Remote Desktop & IIS

I am trying to understand and then work through the steps to enable me to
access my home XP Pro desktop (behind a NAT router) from another XP Pro
laptop while on trips.

In doing this, I've activated IIS. However, as I learned more, it appears
that all I need is to get the VPN working over the net and then the standard
Remote Desktop Connection (as opposed to "...Web Connection") will work and
leave my computer less exposed. Is this accurate? And if so, what is the
cleanest way to get rid of IIS?

(Also, has anyone put together (or published) something that really
addresses the step-by-step "how-to" and all the variations of setting up
Remote Desktop access across the Internet? I'm figuring this out in such a
piecemeal way that it's hard to be sure if I'm doing only what I need to
do.)

Thanks!

Jim Carls
1 answer Last reply
More about remote desktop

    You can just remove it via add/remove in the reverse of the way you put it
    in.

    You can also not open the firewall on port 80 (or any alternative port you
    might have chosen)--that keeps it from being visible to the Internet, but
    doesn't remove the services running on your machine.

    I don't have a handy list of references, I'm afraid--I should, and I think
    others here have published some articles from Microsoft, and probably from
    other places as well--but if you have specific questions--I'm listening.

    "Jim Carls" <jimcarls@abernathyassociates.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to understand and then work through the steps to enable me to
    > access my home XP Pro desktop (behind a NAT router) from another XP Pro
    > laptop while on trips.
    >
    > In doing this, I've activated IIS. However, as I learned more, it appears
    > that all I need is to get the VPN working over the net and then the
    > standard
    > Remote Desktop Connection (as opposed to "...Web Connection") will work
    > and
    > leave my computer less exposed. Is this accurate? And if so, what is the
    > cleanest way to get rid of IIS?
    >
    > (Also, has anyone put together (or published) something that really
    > addresses the step-by-step "how-to" and all the variations of setting up
    > Remote Desktop access across the Internet? I'm figuring this out in such
    > piecemeal way that it's hard to be sure if I'm doing only what I need to
    > do.)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jim Carls

Remote Desktop IIS Windows XP