Video Capture Card

I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my
wife bought a Video camera whilst overseas.

Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to
download her DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???
3 answers Last reply
More about video capture card

    You need a firewire card and cable to connect the camera. Many firewire cards
    come with the cable. You will also need editing software, but many people find
    Windows Movie Maker 2 perfectly acceptable for a beginner program.

    These firewire cards can be had as cheap as $10, although one with a cable might
    be more.

    Technically firewire is more of a data transfer process, not a video capture
    card.

    "Dunco" <garyduncan@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my wife
    >bought a Video camera whilst overseas.
    >
    > Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to download her
    > DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

    "Dunco" wrote ...
    >I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my wife
    >bought a Video camera whilst overseas.

    Assuming it is the same video standard (PAL, SECAM, NTSC)
    as you use at home? If not, that could be a problem.

    > Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to download
    > her DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

    What kind of camera is it? Does it have Firewire/iLink/IEEE1394 ?

    Thanks to all...I purchased a Firewire card, cable etc for a few dollars
    and all are operating correctly.

    Dunco wrote:
    > I am new to all this Video stuff as I am a still photographer and my
    > wife bought a Video camera whilst overseas.
    >
    > Question is, do I have to put a Video Capture card into my PC to
    > download her DV tapes to edit them. If so, what should I buy ???

Tuner Cards Video Capture Desktops Video Graphics