the life of me I have not been able to determine the
    WAN IP. And, like cyberwind, I cannot connect.

    Of course it will be some simple step which will make me smack my forehead
    in disgust, but at this point I'm not above the humiliation to figure this
    thing out.

    Thanks,

    Glenn

    "varrus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of
    you workstation.
    > Connect using the router WAN ip address

    Thank you very much.
    It works !

    "varrus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of
    you workstation.
    > Connect using the router WAN ip address

    Oh my, what a bonehead. Nevermind. Will try the WAN IP address and see how
    far that gets me.

    "Glenn Cole" <stjames5@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Varrus and cyberwind,
    >
    > I seem to be having exactly the same issue but am not clear on how to
    > identify the router's (Linksys BEFSR81) WAN IP address. I have set it up
    > allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of my computer (e.g.,
    > 192.168.1.x), but for the life of me I have not been able to determine the
    > WAN IP. And, like cyberwind, I cannot connect.
    >
    > Of course it will be some simple step which will make me smack my forehead
    > in disgust, but at this point I'm not above the humiliation to figure this
    > thing out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn
    >
    > "varrus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of
    > you workstation.
    > > Connect using the router WAN ip address

    www.ipaddress.com

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 08:35:32 -0400, "Glenn Cole"
    <stjames5@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Varrus and cyberwind,
    >
    >I seem to be having exactly the same issue but am not clear on how to
    >identify the router's (Linksys BEFSR81) WAN IP address. I have set it up to
    >allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of my computer (e.g.,
    >192.168.1.x), but for the life of me I have not been able to determine the
    >WAN IP. And, like cyberwind, I cannot connect.
    >
    >Of course it will be some simple step which will make me smack my forehead
    >in disgust, but at this point I'm not above the humiliation to figure this
    >thing out.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Glenn
    >
    >"varrus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 to the internal address of
    >you workstation.
    >> Connect using the router WAN ip address

Remote Desktop IP Windows XP