mpeg2 codec

Recently I started having problems with Windows Media Player stopping to
play long MPEG2 videos. Using GSpot (great too, BTW) I was able to pin
point the problem in the MainConcept MPEG decoder, version 1.0.0.38.
I'm not sure how the MC decoder got in there (maybe it was bundled with
some evaluation software I was trying), but it seems to be picked up by
Windows Media Player even though I later installed a new MPEG2 decoder
(from InterVideo).

The question I have for the NG is this: How do I force Windows Media
Player to use a particular codec?

thanks much.

Don Noti wrote:

> Recently I started having problems with Windows Media Player stopping to
> play long MPEG2 videos. Using GSpot (great too, BTW) I was able to pin
> point the problem in the MainConcept MPEG decoder, version 1.0.0.38. I'm
> not sure how the MC decoder got in there (maybe it was bundled with some
> evaluation software I was trying), but it seems to be picked up by
> Windows Media Player even though I later installed a new MPEG2 decoder
> (from InterVideo).
>
> The question I have for the NG is this: How do I force Windows Media
> Player to use a particular codec?

Unregister the filter that you don't want to use and/or register the one
you want to use.

Either of these programs can simplify the process:

http://www.dvbviewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2543&st=30
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/dxman.htm

-WD