AVI incompatible with LARGE drives?

Here's a wierd one,

I'm trying to migrate all of my project files from a WD 100gb drive to
a WD 250gb drive. All of the mp3 files and the mov files play fine
after the copy, but any of the DV (avi) files refuse to play in
Windows Media Player. All I get is a bunch of crazy, pixellated
psychadelic dancing squares accompanied by noises that sound like
somebody spinning a radio dial through all the channels rapidly. It
is really weird.

And it gets weirder: I can then copy those fractured files to another
drive on the system (provided it is one of the older and smaller
drives) and it will play fine! It seems like Mediaplayer has some
problem with these larger drives.

Anybody else having this kind of trouble?

Thanks,
--Max
(WinXP SP1, P4 2.8g, 1gig ram)

Max Krippler wrote:
> Here's a wierd one,
>
> I'm trying to migrate all of my project files from a WD 100gb drive to
> a WD 250gb drive. All of the mp3 files and the mov files play fine
> after the copy, but any of the DV (avi) files refuse to play in
> Windows Media Player. All I get is a bunch of crazy, pixellated
> psychadelic dancing squares accompanied by noises that sound like
> somebody spinning a radio dial through all the channels rapidly. It
> is really weird.

Have you taken the necessary steps to ensure that 48-bit lba is enabled
for both your BIOS *and* your OS?
http://www.48bitlba.com/

-WD

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

Did you format the 250GB as NTFS?

Dont format as FAT32 with that big a drive.....

"Max Krippler" <planet10@socal.rr.com.com> wrote in message
> Here's a wierd one,
>
> I'm trying to migrate all of my project files from a WD 100gb drive to
> a WD 250gb drive. All of the mp3 files and the mov files play fine
> after the copy, but any of the DV (avi) files refuse to play in
> Windows Media Player. All I get is a bunch of crazy, pixellated
> psychadelic dancing squares accompanied by noises that sound like
> somebody spinning a radio dial through all the channels rapidly. It
> is really weird.
>
> And it gets weirder: I can then copy those fractured files to another
> drive on the system (provided it is one of the older and smaller
> drives) and it will play fine! It seems like Mediaplayer has some
> problem with these larger drives.
>
> Anybody else having this kind of trouble?
>
> Thanks,
> --Max
> (WinXP SP1, P4 2.8g, 1gig ram)

This sounds like it could be the answer. I'll give it a try.

So, are AVI files somehow "wider" than other media files?
Or is it just their size that exceeds some limitation (Most of my
files are in the 500mb range).?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:47:16 -0400, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Max Krippler wrote:
>> Here's a wierd one,
>>
>> I'm trying to migrate all of my project files from a WD 100gb drive to
>> a WD 250gb drive. All of the mp3 files and the mov files play fine
>> after the copy, but any of the DV (avi) files refuse to play in
>> Windows Media Player. All I get is a bunch of crazy, pixellated
>> psychadelic dancing squares accompanied by noises that sound like
>> somebody spinning a radio dial through all the channels rapidly. It
>> is really weird.
>
>Have you taken the necessary steps to ensure that 48-bit lba is enabled
>for both your BIOS *and* your OS?
>http://www.48bitlba.com/
>

>-WD

NTFS, Yes.

I just switched on the 48-bit LBA and all is working now !!!

How is it possible that the system formatted and recognized the 250gb
drive, that nothing crashed, that most files worked fine, but that the
older LBA was in use?

It seems very strange.

Max Krippler wrote:
> NTFS, Yes.
>
> I just switched on the 48-bit LBA and all is working now !!!
>
> How is it possible that the system formatted and recognized the 250gb
> drive, that nothing crashed, that most files worked fine, but that the
> older LBA was in use?

If you don't have your OS set up for 48-bit LBA, then the drive will
probably *appear* to be working OK. But once you put enough data on it
that it goes past the 138GB mark, say hello to data corruption.

Fun, huh?

-WD

>> NTFS, Yes.
>> I just switched on the 48-bit LBA and all is working now !!!
>> How is it possible that the system formatted and recognized the 250gb
>> drive, that nothing crashed, that most files worked fine, but that the
>> older LBA was in use?
>
>If you don't have your OS set up for 48-bit LBA, then the drive will
>probably *appear* to be working OK. But once you put enough data on it
>that it goes past the 138GB mark, say hello to data corruption.

The WD 250 Gig drive I bought a week ago for a new computer came with
a CD and instructions to run the software on the CD for installation

I did run the CD, and the software informed me that my default install
of WinXp Sp1a needed a registry change to fully support the drive

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

TRENDING THREADS