Server 2003 Remote desktop

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ok, i have seen this problem loads of times on the news groups, have
worked through them and not got any further.

I have a Netgear RP614v4 router, i have several ports redirected to
192.168.0.1, including 3389.

I have a 2003 server with remote desktop enabled at 192.168.0.1.

When i connect from the lan works fine. When i connect from wan i get
a white box, then an error

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
accept new connections..........."

Anybody know why?

When i try to telnet to 3389 on lan ip it works, when i try on wan ip
it fails. I have set the port forwarding up the same as pptp, http,
ssl, (obviously using the correct port:)) but it does not seem to want
to work. I have even removed the port forward, rebooted router and
re-added.

I am on Blueyonder broadband, do they block the port?

I don't think it is a blocked port--I've never heard a confirmed case of
this.

Any chance of being blocked outbound at the location you are testing from?

If you are testing from inside the router, using the WAN IP--this isn't a
good test. Use an analog dialup modem to test from inside.

If there's a chance a firewall might be involved, test from a third
location--perhaps a friends house?

You are forwarding 3389, TCP?

Other forwarding set up through this router works correctly?

Latest firmware in the router?

"Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message
> Ok, i have seen this problem loads of times on the news groups, have
> worked through them and not got any further.
>
> I have a Netgear RP614v4 router, i have several ports redirected to
> 192.168.0.1, including 3389.
>
> I have a 2003 server with remote desktop enabled at 192.168.0.1.
>
> When i connect from the lan works fine. When i connect from wan i get
> a white box, then an error
>
> "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
> connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
> accept new connections..........."
>
> Anybody know why?
>
> When i try to telnet to 3389 on lan ip it works, when i try on wan ip
> it fails. I have set the port forwarding up the same as pptp, http,
> ssl, (obviously using the correct port:)) but it does not seem to want
> to work. I have even removed the port forward, rebooted router and
> re-added.
>
> I am on Blueyonder broadband, do they block the port?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi there, thanx for the advise.

3389 is not blocked outbound.
I have tried from 2 locations.
I have forwarded the port, completelly that includes tcp udp etc etc.
Yep all other forwarding works spot on.
I am on the latest firmware.

I managed to find something that said RDP uses UPNP and the router
needed UPNP enabled, it is. But server 2003 does not support UPNP!

It doesn't even work from a dialup connection.

If i instigate a VPN and use the local server address it works fine!

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<eMw9#csQEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> I don't think it is a blocked port--I've never heard a confirmed case of
> this.
>
> Any chance of being blocked outbound at the location you are testing from?
>
> If you are testing from inside the router, using the WAN IP--this isn't a
> good test. Use an analog dialup modem to test from inside.
>
> If there's a chance a firewall might be involved, test from a third
> location--perhaps a friends house?
>
> You are forwarding 3389, TCP?
>
> Other forwarding set up through this router works correctly?
>
> Latest firmware in the router?
>

> "Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, i have seen this problem loads of times on the news groups, have
> > worked through them and not got any further.
> >
> > I have a Netgear RP614v4 router, i have several ports redirected to
> > 192.168.0.1, including 3389.
> >
> > I have a 2003 server with remote desktop enabled at 192.168.0.1.
> >
> > When i connect from the lan works fine. When i connect from wan i get
> > a white box, then an error
> >
> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
> > connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
> > accept new connections..........."
> >
> > Anybody know why?
> >
> > When i try to telnet to 3389 on lan ip it works, when i try on wan ip
> > it fails. I have set the port forwarding up the same as pptp, http,
> > ssl, (obviously using the correct port:)) but it does not seem to want
> > to work. I have even removed the port forward, rebooted router and
> > re-added.
> >
> > I am on Blueyonder broadband, do they block the port?

UPnP isn't involved. I'm not certain that's the case with some forms of
Remote Assistance invitation, but it has nothing to do with Remote Desktop.

So--if you connect from a given location and connection type, using a VPN,
to this same router, the VPN connects and you are then able to use Remote
Desktop just fine?

However, if you attempt to connect from that same location and connection
type directly with Remote Desktop, it fails?

Have you looked at Windows Server 2003 carefully? I haven't worked with it
much, but I believe it has similar firewall code to XP Pro in it--is that
firewall involved in your connection, and has it been opened for Remote
Desktop port 3389, TCP?

> Hi there, thanx for the advise.
>
> 3389 is not blocked outbound.
> I have tried from 2 locations.
> I have forwarded the port, completelly that includes tcp udp etc etc.
> Yep all other forwarding works spot on.
> I am on the latest firmware.
>
> I managed to find something that said RDP uses UPNP and the router
> needed UPNP enabled, it is. But server 2003 does not support UPNP!
>
> It doesn't even work from a dialup connection.
>
> If i instigate a VPN and use the local server address it works fine!
>

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> I don't think it is a blocked port--I've never heard a confirmed case of
>> this.
>>
>> Any chance of being blocked outbound at the location you are testing
>> from?
>>
>> If you are testing from inside the router, using the WAN IP--this isn't a
>> good test. Use an analog dialup modem to test from inside.
>>
>> If there's a chance a firewall might be involved, test from a third
>> location--perhaps a friends house?
>>
>> You are forwarding 3389, TCP?
>>
>> Other forwarding set up through this router works correctly?
>>
>> Latest firmware in the router?
>>

>> "Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok, i have seen this problem loads of times on the news groups, have
>> > worked through them and not got any further.
>> >
>> > I have a Netgear RP614v4 router, i have several ports redirected to
>> > 192.168.0.1, including 3389.
>> >
>> > I have a 2003 server with remote desktop enabled at 192.168.0.1.
>> >
>> > When i connect from the lan works fine. When i connect from wan i get
>> > a white box, then an error
>> >
>> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
>> > connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
>> > accept new connections..........."
>> >
>> > Anybody know why?
>> >
>> > When i try to telnet to 3389 on lan ip it works, when i try on wan ip
>> > it fails. I have set the port forwarding up the same as pptp, http,
>> > ssl, (obviously using the correct port:)) but it does not seem to want
>> > to work. I have even removed the port forward, rebooted router and
>> > re-added.
>> >
>> > I am on Blueyonder broadband, do they block the port?

