I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my
wife bought a Video camera whilst overseas.

Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to
download her DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

You need a firewire card and cable to connect the camera. Many firewire cards
come with the cable. You will also need editing software, but many people find
Windows Movie Maker 2 perfectly acceptable for a beginner program.

These firewire cards can be had as cheap as $10, although one with a cable might
be more.

Technically firewire is more of a data transfer process, not a video capture
card.

"Dunco" <garyduncan@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my wife
>bought a Video camera whilst overseas.
>
> Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to download her
> DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

"Dunco" wrote ...
>I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my wife
>bought a Video camera whilst overseas.

Assuming it is the same video standard (PAL, SECAM, NTSC)
as you use at home? If not, that could be a problem.

> Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to download
> her DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

What kind of camera is it? Does it have Firewire/iLink/IEEE1394 ?

Thanks to all...I purchased a Firewire card, cable etc for a few dollars
and all are operating correctly.