SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From another
machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the server
without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I have
bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.

Stever

Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?

--
- Manjari
"Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
> I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From another
> machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
server
> without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
> step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I have
> bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
> Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
> they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
>
> Stever

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

Thanks for replying. I did solve my problem. I was able to connect OK & ping
OK. I just could not see the shares. I was using the same family of IP
addresses. (192.168.1.x) on both networks. When I changed one network to
192.168.0.x , then everything was fine.

I do believe however that this is only a Virtual Private connection btween 2
computers on 2 different networks. I do not have access to all the computers
on the network with the Win XP Server connection. To do this would require
an actual server on the hosting network.

I have seen internet routers use the term VPN router. Are these just routers
with VPN passthrough or will these routers take the place of the VPN server
function and allow a proper VPN network?

Stever

"Manjari Bonam [MSFT]" <manjarib@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?
>

> --
> - Manjari
rights.
> "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
> > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From
another
> > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
> server
> > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there a
> > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I
have
> > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any
difference.
> > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names. Should
> > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
> >
> > Stever

I would do some more testing about the issue of access to other machines at
the location of the XP "server." I'm not completely certain of the answer
to this myself--I should be--but I think you should be able to ping and
connect to them, as long as your VPN IP address is on the same subnet.

The VPN routers I've looked at do, in fact, host the VPN connection
directly--i.e. they act as VPN servers. However, this is IPSEC VPN, which I
believe requires fixed IP addresses for both ends of the link. In practice,
these devices appear to be rather difficult for the average person to make
use of.

"Stever" <service@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying. I did solve my problem. I was able to connect OK &
> ping
> OK. I just could not see the shares. I was using the same family of IP
> addresses. (192.168.1.x) on both networks. When I changed one network to
> 192.168.0.x , then everything was fine.
>
> I do believe however that this is only a Virtual Private connection btween
> 2
> computers on 2 different networks. I do not have access to all the
> computers
> on the network with the Win XP Server connection. To do this would require
> an actual server on the hosting network.
>
> I have seen internet routers use the term VPN router. Are these just
> routers
> with VPN passthrough or will these routers take the place of the VPN
> server
> function and allow a proper VPN network?
>
> Stever
>
> "Manjari Bonam [MSFT]" <manjarib@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Are you not able to ping any resources on the remote network?
>>

>> --
>> - Manjari
> rights.
>> "Stever" <capable@s-hautoserv.ca> wrote in message
>> > I have setup a vpn server connection on a Win XP Pro system. From
> another
>> > machine I have created a VPN client connection. I can connect to the
>> server
>> > without any problem, however I cannot see any network drives. Is there
>> > step that I am missing? Both computers are behind internet routers. I
> have
>> > bypassed both of them at the same time but it doesn't make any
> difference.
>> > Both computers are part of workgroups which have different names.
>> > Should
>> > they have the same workgroup name? Both computers are using Win Xp Pro.
>> >
>> > Stever

Most VPN routers offer IPSEC VPN endpoints (different type of VPN than
the standard PPTP VPN used in XP Pro).

There was a long discussion about accessing data while on the same
subnet.. This should be discouraged whenever possible due to routing
issues (and IP address conflicts).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com