Remote Desktop Web Connection, Problems With NAT & Firewall

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I've recently installed a router and I can no longer
remote desktop (web) to a pc behind it.

The pc is running XP pro. The router has a built in
firewall. I've set up a virtual server on it to allow
http on port 3389 to pass through the router. As far as I
have read previously, this will allow the remote desktop
web session to pass through from the internet to my LAN.

The router also uses NAT in order to share my one IP
address between the pcs on my LAN.

Prior to the router I would simply use the address
http://<<ip address here>>/tsweb to connect. Obviously
now my router is taking that IP address, so what address
do I use to connect to a server behind the router what it
is using NAT and assigning LAN addresses dynamically.

I tried http://<<ip address here>>/<<servername>>/tsweb
but obviously the browser was looking for a folder called
servname/tsweb.

I'm running out of ideas.

Anyone had the same problem?

You also need to open port 80, TCP, through the router, forwarded to the
same PC which is running IIS.

That is probably all that you need--if this worked pre-router, it should
work with the router in place if you forward both ports 80 and 3389, TCP, to
the RD/IIS host machine.

Please apply all critical patches asap, and please run Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer and apply every recommendation it makes about IIS
security.