Serial Port Sharing - SpaceBall

We have an IBM SpaceBall that uses the serial port. It's used to control
CAD software. The software is installed on machine X. The user works at
machine Y and that is where he wants the SpaceBall installed. Is it
possible to get this configuration working through Remote Desktop?

If I make the local serial port available to the remote machine, how can I
verify that it is working? I don't see anything special listed in the
device manager.

Here's the configurations we've tried so far:
Remote: Nothing

Remote: SpaceBall Driver

Remote: Nothing

Remote: SpaceBall Driver

Remote: SpaceBall Driver

In case you wondered: I have sat locally and physically attached and
installed the device at both machines and it worked for both.

Thanks,
-Ryan

This is probably one of the class of devices not supported.. COM port
redirection was more intended for communication devices (like modems),
rather than mice type devices..

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:39:40 -0400, "Ryan Miller" <ryan@nospam.com>
wrote:

>We have an IBM SpaceBall that uses the serial port. It's used to control
>CAD software. The software is installed on machine X. The user works at
>machine Y and that is where he wants the SpaceBall installed. Is it
>possible to get this configuration working through Remote Desktop?
>
>If I make the local serial port available to the remote machine, how can I
>verify that it is working? I don't see anything special listed in the
>device manager.
>

>Here's the configurations we've tried so far:
>Remote: Nothing
>
>Remote: SpaceBall Driver
>
>Remote: Nothing
>
>Remote: SpaceBall Driver
>
>Remote: SpaceBall Driver
>

>In case you wondered: I have sat locally and physically attached and
>installed the device at both machines and it worked for both.
>
>Thanks,
>-Ryan

That's what I'm afraid of.

By chance know how to check the status of the Com Port? Is there somewhere
I can find the local port listed on the remote machine to see if it is
sharing properly?

Thanks,
-Ryan

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:s0hdb0l0ih23drvjvu7mj86igmasuispcg@4ax.com...
> This is probably one of the class of devices not supported.. COM port
> redirection was more intended for communication devices (like modems),
> rather than mice type devices..
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:39:40 -0400, "Ryan Miller" <ryan@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >We have an IBM SpaceBall that uses the serial port. It's used to control
> >CAD software. The software is installed on machine X. The user works at
> >machine Y and that is where he wants the SpaceBall installed. Is it
> >possible to get this configuration working through Remote Desktop?
> >
> >If I make the local serial port available to the remote machine, how can
> >verify that it is working? I don't see anything special listed in the
> >device manager.
> >

> >Here's the configurations we've tried so far:
> >Remote: Nothing
> >
> >Remote: SpaceBall Driver
> >
> >Remote: Nothing
> >
> >Remote: SpaceBall Driver
> >
> >Remote: SpaceBall Driver
> >

> >In case you wondered: I have sat locally and physically attached and
> >installed the device at both machines and it worked for both.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >-Ryan

Actually, that is a good question.. I don't know how you could tell
whether it was actually forwarded or not.. Maybe Patrick or one of
the other TS-specific MVPs can provide more specific knowledge.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com