Perhaps the ISP is blocking the port?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:41:57 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>UPnP isn't involved. I'm not certain that's the case with some forms of
>Remote Assistance invitation, but it has nothing to do with Remote Desktop.
>
>So--if you connect from a given location and connection type, using a VPN,
>to this same router, the VPN connects and you are then able to use Remote
>Desktop just fine?
>
>However, if you attempt to connect from that same location and connection
>type directly with Remote Desktop, it fails?
>
>Have you looked at Windows Server 2003 carefully? I haven't worked with it
>much, but I believe it has similar firewall code to XP Pro in it--is that
>firewall involved in your connection, and has it been opened for Remote
>Desktop port 3389, TCP?
>

>"Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there, thanx for the advise.
>>
>> 3389 is not blocked outbound.
>> I have tried from 2 locations.
>> I have forwarded the port, completelly that includes tcp udp etc etc.
>> Yep all other forwarding works spot on.
>> I am on the latest firmware.
>>
>> I managed to find something that said RDP uses UPNP and the router
>> needed UPNP enabled, it is. But server 2003 does not support UPNP!
>>
>> It doesn't even work from a dialup connection.
>>
>> If i instigate a VPN and use the local server address it works fine!
>>

>> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>> I don't think it is a blocked port--I've never heard a confirmed case of
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Any chance of being blocked outbound at the location you are testing
>>> from?
>>>
>>> If you are testing from inside the router, using the WAN IP--this isn't a
>>> good test. Use an analog dialup modem to test from inside.
>>>
>>> If there's a chance a firewall might be involved, test from a third
>>> location--perhaps a friends house?
>>>
>>> You are forwarding 3389, TCP?
>>>
>>> Other forwarding set up through this router works correctly?
>>>
>>> Latest firmware in the router?
>>>

>>> "Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message

He specified that he is on blueyonder. Do you know of verified instances
where ISP's block this port--I haven't heard any, myself?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:eek:rgdb0994b5ml08dei95lapk2vdrimi8ra@4ax.com...
> Perhaps the ISP is blocking the port?
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:41:57 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>UPnP isn't involved. I'm not certain that's the case with some forms of
>>Remote Assistance invitation, but it has nothing to do with Remote
>>Desktop.
>>
>>So--if you connect from a given location and connection type, using a VPN,
>>to this same router, the VPN connects and you are then able to use Remote
>>Desktop just fine?
>>
>>However, if you attempt to connect from that same location and connection
>>type directly with Remote Desktop, it fails?
>>
>>Have you looked at Windows Server 2003 carefully? I haven't worked with
>>it
>>much, but I believe it has similar firewall code to XP Pro in it--is that
>>firewall involved in your connection, and has it been opened for Remote
>>Desktop port 3389, TCP?
>>

>>"Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there, thanx for the advise.
>>>
>>> 3389 is not blocked outbound.
>>> I have tried from 2 locations.
>>> I have forwarded the port, completelly that includes tcp udp etc etc.
>>> Yep all other forwarding works spot on.
>>> I am on the latest firmware.
>>>
>>> I managed to find something that said RDP uses UPNP and the router
>>> needed UPNP enabled, it is. But server 2003 does not support UPNP!
>>>
>>> It doesn't even work from a dialup connection.
>>>
>>> If i instigate a VPN and use the local server address it works fine!
>>>

>>> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message

Someone reported it once - but I don't remember which ISP it was..

I have never heard of blueyonder down here in Texas, so I am not
sure...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:46:55 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>He specified that he is on blueyonder. Do you know of verified instances
>where ISP's block this port--I haven't heard any, myself?
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
>in message news:eek:rgdb0994b5ml08dei95lapk2vdrimi8ra@4ax.com...
>> Perhaps the ISP is blocking the port?
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:41:57 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
>> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>>
>>>UPnP isn't involved. I'm not certain that's the case with some forms of
>>>Remote Assistance invitation, but it has nothing to do with Remote
>>>Desktop.
>>>
>>>So--if you connect from a given location and connection type, using a VPN,
>>>to this same router, the VPN connects and you are then able to use Remote
>>>Desktop just fine?
>>>
>>>However, if you attempt to connect from that same location and connection
>>>type directly with Remote Desktop, it fails?
>>>
>>>Have you looked at Windows Server 2003 carefully? I haven't worked with
>>>it
>>>much, but I believe it has similar firewall code to XP Pro in it--is that
>>>firewall involved in your connection, and has it been opened for Remote
>>>Desktop port 3389, TCP?
>>>

>>>"Dave" <dave@travers-uk.com> wrote in message

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Cheers guys, it was the router. had to reflash witht he same firmware,
factory reset and setup again. Works fine now.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<4jtfb05vlceh86rr4mejjaghmr1mt6dp2r@4ax.com>...
> Someone reported it once - but I don't remember which ISP it was..
>
> I have never heard of blueyonder down here in Texas, so I am not
> sure...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:46:55 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
> >He specified that he is on blueyonder. Do you know of verified instances
> >where ISP's block this port--I haven't heard any, myself?
> >
> >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
> >in message news:eek:rgdb0994b5ml08dei95lapk2vdrimi8ra@4ax.com...
> >> Perhaps the ISP is blocking the port?
> >>
> >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >>
> >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> >> be answered depending on time availability....
> >>
> >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Thanks Dave--good news!