Remote connection odities XP professional

I have installed remote desktop on a windows XP
computer. I am able to connect with the remote desktop
client from a win 2000 computer, win XP home (pre service
pack 1.) On these machines it works fine.

When I try to connect from my windows XP professional
(Service pack 1) machine, I can log on, get to the
desktop but can not click on the desktop icons or the
start menu after about 30 seconds my session
disconnects. This machine is on a cable modem with a
decent connection speed (631 kb at the time of may last
connection)

I read in a knowledge base article that the windows logon
file is different from the original version of XP ( don't
know if that make a difference)

One last thing that I did notice is that my friend's
machine is using 32 bit color setting for his monitor
resolution the highest that is available through the
remote desk connection is 16 bit.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about remote connection odities professional

    Are you using an NVidia video driver on the client machine that fails?

    Try stopping the Nvidia display driver service, if so.

    "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed remote desktop on a windows XP
    > computer. I am able to connect with the remote desktop
    > client from a win 2000 computer, win XP home (pre service
    > pack 1.) On these machines it works fine.
    >
    > When I try to connect from my windows XP professional
    > (Service pack 1) machine, I can log on, get to the
    > desktop but can not click on the desktop icons or the
    > start menu after about 30 seconds my session
    > disconnects. This machine is on a cable modem with a
    > decent connection speed (631 kb at the time of may last
    > connection)
    >
    > I read in a knowledge base article that the windows logon
    > file is different from the original version of XP ( don't
    > know if that make a difference)
    >
    > One last thing that I did notice is that my friend's
    > machine is using 32 bit color setting for his monitor
    > resolution the highest that is available through the
    > remote desk connection is 16 bit.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Craig,

    Greetings. I had some issues similar to yours and I was told that the
    screen size and available colors need to match on both systems. For
    instance, if I wanted to remote control you, and your display settings
    are set to 800x600 using 16-bit colors, then I would need to change my
    settings to match yours exactly. It seems like the remote system
    takes on the display properties from the controlling system, so if my
    suggestion doesn't work, you may want to investigate similar settings.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

    "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<138bc01c44422$6612ee30$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
    > I have installed remote desktop on a windows XP
    > computer. I am able to connect with the remote desktop
    > client from a win 2000 computer, win XP home (pre service
    > pack 1.) On these machines it works fine.
    >
    > When I try to connect from my windows XP professional
    > (Service pack 1) machine, I can log on, get to the
    > desktop but can not click on the desktop icons or the
    > start menu after about 30 seconds my session
    > disconnects. This machine is on a cable modem with a
    > decent connection speed (631 kb at the time of may last
    > connection)
    >
    > I read in a knowledge base article that the windows logon
    > file is different from the original version of XP ( don't
    > know if that make a difference)
    >
    > One last thing that I did notice is that my friend's
    > machine is using 32 bit color setting for his monitor
    > resolution the highest that is available through the
    > remote desk connection is 16 bit.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP