poor quality slideshows

I'm trying to make a slideshow using my families holiday photos and I'm
having very little success with the quality viewed on my 28" television.

If I view the slideshow on my 19" computer monitor the quality is near as
good as the actual photos, but when I save them to DVD and show them on my
television the pictures are full screen and very pixel like in quality.

Maybe its because the images are shown in full screen and not actual size,
say 6x4 or 7x5 for example. Can I reduce the size of image shown on the TV
screen?

I have tried many trial versions of software and they all seem to produce
similar results - must be me.

Can anyone help me

Thanks in advance

Steve

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Steve Morgan" <thor.valhalla@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<cj0uqh$19c$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> I'm trying to make a slideshow using my families holiday photos and I'm
> having very little success with the quality viewed on my 28" television.
>
> If I view the slideshow on my 19" computer monitor the quality is near as
> good as the actual photos, but when I save them to DVD and show them on my
> television the pictures are full screen and very pixel like in quality.
>
> Maybe its because the images are shown in full screen and not actual size,
> say 6x4 or 7x5 for example. Can I reduce the size of image shown on the TV
> screen?
>
> I have tried many trial versions of software and they all seem to produce
> similar results - must be me.
>
> Can anyone help me
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Steve,

What software have you tried?

What resolution (and format) are your original pictures?

I've had GREAT results with ProShow Gold from Photodex
<http://www.photodex.com/>. We have a 36" TV and the pictures have
been beautiful with no flicker during transitions.

Eric

Eric

Have not tried ProShow

Tried:
Ulead
Nero
Windows Movie Maker
to name just three.

Steve

"Eric" <byteguy@lanset.com> wrote in message
> "Steve Morgan" <thor.valhalla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to make a slideshow using my families holiday photos and I'm
>> having very little success with the quality viewed on my 28" television.
>>
>> If I view the slideshow on my 19" computer monitor the quality is near as
>> good as the actual photos, but when I save them to DVD and show them on
>> my
>> television the pictures are full screen and very pixel like in quality.
>>
>> Maybe its because the images are shown in full screen and not actual
>> size,
>> say 6x4 or 7x5 for example. Can I reduce the size of image shown on the
>> TV
>> screen?
>>
>> I have tried many trial versions of software and they all seem to produce
>> similar results - must be me.
>>
>> Can anyone help me
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Steve
>
> Steve,
>
> What software have you tried?
>
> What resolution (and format) are your original pictures?
>
> I've had GREAT results with ProShow Gold from Photodex
> <http://www.photodex.com/>. We have a 36" TV and the pictures have
> been beautiful with no flicker during transitions.
>
> Eric

I just did a slideshow of old pictures as a tribute to my mother
using Proshow Gold (from Photodex) and was VERY happy
with the results (although I did manage to crash it a couple of
times). Picture quality was excellent on the TV and I was happy
with the nice text effects and transitions although I used very few
of the available ones (the object of a project is NOT to see if
you can fit all possible effects in one show -- you will make people
motion sick !!). My project was 446 slides, 18 audio tracks
and ran for 1 hour and 12 minutes. Burned using the "standard"
format (2hrs on DVD) since the show was too big for the HQ
1 hr format. Still looked great. It also allows you to create an
executable (mine was 160 megs as an exe) that
runs on your pc or a VCD etc. It burns directly to my DVD
writer with no problem (or you can save to an ISO format on
your hard drive). You have the option to make multiple copies
in the burn menu too. I do wish it had the option of creating
a DV format output so I could easily import it to other projects,
but they say they have no plans to add a DV encoder to their
software. Download the free trial and give it a shot. The trial
version puts some extra stuff on your video, but still gives you
a good chance to try it out. Well worth the $70 I felt.

mikey

"Steve Morgan" <thor.valhalla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to make a slideshow using my families holiday photos and I'm
> having very little success with the quality viewed on my 28" television.
>
> If I view the slideshow on my 19" computer monitor the quality is near as
> good as the actual photos, but when I save them to DVD and show them on my
> television the pictures are full screen and very pixel like in quality.
>
> Maybe its because the images are shown in full screen and not actual size,
> say 6x4 or 7x5 for example. Can I reduce the size of image shown on the TV
> screen?
>
> I have tried many trial versions of software and they all seem to produce
> similar results - must be me.
>
> Can anyone help me
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

For Ulead, you can go to Project Properties and change the image type from
mpeg to AVI. I think you'll get the improvement you're looking for.