Win XP PRO VPN

I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From another
machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the server
without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I have
bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.

Stever
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?

    --
    - Manjari
    "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
    > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From another
    > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
    server
    > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
    > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I have
    > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
    > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
    > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
    >
    > Stever

    Thanks for replying. I did solve my problem. I was able to connect OK & ping
    OK. I just could not see the shares. I was using the same family of IP
    addresses. (192.168.1.x) on both networks. When I changed one network to
    192.168.0.x , then everything was fine.

    I do believe however that this is only a Virtual Private connection btween 2
    computers on 2 different networks. I do not have access to all the computers
    on the network with the Win XP Server connection. To do this would require
    an actual server on the hosting network.

    I have seen internet routers use the term VPN router. Are these just routers
    with VPN passthrough or will these routers take the place of the VPN server
    function and allow a proper VPN network?

    Stever

    "Manjari Bonam [MSFT]" <manjarib@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?
    >

    > --
    > - Manjari
    rights.
    > "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
    > > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From
    another
    > > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
    > server
    > > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
    > > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I
    have
    > > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any
    difference.
    > > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
    > > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
    > >
    > > Stever

    I would do some more testing about the issue of access to other machines at
    the location of the XP "server." I'm not completely certain of the answer
    to this myself--I should be--but I think you should be able to ping and
    connect to them, as long as your VPN IP address is on the same subnet.

    The VPN routers I've looked at do, in fact, host the VPN connection
    directly--i.e. they act as VPN servers. However, this is IPSEC VPN, which I
    believe requires fixed IP addresses for both ends of the link. In practice,
    these devices appear to be rather difficult for the average person to make
    use of.

    "Stever" <service@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
    > Thanks for replying. I did solve my problem. I was able to connect OK &
    > ping
    > OK. I just could not see the shares. I was using the same family of IP
    > addresses. (192.168.1.x) on both networks. When I changed one network to
    > 192.168.0.x , then everything was fine.
    >
    > I do believe however that this is only a Virtual Private connection btween
    > 2
    > computers on 2 different networks. I do not have access to all the
    > computers
    > on the network with the Win XP Server connection. To do this would require
    > an actual server on the hosting network.
    >
    > I have seen internet routers use the term VPN router. Are these just
    > routers
    > with VPN passthrough or will these routers take the place of the VPN
    > server
    > function and allow a proper VPN network?
    >
    > Stever
    >
    > "Manjari Bonam [MSFT]" <manjarib@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?
    >>

    >> --
    >> - Manjari
    > rights.
    >> "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
    >> > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From
    > another
    >> > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
    >> server
    >> > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there
    >> > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I
    > have
    >> > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any
    > difference.
    >> > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names.
    >> > Should
    >> > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
    >> >
    >> > Stever

    Most VPN routers offer IPSEC VPN endpoints (different type of VPN than
    the standard PPTP VPN used in XP Pro).

    There was a long discussion about accessing data while on the same
    subnet.. This should be discouraged whenever possible due to routing
    issues (and IP address conflicts).

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:51:24 -0300, "Stever" <service@s-hautoserv.ca>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for replying. I did solve my problem. I was able to connect OK & ping
    >OK. I just could not see the shares. I was using the same family of IP
    >addresses. (192.168.1.x) on both networks. When I changed one network to
    >192.168.0.x , then everything was fine.
    >
    >I do believe however that this is only a Virtual Private connection btween 2
    >computers on 2 different networks. I do not have access to all the computers
    >on the network with the Win XP Server connection. To do this would require
    >an actual server on the hosting network.
    >
    >I have seen internet routers use the term VPN router. Are these just routers
    >with VPN passthrough or will these routers take the place of the VPN server
    >function and allow a proper VPN network?
    >
    > Stever
    >
    >"Manjari Bonam [MSFT]" <manjarib@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?
    >>

    >> --
    >> - Manjari
    >rights.
    >> "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
    >> > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From
    >another
    >> > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
    >> server
    >> > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
    >> > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I
    >have
    >> > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any
    >difference.
    >> > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
    >> > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
    >> >
    >> > Stever

Connection VPN Windows XP