Error connecting to existing session (solved)

Ian

A few months ago I started a thread about a problem I was having when
trying to reconnect to an existing remote desktop session.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%238gRyGtEEHA.1092%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

At the time the suspicion was pointing towards the NVIDIA display
drivers, but nothing i tried ever seemed to fully solve the problem. A
few weeks ago I came across a number of other posts in this group
regarding problems with the NVIDIA drivers and the solution there
seemed to be to disable the NVIDIA Display Driver Service.

At the time I thought what the hell, and decided to give it a try.
Since then I have not had a repeat of the reconnection problem, so I
am confidently able to say that disabling the service fixed it.

FWIW, I also disabled this service on my computer at home and I've
since been able to remotely connect to my home machine from work. I
have also noticed that I haven't had any crashes whilst playing
DirectX games either. In particular I was finding that my computer at
home would crash at least 2/3 of the times I played FarCry, which is
very graphics intensive. Since disabling the display driver service
two weeks ago, no crashes.

Regards
Ian

Thanks!

So if I'm remembering correctly--there were a number of similar machines and
only yours exhibited the problem--any idea why that was?

Any idea what this service is supposed to do for you?

"Ian" <ian_a_c@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A few months ago I started a thread about a problem I was having when
> trying to reconnect to an existing remote desktop session.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%238gRyGtEEHA.1092%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
>
> At the time the suspicion was pointing towards the NVIDIA display
> drivers, but nothing i tried ever seemed to fully solve the problem. A
> few weeks ago I came across a number of other posts in this group
> regarding problems with the NVIDIA drivers and the solution there
> seemed to be to disable the NVIDIA Display Driver Service.
>
> At the time I thought what the hell, and decided to give it a try.
> Since then I have not had a repeat of the reconnection problem, so I
> am confidently able to say that disabling the service fixed it.
>
> FWIW, I also disabled this service on my computer at home and I've
> since been able to remotely connect to my home machine from work. I
> have also noticed that I haven't had any crashes whilst playing
> DirectX games either. In particular I was finding that my computer at
> home would crash at least 2/3 of the times I played FarCry, which is
> very graphics intensive. Since disabling the display driver service
> two weeks ago, no crashes.
>
> Regards
> Ian

Ian

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<OV0SXC3QEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Thanks!
>
> So if I'm remembering correctly--there were a number of similar machines and
> only yours exhibited the problem--any idea why that was?

I've not really had a good look at the setups of the other machines,
but i suspect that the others are probably using the drivers that came
with the HP Quadro cards, whereas I updated my machine to the latest
nvidia drivers after installing the card. That may also account for
the reason that I was the only one using the nView utility.

I think the service is relatively new the the nvidia drivers so older
versions wouldn't have had the problem. This may also explain why the
remote desktop to my home machine stopped working for me, as I
probably updated the nvidia drivers at some point as I tend to play a
lot of games at home.

> Any idea what this service is supposed to do for you?

I have no idea, but I do know that it does an excellent job of getting
in the way and generally making a system unstable. ;-)

Maybe its true purpose is to pre-cache stuff or something. The other
thing it may perhaps do (and these are only guesses) is allow
non-privledge users to alter stuff within the display settings that
would normally require admin rights or something. However, at both
home and at work I use a non-admin account for my day-to-day use and
i've not noticed anything as yet that has stopped working.

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> Thanks!
>>
>> So if I'm remembering correctly--there were a number of similar machines
>> and
>> only yours exhibited the problem--any idea why that was?
>
> I've not really had a good look at the setups of the other machines,
> but i suspect that the others are probably using the drivers that came
> with the HP Quadro cards, whereas I updated my machine to the latest
> nvidia drivers after installing the card. That may also account for
> the reason that I was the only one using the nView utility.
>
> I think the service is relatively new the the nvidia drivers so older
> versions wouldn't have had the problem. This may also explain why the
> remote desktop to my home machine stopped working for me, as I
> probably updated the nvidia drivers at some point as I tend to play a
> lot of games at home.
>>
>> Any idea what this service is supposed to do for you?
>
> I have no idea, but I do know that it does an excellent job of getting
> in the way and generally making a system unstable. ;-)
>
> Maybe its true purpose is to pre-cache stuff or something. The other
> thing it may perhaps do (and these are only guesses) is allow
> non-privledge users to alter stuff within the display settings that
> would normally require admin rights or something. However, at both
> home and at work I use a non-admin account for my day-to-day use and
> i've not noticed anything as yet that has stopped working.

I have definitely heard of an "Nvidia problem" here, but I had thought that
the symptoms were much more clear-cut and obvious--like getting chopped off
right away. It isn't something I've seen first-hand--I guess my relatives
and co-workers don't run the better class of hardware.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out, and I guess I need to ask "what video
card" when trying to arrive at a diagnosis for stuff now.